Be careful when you just ask for the annual service-gctid376678

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful when you just ask for the annual service-gctid376678

One of my marina neighbors has been getting this for this 2004 boat. Couple weeks ago it overheated while coming in to the slip. He hired my brother to do the work on it this time, and here's what he found:

The other mechanic's "annual" service didn't include a new impeller. So my brother had to further disassemble things to find all the impeller blade pieces, I forgot to get a picture of that handful of junk.

ASK FOR EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT.

Oil change

Impeller

Bellows replacement

Etc.

You should not need to tell the servive person what todo, the service agreement should specify what will be done.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
      You should not need to tell the servive person what todo, the service agreement should specify what will be done.
      If you don't tell him what you want - specifically - it will not get written into the service agreement.

Comment

Impeller replacement each season? Isn't that a bit excessive? I'm averaging a new one every 3 seasons, did it again this season. At $300 a pop per change, I'm glad its not part of my annual service!

Comment

It should be no different than taking you car or truck to the dealer for service, what you see written is what you get, then you sign it.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
            If you don't tell him what you want - specifically - it will not get written into the service agreement.
            That was his point, don't ***ume by "annual" it will include everything you think would be considered "annual" maintenance. I pull my impellers every year but replace them every 2-3 if they look fine, I know many boaters who use their boats year after year without even glancing at them. Around here, the "annual" plans are usually done for layup, are mostly an oil change and winterization.

Comment

Paddy wrote:
              At $300 a pop per change, I'm glad its not part of my annual service!
              Wow! $300 to change an impeller!

Comment

$300.00 for the port engine on my 38 might be a bargin.
                Capt. Ron.
                "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
                "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
                1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
                Hino EH700
                Westerbeke 8.0
                1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
                on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

That one is a *itch for sure Ron.

Doug
                  Started boating 1955
                  Number of boats owned 32
                  Bayliners
                  3870 presently owned
                  Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

$320 actually, that's for a newer Bravo 3 change. I found a mobile mechanic that did it for me this year on a Sunday morning for $190, threw him an extra $60 for coming down on the weekend. I know I can do it myself, he even showed me, but based on all the curse words, I'll let him do it.

As most of know, you can't really check a B3 impeller annually, the hardest part is getting to it, so you might as well change it after going through the trouble to get to it. I make it a point to have it done every 3rd season as part of my service, but back to the original post, you're right, the mechanic should at least take the time to talk to the boat owner about necessary services. "Hey, when was the last time you changed this part or that part, it's due."

Comment

Was the annual service broken down into items A, B, and C? Was your neighbor under the impression that the impeller was being changed? Was he paying for it to be done and it was not being done? Now, more than ever it is necesary to get evrything in writing to cover yourself and for the mechanic to cover themselves as well.

Comment

Impeller replacement each season? Isn't that a bit excessive?
                        What's an engine cost?

My point wasn't that it should be done every year, but that you can't ASSume what is included in such a vague term as "annual service." This guy didn't know he wasn't getting this critical wear item replaced until he overheated. Luckily no damage was done. But it did cost him an extra hour or so of labor to get all the impeller pieces out.

Comment

Capt ron

"$300.00 for the port engine on my 38 might be a bargin."

Please consider pulling the entire pump to get a good look at it, lube, and replace the impeller, check the sheave attachment, check the eccentric, etc.

1. Back off the belt tightening bolt a known fixed amount (I used 15 turns)

2. Remove the hoses from the pump

3 Use flex racthet box wrench to remove the 4 base bolts facing upwards

4. Slip belt and remove the pump

Hope this helps
                          Northport NY

Comment

smitty477 wrote:
                            Capt ron

Please consider pulling the entire pump to get a good look at it, lube, and replace the impeller, check the sheave attachment, check the eccentric, etc.

Hope this helps
                            Its getting my 6'3" 260# old unbendable body in there to do all that is the problem. Starboard side, no problem.

Doug
                            Started boating 1955
                            Number of boats owned 32
                            Bayliners
                            3870 presently owned
                            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

smitty477 wrote:
                              Capt ron

Hope this helps
                              First, you must loosen the four base mounting bolts, then back off on belt tensioning bolt. I just did mine working from between the engines and laying over the top of the port engine. It wasn't as bad as you might think. Also, I'd suggest removing the hoses from the pump fittings and not the fittings from the pump unless they need servicing. I broke six of the eight flange bolts doing the two pumps.

Comment

Working...
                              X