Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my volvo 280 has left hand rotation prop was there a reason for this?-gctid344557

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my engine builder said after planing the block to 0, boring it 40 thou lengthing the stroke planing my heads, says exact same motor for mud bogging ,he says keep the TA down and the octane reg and it will be a tourqe monster,, it will be interesting when i make it work hard ..dont worry i will keep u posted jerry up in canada..cold.brrrrrrrr

Comment

Jerry, in post #1 you were asking about a prop, and I assume that you are purchasing a new one.

With your renewed power, your previous prop diamenter and pitch may not work as well with more hp and torque.

Some of the guys have had good luck with the 16" diameter props.

Dizzy_Wizz, no offense intended with my correction to your post regarding no RH Reverse Rotation Volvo Penta engine or LH/RH specific drive.

That's one of the beauties with this drive.

Hope that it made sense to you.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

is that a bigger diameter prop and should i pitch it up a bit.

Comment

I'd do my break-in with a somewhat less agressive prop so you don't risk over-burdening the engine.

As for the 16", maybe start a new thread with your boat/engine/drive listed, and ask what some of the guys are using.

That would give you a point to begin.

You'll have to try several just as any of us do, and then reach your WOT RPM spec.

Don't forget my suggestion re; the brass keeper.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

thanks rick ,the leg has been replaced just before i got her ,the previous owner didnt realize there are rocks in the gulf islands .not many hours on it, could u show a pic of that brass piece?? thanks jerry

Comment

I have a 1989 volvo penta aq131c with a 290 out drive I bought it used about for years ago it was already set up with a rh prop I lost it in the water the company I bought a new one from said they could only find a lh prop I could easily change it. That I know but I'm concerned being that it had been driven so long with a rh prop will changing it to left pose any sort of that or wear on the drive or should I keep trying to find a rh prop?

Comment

Mike, you're hi-jacking a thread from January 2012.

Best to start a new thread specific to your questions.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                X