Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2850 on a trailer - How tall a garage door?-gctid378371

Hi,

I'm looking into purchasing a trailer for my '86 Contessa Command Bridge. Does anybody have the same setup and park it in a garage? I'd like to know how high of a door to install in the outbuilding.

Thanks

Ron

My buddy trailers a 28ft contessa, he must pull off the radar arch to get into anythiny under 13ft 2". He makes it onto the ferry okay tho! It will also depend on your trailer, best to do is measure it if you can I would not put anything smaller than a 14ft door. After that I believe you'll need the engineers

Comment

Ron, my older 2850 version is a tad bit larger than your 2850 version, and I don't believe that I've ever measured mine before.

I can look out a second story window in my home, and view the upper most part of my boat. I'd have to say that if it were to come into the structure, it would be about 3 feet above that floor level, which would be roughly 13 1/2 feet.

Looks like you'll need to have someone with the same boat pull a string line level across the highest portion and take a measurement to the ground.

I think you'll need a fairly tall door for it.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

My 305 sunbridge was 13'6" on the trailer, the current 2858 is 13'7" on the same trailer. The 14' door is good advice. The permanent cover over my parking area is 14' and clearances are fine, without antennas...
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "GetAway"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Bellingham_2850 wrote:
          Hi,

I'm looking into purchasing a trailer for my '86 Contessa Command Bridge. Does anybody have the same setup and park it in a garage? I'd like to know how high of a door to install in the outbuilding.

Thanks

Ron
          Ron,

I have the 84 2850 Contessa with Command Bridge and load mine on a bunk trailer. I store it in a warehouse during the winter and the warehouse has a 12 foot high door. My boat clears the door by 1/8th an inch. My truck has airbags and I have to empty them to get the 1/8th inch clearance. You also need to be aware of the width, as you have a 9.5 foot beem so the door should also be at least 12 feet.

Comment

Have 14' door - boat used to clear by 7-8" with the arch folded down.

Built the shop knowing that I would have a boat that would be close to max legal height.

There was adjustment in the trailer that I could have gotten a few more inches down but I liked it being a bit higher so I only had to tilt the drive a little bit when I came out of the water to move it around the lot that I stored at during the summer.
            1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
            1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
            Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/681964=27336-024.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/681964=27337-026.jpg[/img]this is one way to go

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/681964=27338-boat home 003.jpg[/img]or the real way into a 14 ft door with inches to spare . i broke a light bulb going in. my advice is but as high a door as your building will allow

Comment

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds like 14' is the magic number. It is a sort of chicken and the egg situation. I have neither the trailer nor the outbuilding yet.

Ron

Comment

Working...
                X