Got a great compliment today-gctid373529

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got a great compliment today-gctid373529

Took the boat in for service and told them it was a Bayliner and they did not believe me. They said it looked great and looked at the HIN when I told them it was a 1993.
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

My pop always told me that the year of building means S**T on boats and airplanes.

Comment

Well yea, I bet that was really sweet music to your ears, huh?

Good deal

Sarah

Comment

The owner of the shop came out after he was given the work order and said, "we didn't have a Bayliner came in today". If you ask me it was the BEST looking boat on the yard!!
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE

Comment

You should be proud...all that work does payoff in the long run...did you tell him that a substantial check on his part would make the boat his!

Comment

FISHIN00 wrote:
            You should be proud...all that work does payoff in the long run...did you tell him that a substantial check on his part would make the boat his!
            None of them boat. I guess it makes sense you work on them all week and the last thing you want to do is the same thing on the weekend. I got to talking to the owner and 2 of the mechanics. They all have unlisted numbers because of people calling them to come check their boat. Last year the owner was trying to enjoy dinner at Sunsets restaurant when someone asked him if he would go open up his shop so he could get a battery. I could see how that could get annoying. I told him I would have said: "Sure. It will cost $500 for me to get up from this table and go to my shop, and because of supply and demand the price of the battery is double."

And thanks for the compliment Dave. Wait until I replace all that smoked plexiglass that was showing its age. What a bear to get off. It was held on by a metal frame that had caulking, that I expected. What I was not expecting was the double sided glazing tape. And after 19 years it was still holding strong, very strong. Putting the new on will be a two person job...any volunteers??
            1998 3055 Ciera
            (yes, a 1998)
            Sea Doo XP
            Sea Doo GTI SE

Comment

If I lived up there you would'nt even have to look for help!

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
                None of them boat. I guess it makes sense you work on them all week and the last thing you want to do is the same thing on the weekend. I got to talking to the owner and 2 of the mechanics. They all have unlisted numbers because of people calling them to come check their boat. Last year the owner was trying to enjoy dinner at Sunsets restaurant when someone asked him if he would go open up his shop so he could get a battery. I could see how that could get annoying. I told him I would have said: "Sure. It will cost $500 for me to get up from this table and go to my shop, and because of supply and demand the price of the battery is double."

And thanks for the compliment Dave. Wait until I replace all that smoked plexiglass that was showing its age. What a bear to get off. It was held on by a metal frame that had caulking, that I expected. What I was not expecting was the double sided glazing tape. And after 19 years it was still holding strong, very strong. Putting the new on will be a two person job...any volunteers??
                My previous 2855 was the same year and colour which around my neck of the woods was unique. In all my years on the water I have never seen another teal coloured Bayliner. Mine was a beut also.

A little advice on window replacement. I went through the same aggravation as you when removing the windows but actually did this at my dock. Working height was perfect. I did both sides and taped up the window with duct tape and plastic for the week and came back the following weekend with the new pieces to instal.

I was worried about leakage after installation as it did look like the only thing sealing this was the double sided tape. I used double sided tape but only here but more to hold things in place and then sealed the window on the top and sides with product made by innotech north America called adheseal marine. It needs to bond very well but also needs to remain indefinitely flexible which this product does. It is specifically for several types of materials and even says sealing of windows, plexi, lucite, acrylics and fibreglass. Did some searching but could not find it. Trick will be to get the right stuff as you do not want to do this again. The moulding was installed which covered the small bead of sealant I had, used 1 size up SS screws for this part to ensure a good bite.

You may want to look into this stuff. http://www.siliconeforbuilding.com/W...SCS2000SilPruf
                Cheers, Hans
                2007 Carver 41 CMY
                Twin Volvo D6-370
                Montreal, Canada
                Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

JZammetti wrote:
                  My pop always told me that the year of building means S**T on boats and airplanes.
                  Joe,

Old boats, sure, I'll get on one. But you can't get me onto a DC-9 - Never happening

Great story Phil. I like the $500 idea. He'll probably use it next time it happens.

Comment

Hans,

Thank you for the info. I am going to look into what you suggested. I was leaning towards BoatLife Lifeseal caulk.

A little more to the story. One of the mechanics carries a spare shirt with him. If he needs to stop someplace before heading home he changes so people don't stop him in a store and ask questions about why their boat is not running right.
                    1998 3055 Ciera
                    (yes, a 1998)
                    Sea Doo XP
                    Sea Doo GTI SE

Comment

onthelake wrote:

But you can't get me onto a DC-9 - Never happening
                      What is your problem with DC-9's?
                      2007 Discovery 246
                      300mpi BIII
                      Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

our fiberglass dude yesterday said our boat too was in great shape and didnt realize if was as old as it is... we have done major work on it and now she is shiny new looking.. yaaaaaaaaaaa:worth:worth

Comment

I get a kick when people compliment me on my boat and ask what kind of boat it is - I guess they didnt see the big BAYLINER decal across the hull - then when I tell them, I get the standard "Thats a BAYLINER?"...

Next year is your boats 20 year anniversary. Got anything special planned?

Joey
                          2007 Discovery 246
                          5.0L MPI BRAVO III
                          The "BAY-BEA"

Comment

FISHIN00 wrote:
                            If I lived up there you would'nt even have to look for help!
                            Thanks Dave!!

Any DHL plans this year?
                            1998 3055 Ciera
                            (yes, a 1998)
                            Sea Doo XP
                            Sea Doo GTI SE

Comment

joeydiver wrote:
                              I get a kick when people compliment me on my boat and ask what kind of boat it is - I guess they didnt see the big BAYLINER decal across the hull - then when I tell them, I get the standard "Thats a BAYLINER?"...

Next year is your boats 20 year anniversary. Got anything special planned?

Joey
                              Joey, that is what I like about ours, there is no Bayliner on the hull which is odd because most of the '93 3055 you see it is very large on the hull and not decals, they are raised fiberglass letters on the hull. I know that ours was one of the first off the line in Maryland so I am guessing that the name was added to the mold sometime after that. I love that standard "Thats a Bayliner?"
                              1998 3055 Ciera
                              (yes, a 1998)
                              Sea Doo XP
                              Sea Doo GTI SE

Comment

Working...
                              X