Volvo DUO PROP Walking on water-gctid344210

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volvo DUO PROP Walking on water-gctid344210

As many around here know I am a huge fan of the AQ series DuoProp drives and their magnificent engineering and durability.A group of guys purchasing some Volvo trim cylinder rebuild kits from me mentioned they were for their race skiing boat. Of course this peaked my interest.He then went on to tell me how amazed he was with the drive and the HP it handles and also the extreme conditions it consistently runs in without failure.The pictures say it all....And by the way........... They are using B7 aluminum props. :worthWay ahead of the pack :surrBeautiful Dp-C1 they are using getting her trim cylinders rebuilt

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/646820=23816-Dpc1drivefromskiboat.jpg[/img]AND THEY ARE OFF

Yeah, yeah, yeah.......... those dog gone Volvo Penta Duo Props are over-rated!

Bill, I know full well of the DP benefits, but that is amazing.

Obviously there is a great amount of thrust produced by the FWD prop being larger, and by the AFT prop being smaller but with a more aggressive pitch to it.

Even as such, I would not have believed that the DP drive will pull the nose up like that.

That is crazy!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

You can make a rock fly if you strap a big enough engine on it.

Comment

It has a 350 in the boat. And notice the amount of people on the vessel?

This drive is holding up to this stress day after day year after year. I do not care what anyone says, that is impressive! .

Don't be a hater

Comment

Not a hater here - not a fanboy either.

There was a video posted a while back with a ski-tow boat with outboards doing the same thing.

I imagine a bravo 3 would do the same thing given the same conditions - its as much about power as it is about the drive.

Comment

Mike, it had a BIII on it two years ago......, but they had to remove it after the boat kept flipping over backwards.

(there..........., that ought to keep the Merc guys happy for a while!)
            Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I'd be wearing a life vest

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                Mike, it had a BIII on it two years ago......, but they had to remove it after the boat kept flipping over backwards. [COLOR]#F0FFFF wrote:
                (there..........., that ought to keep the Merc guys happy for a while!)[/COLOR]
                I guess the B3 has more range in its trim/tilt - I can see why they would go to a more restricted range of movement.:kidding

You can see that this boat is rigged for skiing - it is probably purpose built and over powered to get a bunch of skiers up at once.

Comment

You cannot even compare the Bravo 3 to the AQ series duo props.

The weight of the B3 is minimum 30 % more

The shafts are more than twice the size of the Volvos but yet they have a prop shaft deflection (bending) issue. Volvo has no such issues.

The Bravo 3 lowers are a pain in the arse to get apart and need random custom tools just for the lower

Lets not get into the corrosion issue that Mercruiser failed to address for years.

I have pulled both apart and afters years of experience now, I have the facts to make claim that the Volvo AQ series is a superior drive in all aspects including weight, durability, ease of use, ease of maintenance, etc.

Let me see you change a drive bellow on a Bravo 3 in 25 minutes.

Comment

If you really want to impress your Jet Boat buddies......

a properly built GM SBC ........ + this

= this..........

And he's probably going faster than any of us would ever want to ski behind.

Remove the prop set for skiing, and install a high speed set, and...........................

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Working...
                    X