This and that... takeaways from first outing of season-gctid378866

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This and that... takeaways from first outing of season-gctid378866

I launched 3 weeks ago, but the weather never really cooperated until yesterday to go for a ride. Up until yesterday, I've been killing myself washing, polishing, buffing and waxing the boat. I used a DeWalt wheel and 3M FinesseIt to polish, with a gray foam pad, and then I used paste wax and waxed it all by hand. Below is a picture of me yesterday, elated that the polishing and waxing is done. Man, I hate doing that. My arms and hands need the break. But it came out great. Very happy with the results. Anyway, here's some other takeaways from my short excursion yesterday:NavionicsCool program. I like it. I do wish it had Track Up, but I'll get used to North Up. It's not as big a deal as I thought it would be. It's not as good as my regular Garmiin chartplotter (441s). The refresh is about once per second (which is totally fine, but not as good as the Garmin which seems to refresh many times per second. Maybe 5 times? Just a guess there). But all in all, I love having the bigger screen on my Ipad. Well worth the money for the App. I don't like that my iPad goes dim and then the screen goes black every few minutes. Maybe there's a setting for that? But that's kinda annoying. Glare of the iPad was not an issue at all. I was surprised by that too. Overall, it's a nice addition for this year.Garmin BlueCHart G2 Vision CardYesterday was my first time using the plotter with this card. I don't get the hype. It was kinda cool to have the pics, and satellite imagery, but its not really needed. "Fish View" was kinda cool too, but is it really needed? I'm glad I bought a used one on ebay, because if I shelled out the big bucks for one of these things, I'd be PO'd. Maybe I'm missing something and haven't figured out it's "true potential" yet. Not sure.Rocna Anchor 33#I used my new anchor twice yesterday. Set easily and quickly both times. I think I can really get used to the "set it and forget it" mentality. New Stereo systemOver the winter I bought new JBL 6/5" speakers for the radar arch, and a 4 channel JBL marine amp on ebay. What an improvement. Sounds great. The only problem is that when I turn it up, I hear lots of vibrations coming from the radar arch itself. I'm not sure if its the wires in the arch vibrating or the molding on the arch, but i need to figure it out. Maybe I just need some of that sound dampening material to stick on the inside of the arch. I'll try that next. Anyone else have a similar problem?Well, that's about it. Here I am very excited to wear my new t-shirt....

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/682328=27376-2012-05-06 13.30.59.jpg[/img]-John
    2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
    Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
    Bravo II drives
    Closed-cooling

Cool....as more people get out on the water...we should be seeing more smiles just like yours!!

Comment

Way to GO !!!

niiiiice, real nice

Like the story, love the T-shirt and a very pretty spot you were at!

2 thumbs UP

have a fantastic season!

Sarah

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
        Way to GO !!!

niiiiice, real nice

Like the story, love the T-shirt and a very pretty spot you were at!

2 thumbs UP

have a fantastic season!

Sarah
        Thanks. The song, "I'm on a Boat" was a major reason for the stereo upgrade. Lol. There nothing like turning your bow into a dance floor with friends on a sunset cruise blaring that song.

The tee shirts were super cheap on WM's website. My wife got a few for like $5 each or something silly like that.
        Bravo II drives
        Closed-cooling

Comment

Nice!

Good to hear about the anchor, putting mine on this weekend. That thing is a beast!

Comment

John,

Nice post. I've been using the iPad with Navionics for the past month, and the more I use it the more I like it. Here is how to change the timeout setting for your screen. Go to: Settings >> General >> Auto-Lock >> and select 15 minutes.

Your Auto-Lock options are 2, 5, 10, 15 minutes, and NEVER. I'm reluctant to use "Never," as I fear leaving the iPad unattended and running its battery down.

I was pleased to find that wearing polarized sunglasses actually makes the screen easier to read. I had no problems reading the screen. Now that I know I like it I am going to build a shield for it to keep out direct sunlight. That should help keep it cool this summer.

I shopped around on *Bay and found some charger kits for iPhones and iPads. I settled on a kit with a larger 110 volt charger, plus a 2-port car charger (cigarette lighter adapter) with two additional sync cables. Make sure to look for "free shipping." These are so handy (and inexpensive) I am buying a few more. This way I can leave an adapter in both of our cars and two on the boat (one to loan to friends in need - it's amazing how many iPhone/iPad users forget to bring their chargers on a weekend trip...). Ditto with a couple of cables and a 110 adapter to use when on shore power.

Another silly little thing - I took address labels (we use the clear ones with black type on them) and put one on every one of the power adapters. That way if we loan them out or accidentally leave them on someone else's boat, it's easy to find and identify them.

Hope you find this useful,

Rob

Comment

yup. very useful. thanks for the tips.
              Bravo II drives
              Closed-cooling

Comment

Working...
              X