Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for battery brand opinions-gctid375352

Hello all,

I am looking to replace my starting battery and make-up a house side too. I am looking at AGM bnatteries for both. One starter, and two deep cell for house. I've always gone with just whatever Pep Boys had, but was just looking for some opinions this time.

Thanks,

Dutch

What type of boat do you have? What type of charger?

I'd recommend (if you have the space) to use a pair of 6v gold cart batteries as your house bank. As far as AGM vice flooded, I've used both, and always end up back with flooded.

Costco usually has 6v GC batteries for about $80 each.

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
      What type of boat do you have? What type of charger?

I'd recommend (if you have the space) to use a pair of 6v gold cart batteries as your house bank. As far as AGM vice flooded, I've used both, and always end up back with flooded.

The boats a 1985 2160 (hardtop, full enclosure) Volvo/Penta I/O. I have space in the engine compartment for the starting battery, but not much else. I will be on the boat Saturday, and will be taking some measurements. I was thinking AGM as the PO has the starting battery now in the pilothouse under the pull-out rear seat, and was thinking of putting the house AGM there instead because of the no-venting of the AGM. I don't have much of a load when not running, just VHF, lights, etc. No stereo, frig TV etc.

Dutch.

Comment

I and all my marina neighbors use the Wal-mart marine deep cycle batteries. Inexpensive, last well, and most importantly, easily replaced if you have an issue.

Comment

Here is a reply showing the various group 31 AGM batteries.

Comment

I have interstate. When the day is done there are only a few manufacturers of batteries and they are just branded differently.
            Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
            1998 3055 Ciera
            (yes, a 1998)
            Previous boat: 1993 3055
            Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
            Sea Doo XP
            Sea Doo GTI SE
            Life is short. Boats are cool.
            The family that plays together stays together.
            Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

If the AGM battery's technical characteristics suit your needs, I suggest Lifeline batteries. They will give you the most cycles, highest discharge rates and best recharge rates. They're also not cheap, so be sure you need the AGM's characteristics.

Comment

Group 29 walmart batteries are the way to go..... I got 7 years out of them and I am on am Island every weekend all summer long. I invested in a good xantrex charger years ago and love the setup ......

Comment

They're also not cheap, so be sure you need the AGM's characteristics.
                  Yeah, I have Optima AGM batteries now because they came with my boat, and they suck. The total ampacity is HALF than a regular battery of similar size. So I end up drawing them down too far, which is one thing AGM can withstand better, but if they were larger I wouldn't need to. When they go, they will all be Walmart yellows as replacements.

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:

SwampNut wrote:
                    Yeah, I have Optima AGM batteries now because they came with my boat, and they suck. The total ampacity is HALF than a regular battery of similar size. So I end up drawing them down too far, which is one thing AGM can withstand better, but if they were larger I wouldn't need to.
                    I agree with both.

One other thing to possibly consider is how well you will be managing your HLBB.

I don't care what quality battery you use, if you allow these to remain in any great state of discharge for any great length of time, you will reduce their life.

One of the best bangs for the $$ would be a Xantrex LINK system for you.

I would also try to discourage you from mounting batteries outside of your engine bay.

Keep them as far forward as you can, but in the engine bay, IMO.

And as long as we're planning your set up..... ..... if your MBSS is now in the engine bay, I'd also encourage you to relocate it where it is more easily accessible.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                      Yeah, I have Optima AGM batteries now because they came with my boat, and they suck. The total ampacity is HALF than a regular battery of similar size.
                      That's why http://www.thehulltruth.com/4508875-...eline GPL-31XT w/ 67% more Ampere-hour capacity.

The Optima batteries have 25% less capacity than the other typical Group 31 batteries.

Comment

Lifeline GPL-31XT - 125Ah - ~$325 ea

Costco 6V golf Cart battery- 225 Ah- ~ $80 ea (2 required) = total cost $160

Math seems pretty straightforward to me.....

Comment

I am using an import AGM which is proving to be excellent all around. The distributor happen to be almost across the street from my office and warranty with him is not a problem since he services my electric fork lifts.

Got 4 of these to give me a 400ah house bank. http://www.batteriesexpert.com/batte...igh-resistance. Price was around $200 each.
                          Cheers, Hans
                          2007 Carver 41 CMY
                          Twin Volvo D6-370
                          Montreal, Canada
                          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
                            http://"http://www.lifelinebatteries...eline GPL-31XT - 125Ah - ~$325 ea

Costco 6V golf Cart battery- 225 Ah- ~ $80 ea (2 required) = total cost $160

Math seems pretty straightforward to me.....
                            This isn't about math; the OP wants AGMs for a specific purpose. The flooded lead-acids won't work for him, so it makes no difference that they cost less.

Comment

The Optima batteries have 25% less capacity than the other typical Group 31 batteries.
                              50% less. They are 55aH and the Walmart batteries are either 110 or 120.

Comment

Working...
                              X