Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boat sitting in marina for 3 years, what(39)s the best way to get the scum off the hull?-gctid377850

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boat sitting in marina for 3 years, what(39)s the best way to get the scum off the hull?-gctid377850

I'm looking at a few boats, and several have been sitting in a marina for several years. I'm more of a trailer boat guy, and I want to know if there is some magic potion or process to get as much of the scum off the boat and drive without scrubbing and scraping? The prev boats I've had are all trailer boats, and never been left in for more than a few weeks. Now, I'm looking at some with bottom paint, and some with messy hulls. I'm over 50 and the thought of laying in the mud, under the trailer with a scrub brush and cleanser is not fun.

As part of the purchase process, have the vessel hauled and surveyed. While it's hauled, it can be cleaned and repainted. Perhaps you cam make the cleaning/painting a condition of sale....

In any case, I strongly recommend you DO NOT buy the boat unless it's hauled and surveyed. As the boat has been sitting for several years, the immediate question I have is - "what else has been neglected?"

Comment

Wow, that's really great advice on how to best clean the scum off the bottom.

Comment

Didn't mean to over-explain; sounds like you're looking to purchase a boat, and hauling out is the easiest way to clean the bottom. Haul out, power wash- done. If the boat is staying in the water, a diver can go down and scrub the boat.

There's no real magic to it- and some chemicals that would do a good job might be considered enviornmentally unsafe.

Comment

well,,,

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/681321=27232-mission-accomplished.jpg[/img]

Comment

Power wash it. Get the works (toilet cleaner) from Wally World. Spray it on and lightly scrub. Rinse. Wash Paint.

Comment

On &Off hull cleaner. Comes in a gallon jug . It is acid wash , protect yourself . Eyes , skin, body , do not inhale it. Put in pump sprayer full strength spray entire hull to saturate scum , use brush on a stick and scrub to help . do it twice to hard areas. Or have someone else do it .

Comment

oh yes , and use the power washer too!

Comment

Scraping B wrote:
                  On &Off hull cleaner. Comes in a gallon jug . It is acid wash , protect yourself . Eyes , skin, body , do not inhale it. Put in pump sprayer full strength spray entire hull to saturate scum , use brush on a stick and scrub to help . do it twice to hard areas. Or have someone else do it .
                  Mary Kate spray on wipe off is the cleaner to do that job. Follow the instructions to protect youself. Full coverage, boots,gloves, eyes, do not inhale. Put tyvek wrap on the ground, it eats plastic sheets. Highly toxic to people, pets, fish, birds, people, plants and people.

Do. Not. Touch. With. Bare. Skin.

Clean top down. Hull only, no wood or bright work. Work fast and neatly and watch you runoff.

Low pressure spray only, do not apply with a spray washer.

Remove protective clothing at the site and dispose of properly. Residue on you clothing will eat the interior of your car.

Of the chemicals that you normally glance at the label and just use, this is not the one. I love the stuff, it gets stains off in a hurry. But I wear a full face shield and elbow length gloves. Please be careful for yourself, other boats you are next to and the environment.

/safety warning ends
                  Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

Comment

Scraping B wrote:
                    +1 Great stuff I use a paint roller to apply it, let it sit and the scum starts to dissolve and drops off. Power spray and re-apply to stubborn areas, which are very few.

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
                      As part of the purchase process, have the vessel hauled and surveyed. While it's hauled, it can be cleaned and repainted. Perhaps you cam make the cleaning/painting a condition of sale....

In any case, I strongly recommend you DO NOT buy the boat unless it's hauled and surveyed. As the boat has been sitting for several years, the immediate question I have is - "what else has been neglected?"
                      [SIZE]3 wrote:
                      + 1 [/SIZE]

Some drive systems can end up looking like this if the maintenance and sacraficial anodes were not kept up to par.

Worse scenario may be if they were border-line to that, and you could not see it until too late.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Doc, my advise on the acid wash was based on the asumption the boats you were looking at were out of the water on blocks or trailers and you could "see" the hull needed cleaning. Seacrest out.

Comment

Doc, my advise on the acid wash was based on the asumption the boats you were looking at were out of the water on blocks or trailers and you could "see" the hull needed cleaning. Seacrest out.

Comment

I don't recommend this, but it works BEAUTIFULLY for me. I have a one gallon insecticide sprayer. I pour 1/2 gallon of Drano (or pick your drain cleaner) and 1/2 gallon of water. Next, I give the bottom of the boat a mild pressure washing. I then spray the Drano cocktail on it. I wait a few minutes, and give it another pressure washing...this time, to simply rinse the chemical and scum off. The bottom of the boat sparkles and apprears as if it has never had scum in the first place.

Keep in mind Drano is harmful to breathe and expose to skin, so use proper precautions if you use this method. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't fully understand the dangers and risks associated with this chemical.

Comment

+1 more on 2850 Bounty's post.

I just got back from looking at a friend's 47 Bluewater after he had "prop problems"

He has been in the water for two years and although he is a twenty year boater had no clue about Bonding systems

His 18 1nch props are 9 inches, rudders are toast as are the struts and every thru hull.

He has thousands of dollars in damage because of bonding system neglect.

The good news is that his big rectangular bonding anode plate in the transom is in perfect shape.
                              "Adios Dinero"
                              1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
                              Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Comment

Working...
                              X