Bayliner 2452, rot under battrey-gctid372698

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayliner 2452, rot under battrey-gctid372698

I recently purchased a 1993 Bayliner 2452 in very good condition. I was looking in the door on the transom at the battery and noticed a crack in the fiberglass under the battery box. I probed around with a knife and discovered that the plywood under the fiberglass was soaking wet and rotted. I cut all of the bad plywood which was all of the battery area about 13" by 30" I have made a new piece out of 3/4" structural plywood but here's where I need some advise. I think what happened here was that plywood looks like it got wet from inside the compartment. There's a 1" diameter hole that lets bilge water go in and out of the compartment so it will get water in there we you use the but it wouldn't be able to dry out with no air circulation. Is this a common problem? I can make the new top so I can remove it or I can glass it in like the original piece. Should I glass both sides of the new piece?:hypnotysed::hypnotysed::worth

I'm curious to follow your progress on this one. My 2452 has water constantly pooled on that battery tray shelf because the boat is always slightly tilted to the port. I figure that one day, the water will make it's way to the wood and cause the problem you're experiencing!

Comment

Check just foward of the battery compartments under the stern deck hatches as well. The lower deck below the deck hatches is usually covered with thin particle board. This material absorbs water and stays wet. Underneath the particle board is plywood with a thin coat of resin with no mat. This thin coating of glass glass cracks ( as you have seen). Moisture gets trapped in between the particle board and seep into the cracks in the resin coated plywood underneath. It will rot if it stays wet. Also check the vertical bulkhead which makes up the foward panel of the battery compartment and the aft panel of the deck hatch compartment.

Keep us updated.

Matt

Comment

I'm curious why you aren't considering using marine grade plywood?

I personally, would glass in both sides of marine grade plywood, including sealing the hole so it won't rot again.

Jsanders

Comment

The plywood has 8 ply's and is exterior grade so I thought that it would be good enough, what do you think?

If I seal the compartment then won't the same thing happen again? This could be a design problem,

Comment

Working...
          X