The boating gods must be angry-gctid379337

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The boating gods must be angry-gctid379337

Sometimes, so many things go wrong that you just have to laugh. Here is my tale of woe.

After 6 years of happy 3055 ownership, I decided to explore moving up. I had my sights set on a Carver 350 and started the hunt last winter.

I narrowed it down to a nicely equipped, low hour one and negotiated a good price. 2 months later, I flew out to overlook the survey and do the sea trail. Surveyor was all pro and everything went well. Met the owner and he is a good guy. Survey came back and other than some minor stuff, everything seemed good to go.

Lined up transport, got the funds ready to transfer and then we hit a rock. Ownership trail was incomplete. The P/O bought it years ago, letting the CG registry lapse. He was able to get state registration but never changed ownership and therefore no title. It looked like a couple months to get this straightened out. I decided to pull out of the deal and, after battling the broker a little, am awaiting the return of the deposit.

I talked to my wife yesterday and we decided to halt the shopping and enjoy another summer on the Krab.

Today I get a call from the marina who coincidently launced the boat today and it appears that the starboard gimble bearing is going bad.

I've learned that the positive thing about a string of bad luck is that it's normally follwed by a string of good. I'm more than ready for that to happen.
    Doug
    Hanging Loose
    98 Carver 350 Mariner
    2013-
    KRUSTY KRAB
    2001 305
    5.7 BII
    2006-2013

Per my 88 2160 fuel tank thread in the tech section, I must sacrifice something significant to the same boat gods. In the immortal words of marty the martian, "you have made me verrrrry angry,"

Comment

Ahhhh 305's are better then 45' boats anyway, besides I can still tie up to you without being dwarfed.

Gimbal is a piece of cake, did both mine and u joints in 1 night. The gimbal was probably the easiest part . Make sure you replace both, when 1 is failing, the other isnt far behind.

I am almost ready for dinghy racing

Comment

......and you would have had to do it for the new owner anyway. Get her fixed and go have a great year.

Comment

I do realize the gimbal is just one of those things. It's just odd when it all comes together.

To further illustrate the irony of the cosmos, I got a call from a guy late this afternoon who owns another Carver

that I had been interesed in looking at. He listed it on C/L and when I contacted him, he said he had changed his mind

and decided to keep it. Now it seems as he wants to sell it so of course, I'm going for a peek Friday.

Ryan, no matter what the mother ship is, we will race this summer. I just fired up the 61 Seahorse Sunday for the first time.

Took it to twin city outboard (probably the coolest outboard repair facility on the planet; it's in Shakopee) for an impeller and

a tune up. I will be ready. All this rain has been good for the river and I'm really looking forward to launching something.
          Doug
          Hanging Loose
          98 Carver 350 Mariner
          2013-
          KRUSTY KRAB
          2001 305
          5.7 BII
          2006-2013

Comment

Working...
          X