What type trailer-gctid378432

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What type trailer-gctid378432

I have a 2004 bayliner 249 Sundeck boat. I will we trailering it from florida to virgina. I am looking at two differend types, one has "bunks" for the boat to sit on and the other has rollers. which isbest for my boat?

thanls

I have had experience with both roller and bunk traylors and had the winch line break on the ramp. My 18' Avenger jet boat was saved by the safety chain on the roller, Easy Loader. The Barefoot Contessa 2850 did not budge on the bunk, did not even take the slack out of the safety chain. I will always be a bunk traylor boater.

Comment

Bunks will supprt the hull better than rollers-weight is spread out with the bunks while the rollers will create pressure spots.

Especially on a long trip like you are making.

Comment

It depends. if you are going to be using the TRAILER (correct spelling) for launching/retrieving the boat regularly, then the roller style is the way to go. If all you are doing is transporting it one time, then it really doesn't matter, what ever you can get that is in good enough shape for the length of trip you are making.

Some are still under the erroneous impression that bunks provide better support under your hull. Most bunk models support along 2 portions of the hull that, according to at least 1 boat builder, are not designed to support, on their own, the weight of the boat. Most roller trailers, mine included, support the boat using numerous points. Mine has 19 rollers under a 21 foot, 4100lb boat, that's 215lbs per roll, 5 of those are under the keel, arguably the strongest part of the hull. Just take a look at how boats are cribbed on the hard, 2 or 3 under the keel, couple under the chines. Hmmm, let's see, 7 points under a 20000lb boat, that's almost 2700lbs per point, and not one support on the strakes.

Take these facts for what they are worth and make up your own mind.

James

Comment

Working...
        X