Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

305 / 3055 windshield vinyl windows have shrunk a bit-gctid374047

Hi Folks,

Looking for some help on getting my front windows to snap in a little better. It appears that they've shrunk a bit with age and are nearly impossible to get snapped in. The left/right I can get about 80% of the windows connected to the little posts that sit up out of the track, but the center window especially I can only get 2, sometimes 3 of them connected. It's pretty cumbersome to try and do this, I end up with a pair of pliers and a rubber mallet while leaning on the wind shield...It's a very frustrating process. Has anyone seen a longer stud that I could put in the track that has some sort of locking mechanism on the top? Or perhaps there's someway to loosen up the top a little bit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Do you have a snap tool? Makes tough snaps easy... I can't find a link, but West Marine has them, $15-20.
    Jeff & Tara
    (And Ginger too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
    "GetAway"
    Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I feel your pain. We use a hair dryer. The admiral runs the dryer as I stretch the top/clears and do the snap. It's amazing how much easier it is, especially on cold days.
      1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
      1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
      1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
      Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
      South Bay Marina

Comment

The only tip I can give you is to zip the zippers last. Once you get all the snaps in, then do the 2 zippers in the middle. That will free up a couple inches to get the snaps on. Once the vinyl shrinks, it's tough to get it to fit properly. I see new vinyl glass in your future.
        2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
        Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
        Bravo II drives
        Closed-cooling

Comment

It might be possible to adjust the bimini top to make attaching the windshield easier.

The hair dryer is like magic at times. Once you get the windshield on leave it for a few days to stretch.
          Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

I've got a snap tool that I use for the sides, but the front doesn't have traditional snaps. It's a series of posts that are on a track built into the windsheild that go through some grommets that are in the canvas. Does anyone happen to know what these are reffered to as? I'd be happy to get some of the posts that are a bit longer with some sort of manual lock on them too.

I really like the idea of perhaps adjusting the bimini. If I could take it just 1/2" down I think I'd be perfect.

The hair dryer could do the trick in a pinch. What we're finding is that we really don't like to climb up to the bow from the side of the boat, that we'd really prefer to go through the center of the windshield. That and we tend to open that section and roll it up if we're under way and it's sunny out.

Comment

Here is a pretty simple solution. I use about 6 on my boat cover as it has shrunk a little.

http://www.carolinaboatoutfitters.co...560261-p-80525
              Doug
              Hanging Loose
              98 Carver 350 Mariner
              2013-
              KRUSTY KRAB
              2001 305
              5.7 BII
              2006-2013

Comment

Aha! 'Lift the Dot' I never would have guessed.

http://www.sailmakerssupply.com/prod_detail_list/46

Comment

Working...
                X