2855 Cross-Country Move-gctid377702

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2855 Cross-Country Move-gctid377702

I live in Seattle, but have recently accepted a position with a company based in a DC suburb of Northern Virginia. I have a 2002 2855 that I love and am thinking about taking. I don't have a trailer or a truck capable of towing, has anyone done a similar move and have ideas on approx how much this could cost or recommendations of where to moor when living in N. VA?

Thanks.

I can't help you with the "move the boat" aspect.... sorry.

There are a few marinas in D.C. The waterfront in SouthWest. A few on the Anacostia river (James creek Marina, Buzzard point, District Yacht Club, Anacostia Marina and a couple more) a few on the Virginia side of the Potomac river (Washington sailing marina, Columbia Island Marina) and a few in Old Town Alexandria. I don't know how much they cost but I'm sure they aren't cheap. I don't think that many of them are full service with land storage. The farther south you go on the Potomac you will find more marinas on both the Maryland and Virginia sides of the river.

You will be within an hours drive of lots of marinas on the Chesapeake Bay and its tributaries, both in the Maryland and Virginia parts of the Bay. That's where I would prefer to be as opposed to way up on the Potomac and in town.

Hope this helped.

Comment

When I was house hunting in SW FL, about a year ago I got a Couple of quotes that were around 5 grand from N.J. As I recall. I'd imagine your move would cost a couple of thousand more? That's my best guess anyway. Let me know what you find out. My plan is to move mine down and retire to the FL house in a couple of years

Comment

5-7K? Holy crap Batman! Maybe I'm out of touch with moving prices but that sounds crazy! At that price I would think about rent (or buying, selling later) a trailer and renting a diesel truck to tow it cross country. Only paying for fuel and tolls has got to be in the neighborhood of 2K, not 7K! 2K I would consider, but 5-7K would leave me with some hard decisions, most likely leaving her behind. :-( Not doubting Seaquel but I hope you find better prices or got a big enough raise to upgrade to a new lady.

Comment

I towed a 289 from AZ to S. Carolina, got 9.5 mpg with my 2000 Ford F-250 diesel. I got 8.5 mpg towing a 305 back to AZ. Let's say you get a bit better, say 10 mpg. Seattle to DC is about 2800 miles, 280 gallons at $4.25 equals $1190, call it 1200 bucks, JUST for fuel. Your boat is 9'10" wide I believe, will you run legal and get permits? And you did mention tolls. Lodging? Extra food cost in restaurants? How much will the rental be? And cost of the trailer? What kind of condition would you get in a used or rented (if possible) trailer?

And how much heavy, over-wide towing have you done? It's not as easy as you may think. I have quite a bit of experience, I wouldn't hesitate, I also have the right equipment. None of this is meant to be critical, just food for thought. If I were hiring out, which I used to do, I wouldn't do it for less than $2 a mile, probably $2.50, which is $5600-7000. If you were a friend or family, still probably $4000-4500. And I would allow for six days, probably make it in five. Five long hard days. And you have to take a week off work, what's your time worth? Again, food for thought...
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "GetAway"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I just priced out moving a carver 35 from New york to minnesota. Best bid by a competent company was 6K. That is a 13 foot high boat that is 12 feet wide. Your mileage may vary. The deal just fell apart (long maddening story) so I can't completely reccomend the trucking company but they seemed very professional, talked to the marina owner to figure out what had to be done to ready the boat. The company was able boat transport and the guy I delt with was Jeff Helman. You might give em a buzz and get a quote.
            Doug
            Hanging Loose
            98 Carver 350 Mariner
            2013-
            KRUSTY KRAB
            2001 305
            5.7 BII
            2006-2013

Comment

Put the move on: www.uship.com

You will get bids on the move. This will give you a good idea on the cost. You do not have to accept a bid so the only cost is some of your time.
              Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
              1998 3055 Ciera
              (yes, a 1998)
              Previous boat: 1993 3055
              Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
              Sea Doo XP
              Sea Doo GTI SE
              Life is short. Boats are cool.
              The family that plays together stays together.
              Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

We moved our Carver 32 aft cabin from Lake Texoma to South Dakota last summer, cost about -- well, the shipper charged $4000 (about 750 - 800 miles), but then we had some prep work done at the marina on the far end too. Some of the work was done to get it ready for shipping and other work just for general purposes so it's a little hard to divide it. Shipping bigger boats is definitely not cheap, to have it done right and done well. We used Hight Boat Transport, based in Dallas but ships all over. We were very happy, he did a great job. Yeah, it's definitely not cheap, but still cheaper and easier than buying another boat on the far end (and selling the old one) if you ask me, particularly if you're happy with the boat you have now.

We were thinking about a Carver 4207 in Florida a couple months ago. Of course that's a big honkin' boat, eleven tons, 15' beam, but the shipping quotes we got on that one ran from $12,000 to $18,000. Yikes! But then I priced hiring somebody to sail it up the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, the price approached the same ballpark. Boating, nothing vacuums out your wallet faster. (Needless to say we never got the 4207 because we haven't won the Powerball yet.)

Comment

Boats on the east coast are usually lower priced than those same models in the Northwest. My advice: sell your NW boat and buy another in your new area. Spending 5-7 grand (which I thing might be on the low side) just doesn't make sense to me. Consider the headache factor in all this move. The permits for wide loads must be considered as it could get even more expensive with the ticket(s) you might get on top of everything else. And trying to find a HD pickup (diesel) and boat trailer to rent and then leave in your new area might be a challenge. Good luck.

Just my $.02

Comment

Thanks....hadnt checked prices there yet. Sad part is I love our boat, makes me sick to sell and any buyer would be getting a well maintained bargain. I gotta lot of thinking to do. This is harder than leaving the rest of the family. I love this boat.

Comment

If you have a good roadworthy trailer under it, it bcomes cheaper, as the trucker only has to hook up and go. No prep necessary.

The commercial guys have yearly wide load permits and don't have to get permits for each trip.

Cost should be a lot less.

Also, you have a trailer to bring the boat home for cleaning and service, after you get to Va. Or, you can sell the trailer, as there is always a market for a used trailer.

U-haul rents trucks capible of towing it. My buddy bought a 2859 in Virginia nad towed it back to Orlando using the u-haul rental. If I remember correctly, it was about 1500 altogether. This way, every so often, you can bring the boat home.

Another friend has a summer home in Cape Cod. He had his 23' boat on a trailer brought up to the Cape in 2003 for $1/mile. If the boat was not on a trailer, the cost would have been twice.

Now, the caviet. If you have not done any real towing before, a cross country trip is not the place to learn. Hire someone to to the trailer, and maybe ride with them. Be a relief driver and learn.

My $.02

BTW, I am not totally sure, but if you are moving foremployment reasons, the move $$$ MAY be dductable.

I moved from upsate NY in 1972 to Central Fl. The deductions (and refund) for the moving expense almost 0ed out the the moving expense. The move was a voluntary on my parts to get a better job (read: more $$$). Consult a tax accountant.
                      Captharv 2001 2452
                      "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

kthoennes wrote:
                        We moved our Carver 32 aft cabin from Lake Texoma to South Dakota last summer, cost about -- well, the shipper charged $4000 (about 750 - 800 miles), but then we had some prep work done at the marina on the far end too. Some of the work was done to get it ready for shipping and other work just for general purposes so it's a little hard to divide it. Shipping bigger boats is definitely not cheap, to have it done right and done well. We used Hight Boat Transport, based in Dallas but ships all over. We were very happy, he did a great job. Yeah, it's definitely not cheap, but still cheaper and easier than buying another boat on the far end (and selling the old one) if you ask me, particularly if you're happy with the boat you have now.

We were thinking about a Carver 4207 in Florida a couple months ago. Of course that's a big honkin' boat, eleven tons, 15' beam, but the shipping quotes we got on that one ran from $12,000 to $18,000. Yikes! But then I priced hiring somebody to sail it up the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers, the price approached the same ballpark. Boating, nothing vacuums out your wallet faster. (Needless to say we never got the 4207 because we haven't won the Powerball yet.)
                        All of the above is why I wouldn't consider trying to do it myself, nor did I think 5 grand was that unreasonable. Regarding capng response about selling her and buying something else?? I don't know. There is no question that you could buy something similar at a great price, but then you also have to practically give away what you have as well. And you don't know what you are getting

Comment

Working...
                        X