2 dead 1 survivor-gctid372676

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2 dead 1 survivor-gctid372676

As a boater this is extremely distressing, prayers to their families... . This Captain should be brought up on charges...

http://gma.yahoo.com/princess-cruise...opstories.html

I agree, the Capt should lose his license and never set foot on a cruise ship again.
    Doug ;}
    MMSI: 338068776
    "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

I hate cruise ships. Not content with polluting our oceans on a regular basis and smashing into rocks-they are now ignoring the most basic rule of the seas. Don't these Captains have to take & pass some type test before they go blundering around in these foul vessels.

Watched a program on Nova last night, why ships sink. In all cases the Captain failed the passengers and crew, leaving the bridge, leaving the vessel, failing to call the emergency in a timely manner. Thank goodness our freighter and tanker Captains seem to have a better education and more common sense.

Yea I'm pissed.

Machog
      1996 4087 Lazy Days
      2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
      2011 Porsche Cayman
      2010 Lexus IS 250C
      2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

what a dbag.

Comment

I must say in defense of a captain before evryone rushes to quick conclusions. A boat occupant waving T-shirt is not an international distress signal, why did the fisherman did not have flares or orange marine distress flag? I'm not even going to mention VHF both stationary and portable. Don't you think fishing boat captain deserves some blame for lacking proper gear? Secondly how would one ensure these people waving t-shirs are not armed pirates? Pirates and drug runners have been known to stage distress in order to capture good samaritans that come to the rescue.

Comment

GrindKore wrote:
            I must say in defense of a captain before evryone rushes to quick conclusions. A boat occupant waving T-shirt is not an international distress signal, why did the fisherman did not have flares or orange marine distress flag?.
            Any Skipper worth his salt knows that even a person just waving their hands up and down can be a distress signal, no matter what country they are from. It is also a recognised signal according to the USCG. Here is a clip from the USCG Boat Crew manual, Chapter 11: (Notice the text I have in BOLD)

F.15. Hand Signals- Possibly the oldest form of signaling is hand signals, but like other methods of visual

communications, the signals are not standardized and can be easily misunderstood. Boat

crewmembers must be constantly alert for hand signals from other mariners that are not

standard distress signals, but that may be attempts to indicate an emergency situation.
            These

are three standard hand signals that are used as distress signals:

ÔÇó Slowly raising and lowering an outstretched arm.

ÔÇó Signaling with an oar raised in the vertical position.

ÔÇó Holding a life jacket aloft.

As to why the fishermen did not have the proper visual distress signal or a radio/EPIRB, just look at most of the weekend warriors out there.... they are prepared for nothing. I also read in the story that one man was waiving a red shirt, and another was waiving an orange PFD.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Dutch

Comment

GrindKore wrote:
              Secondly how would one ensure these people waving t-shirs are not armed pirates? Pirates and drug runners have been known to stage distress in order to capture good samaritans that come to the rescue.
              Three armed guys in a fishing boat taking over a cruise ship?
              Rafael Figueira
              1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS

Comment

I certainly agree that the fishing boat should have better equipped, but that doesn't exonerate the cruise ship captain and other officers.

Despite the lack of a distress flag or flares, the presence of the boat itself should have been seen as a distress signal. An experienced mariner should have realized that a tiny fishing boat with a 10HP motor should never be 130 miles offshore. Did the captain think that the boat had 300 mile cruising range? If I saw a PWC sitting motionless in the middle of Lake Erie, I would certainly assume that something was wrong.

Comment

Paul from Hamburg wrote:
                  I certainly agree that the fishing boat should have better equipped, but that doesn't exonerate the cruise ship captain and other officers.

Despite the lack of a distress flag or flares, the presence of the boat itself should have been seen as a distress signal. An experienced mariner should have realized that a tiny fishing boat with a 10HP motor should never be 130 miles offshore. Did the captain think that the boat had 300 mile cruising range? If I saw a PWC sitting motionless in the middle of Lake Erie, I would certainly assume that something was wrong.
                  I beg to differ. I see boats and jet-skis in the middle of lake Erie all the time, some of them wave to me. According to this logic you have to stop every time someone waves at you. You basing your opinion on a news article that was likely reprinted from some Ecuadorean newspaper by writers that have no clue what has actually happened.

When I read that story, this is what it sounds like to me;

"Three third world fishermen go out to sea in a bathtub and break down without any basic safety essentials. When they finally see a shiny American cruise ship full of lights and rich Americans drinking Champagne they wave to get their attention but their efforts are in vain. When rescued the survivor tells the story of cowardly American ship that did not stop for them."

Look guys you don't have to copy/paste navigation rules, just take a moment to reflect how many things you have noticed when navigating in open seas. I see boats all the time on lake Erie where you cannot see land on the horizon, and from distance of 1 to 2 miles small boat is nothing more than a white speck on the horizon. Even if you can see people aboard with optics, its impossible to guess if they are waving because they are friendly or distress. It would have been a different story have the cruise ship captain received May_Day call and chose not to react. We can split hairs all day, I just ask that we reserve judgement until all facts are known.

Comment

Spinaxis wrote:
                    Any Skipper worth his salt knows that even a person just waving their hands up and down can be a distress signal, no matter what country they are from. It is also a recognised signal according to the USCG. Here is a clip from the USCG Boat Crew manual, Chapter 11: (Notice the text I have in BOLD)

F.15. Hand Signals- Possibly the oldest form of signaling is hand signals, but like other methods of visual

communications, the signals are not standardized and can be easily misunderstood. Boat

crewmembers must be constantly alert for hand signals from other mariners that are not

standard distress signals, but that may be attempts to indicate an emergency situation.
                    These

are three standard hand signals that are used as distress signals:

ÔÇó Slowly raising and lowering an outstretched arm.

ÔÇó Signaling with an oar raised in the vertical position.

ÔÇó Holding a life jacket aloft.

As to why the fishermen did not have the proper visual distress signal or a radio/EPIRB, just look at most of the weekend warriors out there.... they are prepared for nothing. I also read in the story that one man was waiving a red shirt, and another was waiving an orange PFD.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Dutch
                    I was raising and lowering two blaze orange life jackets, one in each hand the other weekend, not one person stopped and helped me and my family. And this was on the missippi river... the river doesnt seem to be as "friendly" as it was years ago. Pretty sad.

Comment

apexaro1 wrote:
                      I was raising and lowering two blaze orange life jackets, one in each hand the other weekend, not one person stopped and helped me and my family. And this was on the missippi river... the river doesnt seem to be as "friendly" as it was years ago. Pretty sad.
                      I have read your post few days ago and decided not to comment. However you have failed in number of ways to ensure your own safety. That is your burden to ensure safety of your vessel and crew as a captain. In your case I understood you had no VHF, no flares or distress signals, not even a cellphone. I presume you are new to boating and didn't have Tow Boat US or similar towing insurance/service. In fact where I'm at that would be considered safety violation according to Coast Guard and are likely to get you cited.

Whats wrong with the personal responsibility? I'm not advocating not helping mariners in distress, but if you are going out without basics of safety you cannot expect others to carry your burden for you or be there in time to rescue. How do you tell that guy at the ramp that had barely stated his vintage outboard with a can of starter spray that motoring out 5 miles from shore is not a good idea in that tub. I see a lot of new "boaters" that buy a derelict boat, load up tons of friends for maiden voyage and break down without any hope or understanding of safety equipment. I have towed and rescued yahoos like that number of times, it makes me mad when people shift responsibility of their own safety on others.

Comment

GrindKore wrote:

"Three third world fishermen go out to sea in a bathtub and break down without any basic safety essentials. When they finally see a shiny American cruise ship full of lights and rich Americans drinking Champagne they wave to get their attention but their efforts are in vain. When rescued the survivor tells the story of cowardly American ship that did not stop for them."
                        Their efforts werent in vain: they successfully got the attention of the shiny cruise ship. Some rich guests noticed the third world fishermen and notified the crew. Then contacted the Coast Guard when they realized the captain wasnt going to do anything.

It has nothing to do with having or not having flares. Guests using binoculars thought it was a distress signal and called out a crew member. A crew member using the same binoculars saw the same waving and clearly was at least in doubt, because he went to talk to the captain.
                        Rafael Figueira
                        1998 Bayliner Capri 1800 LS

Comment

I personally would wait to hear the "facts" before passing judgement on the Captain, crew or the fisherman.

Comment

GrindKore wrote:
                            I have read your post few days ago and decided not to comment. However you have failed in number of ways to ensure your own safety. That is your burden to ensure safety of your vessel and crew as a captain. In your case I understood you had no VHF, no flares or distress signals, not even a cellphone. I presume you are new to boating and didn't have Tow Boat US or similar towing insurance/service. In fact where I'm at that would be considered safety violation according to Coast Guard and are likely to get you cited.

Whats wrong with the personal responsibility? I'm not advocating not helping mariners in distress, but if you are going out without basics of safety you cannot expect others to carry your burden for you or be there in time to rescue. How do you tell that guy at the ramp that had barely stated his vintage outboard with a can of starter spray that motoring out 5 miles from shore is not a good idea in that tub. I see a lot of new "boaters" that buy a derelict boat, load up tons of friends for maiden voyage and break down without any hope or understanding of safety equipment. I have towed and rescued yahoos like that number of times, it makes me mad when people shift responsibility of their own safety on others.
                            Ya, sure they were dumb for not having any safety equipment. But come on these kids are 16 and 18. We were all dumb at that age and didn't do the right thing. Not to mention they are living in a very poor third world country. I doubt they even had the means to buy these things. It's a miracle they were even spotted. The survior said his friend was waving a orange life vest over his head. The simple fact is they could have been saved and had a second chance at life. Any competent captian would have realized the situtation and would know they had zero chance to make it back. Even with a working boat. But nope... not his problem. "Oh if we stop we might make the passengers mad for being 2 hours late to port". Very sad! Anything would have been better than what he did. Which was nothing.

Comment

Machog wrote:
                              Thank goodness our freighter and tanker Captains seem to have a better education and more common sense.
                              You mean like this?......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exxon_Valdez_oil_spill

Comment

Working...
                              X