I might be asking for too much-gctid378963

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I might be asking for too much-gctid378963

I've got a 2001 2455 and would like to mount a 9.9hp kicker and my inflatable to the swim step. Has anyone done this with any success?

Jsanders

Jamison, I mounted a T8 Yamaha to my swimstep on my 2359- the mounting plate was on the swim step, and I reinforced the mount with a stainless rail tube that ran from the bottom of the swim step to the transom.

Comment

I mounted an electric Remote Troll and a Honda 10hp kicker to the swim platform on my 2755.

I had special L shaped brackets made for the Remote Troll, which holds the Honda. On each side, the bracket extends about ten inches onto the platform and each side bracket is bolted on with three evenly spaced 5/8' bolts. Actually, now that I've posted this picture, I can see a number of places where I need to change the bolts out for stainless steel. And install a grommet on the thru hull wire. And clean and wax my boat and remove the old back porch and paint the remote troll and get that extension cord out of there and clean that barbeque, maybe caulk that window again.

It's worked well for three seasons with never a hint of stress. Whenever I'm not using the kicker, I raise it up so the prop is out of the water and the weight is further forward. When I'm trailering the boat, I take the Honda off and put it in the truck.

I have the 7.4 engine so there is no room beside the engine for an adult to reach back to hold the nuts while tightening the bracket bolts. Fortunately the neighbor's son is under five feet and under a hundred pounds so he had no trouble crawling back there and putting the washers, lockwashers and nuts on and holding the wrench while I tightened from above.

Note also the bottom brackets which mount to the transom. I'm going to be cutting the top of the brackets down because I orignally misjudged the height that the Honda needed to be and those slots on top are no longer needed.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/682457=27380-RemoteTrollMount.jpg[/img]

Comment

Definitely doable. I had two inverted L shaped brackets made for my 10hp Honda kicker bracket. The shorter end of the L extends onto the swim platform about a foot and are held down with three evenly spaced 5/8 bolts drilled through the swim platform. I have the 7.4 engine so I had to get the neighbor's son to crawl in beside the engine to place the washers and nuts on the inside of the swim platform. On both lower L sides, an SS rod support runs to a 2" by 3" plate, siliconed and screwed to the transom so the set up really isn't ripping at the swim platform at all.

It's worked well for three seasons with never a hint of stress. I take the kicker off when I trailer the boat and I raise the kicker when I'm not using it. It moves the boat along surprisingly well and is a good emergency engine.

Comment

I'm curious how you two have your tender mounted in conjunction with you kicker mounts?

Jsanders

Comment

I have a 2006 245 with a Yamaha 8hp long shaft on a kicker bracket I made. I had to mount a drop down bracket to the swim grid bracket to keep the prop in the water in following seas. Then like you I wanted a dinghy on the back, but the only way I can see it working is if I have the dinghy upright stern down bow up with home made brakets on the motor mount on the dinghy. I only have a 7 1/2 foot dinghy, and untill I get this worked out I'll just keep on horsing the dinghy up onto the swim grid and stuffin it behind the kicker.
            2006 Ciera 245
            5.0 L Alpha 1 Gen 2
            Half closed cooling system

Comment

Working...
            X