2359 Power-gctid377806

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2359 Power-gctid377806

Hi, I am a fairly new owner of a 2359, with the Alaska cabin on top. I have a question for those of you experienced with the 2359 and what she is capable of in terms of planing and how much load you can comfortably haul.

I have a 305 Mercruiser.

We were headed out for a trip, loaded up with 4 adults, two big coolers and a nuch of gear for a two night trip. We were unable o get up on leg. The motor did not have enough power to pull the boat up out of the water. We unloaded the coolers and all the gear (well most of it) and we were still unable to get up on leg. Downsizing to two people no gear was sucessful. Now I am not a mechanic, but it sounded to me like the engine was missing. We did have a shop tune up the engine one month prior so I am skeptical of my diagnosis.

But for those of you running a 2359, and especially any with the alaska cabin, what has your experience been like. I know that given enough weight the boat will not get up on leg, but is four people the line?

I'd appreciate any input from other 2359 owners.

I had a 2002 2359 with the 5.0 MPI/Bravo 3 drive, and had no trouble getting on plane. Our normal load was 3 guys (about 200# each) fishboxes full of ice, a large cooler full of ice on the swim platform, fishing gear and food/drinks up forward.

Of note- I found a 2nd fuel filter that was totally clogged- open the access panel in the deck forward of the doghouse (where the batteries are), and look forward under the deck. I found a GM style inline fuel filter there that was original equipment since 2002 (this was in 2008)- that filter left me stranded 30 miles out to sea..... :livid:

Comment

Also, where are you located at? Always helps to put your vessel info and location in your sig.... thanks!

Comment

From my personal experience, you may want to be conservative about your weight you carry. If you have not gone out heavy with four people and your not really yet familiar with your boat you are going to work that little 5L 305. I have had the chance to run a 2359- 5.7L and a 2159 -5L. Both listed are comparable to each other as far as speed and loads for boat size. Both will do 30mph fairly easy and get up on step without the motors working too hard and if you push it; propped correctly you can get 40mph.

IMO a 5L for the wider beam and longer hull is a little strained. If your fishing is successful and start adding more weight it will become very noticeable.Or you can have your buddies drink a dozen every time you bring in a 10lb salmon:kidding I would try to go as light as possible keeping your weight forward and utilize your tabs every time you go to get up on plane. Once you have become more familiar with your boat you'll definitly be capable of deciding what comes along and what stays a shore.

Good luck.

Comment

I have a 89 2459 with the Alaka Bulk head, powered with a 5.7 and a Cobra Leg. I usually am out with 3 to 4 guys, with gear and beer. I run with full water and full fuel. I have never had any problems getting up on step. Sometimes I will play with my tabs, but don't really need to. I cruise comfortably at about 27 mph.

Comment

It definitely sounds like your engine isn't performing at 100%.

My little 19ft 1952 with a 4cyl tops out at 39mph with 1-2 people, and can still get up with 4 people a 100 pound dog, camping gear and crabbing gear. Thats probably 1000 lbs of weight on a 1500lb boat.

That kind of weight shouldn't affect a much bigger and heavier boat that normally has similar performance (from what Ive read, the 2359 can do 40mph also).

Comment

Had an '89 5.0 in my 2159 (new 5.7 being broken in :go-)

I vote for fuel restriction maybe inline filter, tank pick-up, etc.

You should be able to plane with that load, might take a while and load the engine but should do it when running well.

Remote tank might tell you if its starving.

If not starving check compression.

Comment

If all the people and gear are toward the boats strern, it ain't going to plane.

You need to pack your gear farther forward.
                Captharv 2001 2452
                "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

captharv wrote:
                  If all the people and gear are toward the boats strern, it ain't going to plane.

You need to pack your gear farther forward.
                  [SIZE]3 wrote:
                  + 1[/SIZE]

A stern heavy boat will struggle to get up on step/plane!

Also, is the hull clean?

Any marine growth on the hull will cause severe hull drag, and will make a big slug out of your boat.

If the engine is good, and if all else is up to snuff....... fuel delivery, compression good, etc., you may want to know that any engine that is not receiving the correct ignition advance, is going to perform poorly.

You may want to check the ignition system and module, and see if it's all performing correctly and giving the correct progressive ignition advance at the higher RPM.
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

most people tend to sit at the back in the cockpit leaving the helm and cabin empty, when you have the weight that far back unless the water is dead calm you will have a hard time to plane. this is a heavy boat. mine has 250 h/p. i wouldnt want any less power. as others have said, load the front, use your trim tabs, keep your engine tuned.

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. In particular the comment regarding the fuel filter. I will check for that forward one, as well as ensure all are clean, probably just replace whatever I find. I'll check the compression as well as the tuning. Thanks. The hull is spotless, we tried two different props, and we had all four people pressed to the front of the cabin. Just would get up on step. Another thought a friend had was a waterlogged hull. But I did have a boat survey done before I bought this boat and the hull had normal moisture readings all around, except for one spot on the stern where the previous owner put in two u-bolt tie downs. Minor amount.

At any rate it sounds like we should be able to get up on leg with that crew. I will do what I can to ensure it is properly tuned this summer, and try again. If that doesn't work ..... anyone selling a 5.7l -lol.

Thanks again for the tips.

I will also change my signature if I can,

I am usually in the water off the northern BC Coast, Kitimat or Prince Rupert.

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
                        I had a 2002 2359 with the 5.0 MPI/Bravo 3 drive, and had no trouble getting on plane. Our normal load was 3 guys (about 200# each) fishboxes full of ice, a large cooler full of ice on the swim platform, fishing gear and food/drinks up forward.

Of note- I found a 2nd fuel filter that was totally clogged- open the access panel in the deck forward of the doghouse (where the batteries are), and look forward under the deck. I found a GM style inline fuel filter there that was original equipment since 2002 (this was in 2008)- that filter left me stranded 30 miles out to sea..... :livid:
                        I run the same motor in a 2004 trophy pro and have NO problems with 4 adults loaded down under any conditions (I have a 9.9 kicker and a dingy with a 4hp also). Mine actually pops right up. I think you have something else going on there.

Comment

I also have the 2005 2359 with a 5.0MPI and Bravo 3. If you have the carb. and alpha leg I can't speak to that. Mine is loaded down and it takes a little time to get up on plane with a large group of people and stuff but still does fine. Have you done a compression test on the engine? That fuel filter near the batteries got me too. I've had to do a few things with my fuel injectors, clean, and if you know someone that can check for any computer codes that might be a big help. It takes a special unit to read the codes, unfortunately. We love our 2359 but bought it used as well and it seems to always take a while to come up to speed on the boat and how things work. Oh, a shop manual can really be helpful in troubleshooting as well and it is something that you'll want over the years. Hope you find it soon.
                          2005 2359 Bravo III
                          Mercruiser 5.0 MPI
                          Central CA Coast

Comment

Working...
                          X