Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boat owner with a few questions-gctid373434

I recently purchased an 01 bayliner 215 Capri w/ 5.0

Yesterday, which was my second day out, there were 3-4ft swells on lake Ontario, how should I be trimmed? And how bad is it to have a hard landing when coming down from these?

I have a cover with straps that go under and over the boat and am having problems with it holding water in the bow and cockpit, how can I stop this?

I filled my gas tank and my fuel gauge said I have a 3/4 full tank, and sometimes after cruising down the lake a bit I will stop for a few minutes and the gauge will read that I have more gas than I started with. How can I fix this?

I would like to purchase a prop, prop wrench and a nut for emergencies, what else should I have on my boat for emergencies besides my coast guard package?

Thanks in advance

mhuntley002 wrote:
    I recently purchased an 01 bayliner 215 Capri w/ 5.0

Yesterday, which was my second day out, there were 3-4ft swells on lake Ontario, how should I be trimmed? And how bad is it to have a hard landing when coming down from these?

I have a cover with straps that go under and over the boat and am having problems with it holding water in the bow and cockpit, how can I stop this?

I filled my gas tank and my fuel gauge said I have a 3/4 full tank, and sometimes after cruising down the lake a bit I will stop for a few minutes and the gauge will read that I have more gas than I started with. How can I fix this?

I would like to purchase a prop, prop wrench and a nut for emergencies, what else should I have on my boat for emergencies besides my coast guard package?

Thanks in advance
    If it feels bad when you come crashing down from a large swell.......it IS bad.

The boat will survive quite a lot of this, but will eventually by damaged (cracks, loose fittings etc)

Use some sort of pole under your canvas to raise it in the center to minimize water pooling.

Gas gauges are notoriously unreliable on boats compared to cars that always sit level. Use it only as an approximation of fuel remaining.

Bring along a VHF radio, cellphone, lots of anchor rope, extra anchor (in case you have to cut the first one loose should it get stuck in rocks) a few basic tools and some extra engine oil.

Others on this forum will suggest a bunch of things I can't think of at the moment.

Happy cruising!
    2007 Discovery 246
    300mpi BIII
    Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

An experienced Captain is watching many things, while friends and family are having the best time. What makes for boating safety and fun is pretty broad. Weather, wind, mechanical condition of the boat and trailer, first aid, protection from heat or cold, knowledge of the waters, shallow spots, nearby harbors, shipping traffic and so on, make or break a "fun" trip.The encyclopedia of boating are the Chapman's or Syd Stapleton's books. Often, it's more fun to get into a US Power Squadron class or local boating club.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/677066=26766-Chapman_s.gif[/img]

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/677066=26767-stapletons.jpg[/img]

Comment

The single engine boats tend to sit stern down at rest. We had a 285 it too did this.

The fuel sender is almost always at the rear of the tank so at rest the sender will show more fuel than when you are on plane.

You either learn to know what you have on board or you do as many have and add some type of fuel burn monitoring system. Floscan and Lowrance make some of the best.

I added a FloScan to our 285 after we ran out ONCE.

I added a Navman system to our 305 at the beginning. I would never have a boat without such a system.
        Jim McNeely
        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
        Brighton, Michigan USA
        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Thank you everyone. I'm definitely going to take all of your advice. Especially the fuel monitoring system.

Comment

Working...
          X