About to buy a new anchor - question-gctid373985

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to buy a new anchor - question-gctid373985

I need to replace the anchor for my 2855. My current one is broken, mainly due to it being 12 years old and the rust finally got to it. It broke during the latest retrieval.

I am thinking of getting a slightly larger anchor, and I found one for $51 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Any thoughts/comments about this anchor would be much appreciated! I'm trying to stick to the sub $60 range. Keep in mind that I'm usually anchored in relatively calm winds, low current and a muddy/clay bottom of the lakes here in East Tennessee.

That's what I use with a 27' boat. Same basic conditions, I was very happy with it.

Comment

Thanks for your input. I'm unsure what I had before.. perhaps a 13 to 15 lb of the same configuration. It held well. I drifted only one but it was a VERY windy day.

I know there are much better and heavier anchors out there, but I wanted to keep this within a budget and feel the 18lb is more than sufficient.

Comment

The Danforth is great for sandy and muddy bottoms; maake sure you have a good length of chain.

IMO ground tackle is one area you really don't want to go cheap on.

Comment

If there is a Windlass in your not so distant future, now is the time to purchase an anchor that comes up into an anchor pulpit and at rest with ease.

Otherwise, your choices are pretty much wide open.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I understand about not skimping on boat supplies/parts, especially ground tackle. Though, I had good results with my smaller anchor, so I figured this 18 pounder would be more than sufficient. It's understood there are much better anchors out there.. but I don't want too much overkill.

I don't see a windlass any time soon. I'm for dropping the anchor via manual labor for the time being.

Comment

I thought a few times I wanted a windlass. Then I priced them. Answered that question right quick. Once or twice I have had to motor over it straight up and cleat it to get out, but once out of the bottom, I'd still rather just haul it in by hand.

Comment

I switched from a Danforth to a Delta Quick set and love the results.
                Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                1998 3055 Ciera
                (yes, a 1998)
                Previous boat: 1993 3055
                Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                Sea Doo XP
                Sea Doo GTI SE
                Life is short. Boats are cool.
                The family that plays together stays together.
                Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

The anchor at your link is only 8 pounds.
                  Jim McNeely
                  New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                  Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                  Brighton, Michigan USA
                  MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Working...
                  X