New Swim Deck?-gctid375468

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Swim Deck?-gctid375468

Well, while i'm sitting here waiting for the weather to break so i can splash my boat, I'm toying with the idea of a bigger swim deck. Two reasons for this, 1- more space closer to the water for me to stand while fishing and 2 - I need a bigger deck so that i can safely have my dog (95 lb rottweiler) get in and out of the boat, he has a bad shoulder from a winter accident. Currently my platform is 18" deep, and am considering going to 30" deep. Current platform is supported by 4 brackets, 1/8"x1 1/4" aluminum angle with 1/8"x1 1/4" knee brace. Before i go and start planning this project i need to know if it is possible to adapt this new size platform to my boat (2150 SB). The new supports would be of the same idea just bigger and bolted and welded for extra strength. Cant afford the $1500 that i have been quoted from numerous places and can do it myself for around $350-ish. Cant my transom and motor support this new deck? I figure all up weight might be around 70 lbs.Current deck is in this pic

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/678905=26895-happy momma.jpg[/img]

I was looking to extend mine as well. Here is a website for you. Www.swimplatforms.com

Comment

I would not recommend that one. I'd recommend this instead: http://swim-platform.com/

I've had both, and I've toured both facilities and checked out the construction. I would always prefer the one from these guys instead.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
        I would not recommend that one. I'd recommend this instead: http://swim-platform.com/

I've had both, and I've toured both facilities and checked out the construction. I would always prefer the one from these guys instead.
        Great to know! as I was not a fan of the $2k price tag I got for mine.

Comment

The one for my 2455 was $1200. I checked out both places (they are local to me) and one uses a much lighter and better balsa construction, the other was double the weight. One has a checkerboard texture that is very uncomfortable to sit on with bare skin, the other is a light sand texture that you can sit on. And now I've slipped on the checkerboard once, and a guest did too. Nobody ever slipped on the sand-texture one. All the best features were on the one from http://swim-platform.com .

Comment

Ok i have got quotes from both of those places and both are $1500. So i am thinking of doing this myself as stated above. The question still remains, can my transom support the extra 12". It will only ever be one person on it at a time.

Comment

I can't see what you have for brackets - but if you extend the grid, in addition to some decent sized front/back runners, you can probably run a new set of supports off the bottom of the existing set, but run out to the new outer edge of the new grid. If the grid is indeed a grid (vs a platform), you don't have to worry about a water load on it (as water will go through the holes) - so it only needs to support the weight of whatever's actually on the grid at any given time.

Comment

k-townguy wrote:
                Ok i have got quotes from both of those places and both are $1500. So i am thinking of doing this myself as stated above. The question still remains, can my transom support the extra 12". It will only ever be one person on it at a time.
                A transom of a boat that size can support probably 4500+ lbs equally distributed like a platform... your platform will fail before the transom does, assuming you do it correctly

Check out http://"http://picasaweb.google.com/... a ton of pics, this was the same fiberglass over wood construction method I was thinking about. (From a CSR member, thread here.)

End results are nothing short of spectacular.

Comment

BTW... the brackets have a lot to do with the strength. Locate them as far aft on the platform as possible, and as far down the transom as practical. Be sure to use stainless tube supports on a heavy platform, it is a lot more rigid than aluminum of a similar size.

Comment

I ordered the one from swimplatforms.com. They were great to deal with, fast in construction and shipping to my boat yard guy. He's busy due to the season opening up but hopefully soon he will get our's installed. i can't wait. I'll upload pics when he does! I can't say enough about them.

Comment

We got ours from Swimplatforms.com for a '97 2355. Very happy with it (pic of our boat w platform installed is on their web site). Excellent experience & we're up in Northern VA. so it was shipped here. Put it on ourselves. Top of platform has same no slip checkered texture as the original attached platform. Color match was perfect. $1400-1500 sounds about right.

The platforms must conform to the shape of the stern so there are different varients for each model.

IMO one of the more important attachment areas are on the inside edge next to the stern. Ours sits on top of the original platform bolts to it via counter sinked through bolts. The attachments to the bottom via the stainless steel tubes are normally in compression.

If you're making your own, be sure the attachments at the top are solid.

Don

Comment

Working...
                      X