Using an Anchor Buddy for a dinghy-gctid378298

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using an Anchor Buddy for a dinghy-gctid378298

I bought an anchor buddy the other day to you with the dinghy on a boat we are chartering this summer. It seems lie they only way to use a dinghy in tidal waters that's too heavy to carry. Does anyone have any experience? I also bought a poly coated #12 navy type anchor to use with it. Didn't want anything sharp in the dinghy.

I would love to hear how others use the in tidal waters.
    Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

I started using an Anchor Buddy with our dinghy last summer. It works great if conditions are right. It takes a little practice to place the anchor the correct distance from shore to get the full benefit and still be able to disembark w/o getting wet feet.

Some shorelines fall off too quickly or too gradually for the Anchor Buddy to keep the dinghy floating free and clear throughout the tide cycle. I've got two AB's I can put in series and the extra length helps in poor conditions.

All things considered, the AB has made dinghy use a lot easier and has certainly saved wear and tear on the dinghy as well as on the crew.
    Norm
    Ex-'82 Explorer 2070 VP AQ145-280
    Poulsbo, WA, USA

Comment

So do you attach it to the stern of the dinghy? Do you find that you need a short length of chain with it? I can see hw two would be usefull for beaches with gentle slopes.
      Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

My Anchor Buddy is attached to an eye on the transom and I usually deploy it over the stern. I use a folding anchor shackled directly to the AB, no chain. If I'm anchoring the dinghy on an incoming tide and have concerns about retrieval, I won't deploy the flukes on the anchor.

On occasion, I'll deploy the AB after going ashore by balancing the anchor and AB on the tube of my RIB. I then push the dinghy away from shore and, when it's in position, I deploy the anchor with a jerk on the painter (yeah, I know, that makes for two jerks on the painter), which causes the anchor to fall overboard. It's an old trick but it still works.

As I said, it takes a little practice and I'm still getting the hang of it. Sometimes I deploy the AB too early and come up short of the shore and other times too close to shore. It only takes a minute or two to deploy it a second time.
        Norm
        Poulsbo, WA, USA

Comment

sowsear wrote:
          My Anchor Buddy is attached to an eye on the transom and I usually deploy it over the stern. I use a folding anchor shackled directly to the AB, no chain. If I'm anchoring the dinghy on an incoming tide and have concerns about retrieval, I won't deploy the flukes on the anchor.

On occasion, I'll deploy the AB after going ashore by balancing the anchor and AB on the tube of my RIB. I then push the dinghy away from shore and, when it's in position, I deploy the anchor with a jerk on the painter (yeah, I know, that makes for two jerks on the painter), which causes the anchor to fall overboard. It's an old trick but it still works.

As I said, it takes a little practice and I'm still getting the hang of it. Sometimes I deploy the AB too early and come up short of the shore and other times too close to shore. It only takes a minute or two to deploy it a second time.
          Thanks for the tip on how to use the AB. I picked one up this winter and will be using it this season.

Comment

I have been googling the use of the AB and everyone seems to be doing something different. Some hook it to the stern and motor to the beach stretching the thing. It's seems like that would slingshot you back the minute you cut your engine as you approach the shallows. Some are concerned with hooking it to the stern as the manufacture presents and hook to the bow and run in backwards. If the water is warm I can see all kind of options, but I for one would like to sta out of the sound.

Here is what I am thinking about trying and I want to get others opinions. Connect the Anchor Buddy directly to the anchor and at the other end of the AB tie a 100' of poly. Drop the anchor about 30 feet from the shore (more if the tide is falling and less if it's rising). Run into shore letting the AB and the rope out carefully to avoid the prop, but not stretching the AB. Tilt up the motor and beach the boat. Once the boat is unloaded, pull on the line streching the AB. If the anchor is close enough use a carbine to connect the AB end loop to the dinghies bow and pay the Poly out. Run the end of the poly up the beach and secure it. If the anchor was set farther from the shore (tide falling) then tie a loop in the poly after stretching it hard and connect it to the bow.

It would seem to solve both problems, coming to the beach with the AB under a lot of tension and tying of to the stern.

Thoughts?
            Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

Sounds like that should work fine. It takes the guess work out of gauging when to deploy the anchor.
              Norm
              Poulsbo, WA, USA

Comment

I prefer a folding anchor for my dingy, once folded no sharp edges, they come in all sizes.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-lb-Galvani...043b01&vxp=mtr
                Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                Twin 350 GM power
                Located in Seward, AK
                Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Run dink to beach every body gets out. line tied to eye on the bow and attached to fixed postion on beach. Throw the Ab over stern (tied fast to an eye) then pull self in. Get out. dink rebounds off shore you walk away and find a cold one. The Key is to have sufficient line on the bow to adjust to differnet conditions. Should i need the Ab to be set deep, I simply back away from beach after dropping everybody off and then toss overboard. Then pull self in. In these instances, I can adjust for current or wind should need be (i.e., placing Ab up wind/current). By the way, we use the dink a lot and would not be without an Ab.

christopher

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                    I prefer a folding anchor for my dingy, once folded no sharp edges, they come in all sizes.

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-lb-Galvani...043b01&vxp=mtr
                    Thats how I set my remote anchoring system, using the folding anchor. We beach the tender, unload, have the folding anchor sitting the side, tied to a front eye, with say 12 of so feet of small sized chain. A light line painter tied to the eye in the anchor. When unloaded, push the boat out into th edeeper water, When the boat is far enough out, then pull the painter to deploy the anchor, and then tie the painter onto a stake on shore. If you have judged correctly, the boat is still floating after the tide has gone out, and you retrieve by bringing the anchor in with the painter, as it folds back.

Helps when the boat is to heavt to carry back t the deeper water.

Cheers

Comment

Finally got a chance to use the anchor buddy this past summer at Cypress Island and it worked like a charm! Now my plan is run to shore and unload, hand one end of the 100' of line to someone, motor out and drop the anchor and the AB and get pulled to shore.
                      Partner in a 1999 4788

Seattle, WA

Comment

We often use a larger dingy which needs to be anchored off shore a bit.

We attach our anchor to a line 10' long with a small fender and carabineer at the end.

About 30' off shore we loop the middle of a long anchor line (typically 80' of 3/8") into the carabineer and set the anchor in deeper water.

We motor in to shore while paying out the anchor line that was looped into the carabineer.

Once on shore and unloaded the anchor line goes on the bow of the dinghy at about 1/3rd of its length..

Then the dinghy can be pulled out using the longer 2/3rds end of anchor line running out to the float/fender while maintaining control of the shorter end on shore as well.

With both ends of the anchor line on the beach and the middle running through the carabineer you can pull the dinghy in and out as needed.

Hope this helps
                        Northport NY

Comment

The current units are rated for 4000 lbs. they discontinued a. Much smaller model. Does a 100 lb dinghy have enough mass to stretch a ab so you can get to shore?
                          John McLellan White Rock BC
                          "Halifax Jack"
                          1999 2855 383 stroker BII
                          MMSI 316004337

Comment

I have a heavy folding anchor for my 3870 in case I drift close to the rocks, they work great, a smaller version works well on the beach.
                            Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                            Twin 350 GM power
                            Located in Seward, AK
                            Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                            X