Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luhrs Marine Group files for bankruptcy-gctid377746

http://militaryfeed.com/luhrs-marine...cy-protection/

In addition to Luhrs, they also make Silverton, Mainship, and Hunter. I wonder if this might be an attractive acquisition target for Brunswick...?

ahahaha I have a certain dock neighbor with a silverton that likes to talk crap about bayliner, That would be epic if brunswick picked them up.

Comment

Just point out Bayliner makes a value boat that customers recognize.

And they didn't file bankruptcy.
      Started boating 1955
      Number of boats owned 32
      Bayliners
      3870 presently owned
      Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Years ago (early 90s), I had my heart set on a Mainship 31.....first boat of that general size to steps to the fly bridge instead of a ladder. Really nice layout for a boat that size with one cabin with bunks and another with island berth.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
          ahahaha I have a certain dock neighbor with a silverton that likes to talk crap about bayliner, That would be epic if brunswick picked them up.
          I'd take a Bayliner over a Silverton any day of the week.

I'm not sure Brunswick has ANY interest though... it's like GM, it was time to consolidate brands, not pick up others at a fire sale. Luhrs does not have enough market share (and maybe hasn't in decades) to interest Brunswick. Hunter seems to do well, though it wouldn't sell Mercury power plants.

Comment

What a shame - let's hope they can re-org under the protection and keep the company alive..... There's so many Hunters and Mainships out there - there has to be a viable business inside the structure somewhere...

Comment

ishiboo wrote:
              I'd take a Bayliner over a Silverton any day of the week.

I'm not sure Brunswick has ANY interest though... it's like GM, it was time to consolidate brands, not pick up others at a fire sale. Luhrs does not have enough market share (and maybe hasn't in decades) to interest Brunswick. Hunter seems to do well, though it wouldn't sell Mercury power plants.
              I agree - this isn't the time to add to your market share by adding more build lines.

I think Mercury Marine could power sailboats if they really wished to. The Mercury Diesel line already includes a 1.9L in-line 4 that would be fine in Hunter's larger vessels. I'm sure Mercury could build or buy/re-badge an even smaller one for the smaller Hunters. And when you get down to the very small boats, like 24' and under, they have outboards.

Comment

:sorrow: With her builder-parent dead, my boat is now an orphan!

Safe and Happy Boating!

ColonyCove

Comment

ColonyCove wrote:
                  :sorrow: With her builder-parent dead, my boat is now an orphan!

Safe and Happy Boating!

ColonyCove
                  Bill, at least your orphan has a lot of brothers and sisters! They made over 500 of the 350/390's and probably at least half that many or more 400's You are in good company..

-Ron

Comment

biohazard wrote:
                    Hmmmmmmm, who is that??????????

Comment

Up until 2 years ago Hunter in Florida seemed busy, not so now, drove by the sailboat plant outside of gainesville and not much going on.
                      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                        Up until 2 years ago Hunter in Florida seemed busy, not so now, drove by the sailboat plant outside of gainesville and not much going on.
                        I'm surprised by this. You'd think that with these higher fuel prices, there would be a shift towards sail power. And with Hunter being a price-point boat, wouldn't you think their sales would be more stable than the competition? I guess there's deeper trouble inside Luhr's marine Group than we're seeing or hearing about.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                          I'm surprised by this. You'd think that with these higher fuel prices, there would be a shift towards sail power. And with Hunter being a price-point boat, wouldn't you think their sales would be more stable than the competition? I guess there's deeper trouble inside Luhr's marine Group than we're seeing or hearing about.
                          There isn't much money saved in sailing, unless the boat is used for long distance blue water voyages on a regular basis. Hunter is generally not a preferred choice in that category.

As they say, sailing is the most expensive way to get from point A to point B for free.

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
                            There isn't much money saved in sailing,
                            Agreed. I sailed, and raced, for enough years to know you're 100% right. But that's not how many boaters feel. A ragbag racer will shell out $5k for a new asymetric head sail every few years but balk at a fill up of a few hundred dollars.

Astral Blue wrote:
                            Hunter is generally not a preferred choice in that category.
                            Agreed. They are coastal and inland cruisers. Not blue water boats.

Astral Blue wrote:
                            As they say, sailing is the most expensive way to get from point A to point B for free.
                            Funny.

If you want to see engines with really high hours on them, look at sailbloat engines.

Comment

We have a lot of sail boats in seward, AK, most use their motors.
                              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                              Twin 350 GM power
                              Located in Seward, AK
                              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                              X