246/266 owners-gctid375115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

246/266 owners-gctid375115

how many of you hardtop owners has had the reddish leak inside your hardtop. when bayliner fixed my boat they installed clamshell drains to get rid of any moisture that collects in the hardtop void . even after sealing it all condensation can build up in the void heating and cooling causes moisture . these drains even allow airflow to keep things from rotting. i was informed all 266 builds will include these drains. the drains are located above side windows under lip of hardtop . i have the pictures in a pdf file that i cant seem to post here but if you pm me i can email them to anyone who wants them. i will post a few pics of the inside void of your hardtop so you can see where condesation collects and where the red color comes from.

if any one can tell me how to load up a pdf file i will

I have had this same problem. I re-sealed the hardtop joint several times, but still had moisture build up. I then installed a Yakama kayak rack on the roof. This required four access ports to through bolt the rack. I now leave these ports open all the time while in storage and this seems to help cut down on the moisture present once the boat start to roll!

Comment

Thanks Jamie, I have been leaving the small access coverplate on the bottom right of the hardtop open just for that reason. Seems to help.

I'll add this to the list!

Joey
      2007 Discovery 246
      5.0L MPI BRAVO III
      The "BAY-BEA"

Comment

I sealed the leaks around the handles and other places that Joey mentioned in a post long ago. I'll start leaving the access hole open also while underway.

Thanks.
        Bob
        "Easy Living"
        2007 Discovery 246, 5.0L MPI, CC, B3
        Boating on the Rappahannock River, Virginia

Comment

bob14094 wrote:
          I sealed the leaks around the handles and other places that Joey mentioned in a post long ago. I'll start leaving the access hole open also while underway.

Thanks.
          The clamshell drains are a cheap and easy fix that provides ventilation so you dont need access panel open

Comment

The older brother of your boats (2452 and 242) have 1/4" drilled out holes outside the helm and pax windows for weeping and ventilation. Seems like a simple solution to me. I have not experienced what you 246 and 266 owners have.

I do know when I drilled a hole for my aft pointing LED light, I did not see red fiberglass resins...

If you look closely at radar domes, they also have weep/ventilation holes in them for the same reasons...
            Doug ;}
            MMSI: 338068776
            "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/678987=26898-034.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/678987=26899-032.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/678987=26900-031.jpg[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/678987=26901-033.jpg[/img]some how i deleted pictures from my posts when i tried to delete space in my attachment file . i was trying to make more room for more pics but when i went under settings attachments i thought by deleting the pictures i would make space but all i did was delete pictures from my posts past and present. i am not impressed with myself

Comment

Jamie-I went out and bought the clam shells from West Marine. I bought two large and two small. Thanks for the photos. I plan on installing them in the same spots you did.

Comment

Working...
                X