Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1-gctid373817

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1-gctid373817

My friend works for a company and is giving me a great deal on a Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1

I was thinking to get Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1 to use as my gps for my boat....

Any reviews about the Samsung Galaxy Tablet 10.1???

tks guys

i have it and downloaded the Navionics from the android market. The tab has a built in gps and should navigate as good as any other tab. I have not had a chance to use it on the lake but i have used it in the car . The only thing the android does not do is the course up feature. However they are updating all the maps now ,soooo if you wait and make sure you load the newest version it may include the course up option . This is not a necessary feature . We bought the samsung first , then thought we were missing out and purchased the newest ipad , we hated it and returned it and went back to the Samsung , just our personal opinion.

Comment

Scraping B wrote:
      We bought the samsung first , then thought we were missing out and purchased the newest ipad , we hated it and returned it and went back to the Samsung , just our personal opinion.
      Long live the rebels
      SoundDreams.org

Comment

do u have a case or support to install in the boat....

My phone company is giving me a tablet zero down and 30 bucks with 3G of 6 gigs.... 30 dollars month way cheaper than the IPAD!!!

Comment

30 dollars month way cheaper than the IPAD!!!
          You should take a math class.

Comment

If I get the iPad I have to pay 600 plus for the iPad and pay for the 3G 30 bucks if I sign the contract for 3 years I pay 30 bucks and get the galaxy for "free"

The question is if is any good

Comment

The data plan for an iPad is $20/mo.

Is it any good? The people I know who like them are fellow geeks. They like to tinker with them. I don't personally know any normal consumers who are really happy with their Android tablets. I personally have both, I use the iPad, I tinker with the Androids. They are fun, but not as productive and not as simple to use.

So re-do your math, there's not a big difference.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                The data plan for an iPad is $20/mo.

Is it any good? The people I know who like them are fellow geeks. They like to tinker with them. I don't personally know any normal consumers who are really happy with their Android tablets. I personally have both, I use the iPad, I tinker with the Androids. They are fun, but not as productive and not as simple to use.

So re-do your math, there's not a big difference.
                Is that the 3G (cellular speed) monthly plan because my iPad plan is $30/mo for 3GB of data (4G cellular speed) and there is no contract? You can do a $15/mo plan but it is only for 250M which isn't much data (for me) every month.

I think the issue with the plan the poster is considering is whether he is locked in for 3 years. For the most part he should be OK, but it does limit his ability to move to another provider or perhaps another device.

Also, if you don't care about 4G cellular speeds you can get an iPad 2 for $529 w/16G of memory. So to be accurate it would be a better deal to get the ipad and the $15/mo plan than the Android tablet. You can also get an iPad and NOT have a data plan which would be cheaper still.

So, to the original poster, is this a "good" deal. Sure it's OK but I wouldn't classify it as a "great" deal. You're getting a tablet and they are letting you pay for it over 36 months. Nothing is free even if it comes with a $0 price tag.

Of course the issue of which one is easier to use is something of a religious argument, IMHO. If you just stick to running Apps on the Galaxy I don't see it as any harder or easier to use than an iPad. On the other hand, if you do like to tinker around, I think Android is easier to tinker with over the iPad, unless you jailbreak the iPad but that can have some of its own issues.

Comment

Alex , no i dont have a mount but it sits perfect on my helm , i know there are some killer RAM mounts you can buy .

Comment

Nothing wrong with Android... I have the Xoom... my wife the iPad...I have more flexibility with the Android, but then again I am a developer and I like to tinker...

Installed the Navionics on the Motoola Xoom and it works very well. No 3G connection. It downloads the maps and details at install.

Comment

Is that the 3G (cellular speed) monthly plan because my iPad plan is $30/mo for 3GB of data (4G cellular speed) and there is no contract? You can do a $15/mo plan but it is only for 250M which isn't much data (for me) every month.
                      4G LTE and 1GB per month.

Comment

improve the IPAD, jail break it and it will allow you to do things that apple will not even offer

Comment

I've used both the iPad and iPad2, but own the Motorola Xoom, which I love. But, as others have expressed, I am a tinkerer, a very longtime Linux user, and have a pretty high level of technical expertise --though I don't believe that any of those are required to use and enjoy a 'Droid tablet.

Comment

Those things aren't necessarily required, but it seems like most of the people leaning towards the Android tablets fit that model. That's why I have one; I love toys and tinkering. I'm a geek by my lifetime nature. But I also have a business to run and sales to make, and just find myself grabbing the iPad when I leave the office. There's not any one things I can point to, other than I get more done faster.

improve the IPAD, jail break it and it will allow you to do things that apple will not even offer
                            Just make sure that what you specifically want to do requires a jailbreak, since most people get zero benefit from it. In some cases it causes stability issues. So make sure you find some limitation you want to get rid of, rather than just doing it. I've talked to several people who did a jailbreak to be able to run some software that already had an official Apple counterpart, so it was not needed.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                              Those things aren't necessarily required, but it seems like most of the people leaning towards the Android tablets fit that model. That's why I have one; I love toys and tinkering. I'm a geek by my lifetime nature. But I also have a business to run and sales to make, and just find myself grabbing the iPad when I leave the office. There's not any one things I can point to, other than I get more done faster.

Just make sure that what you specifically want to do requires a jailbreak, since most people get zero benefit from it. In some cases it causes stability issues. So make sure you find some limitation you want to get rid of, rather than just doing it. I've talked to several people who did a jailbreak to be able to run some software that already had an official Apple counterpart, so it was not needed.
                              I finally broke down and bought an iPad. Got my wife one for Christmas and she loves it. I bought the 4G model when it came out and so far I am quite happy with it.

I also have a Kindle Fire which is essentially an Android tablet altough with many features removed (no gps, no camera). It's good for what it does but it's probably not the tablet to get if you need GPS capability.

One piece of advice I will offer is that no matter which direction you choose do your research first. Android tablets are good and for people looking for a GPS device they will work fine, however, there are some tablets that have GPS issues. Most notably the ASUS Transformer Prime. A great tablet ruined (IMHO) because the GPS and WiFi radio reception is hobbled by the aluminum case, so much so that ASUS released a "dongle" for GPS to make it actually work. For me that would have been the Android tablet to get except for those issues.

Comment

Working...
                              X