Running the Gen set while underway?-gctid372295

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running the Gen set while underway?-gctid372295

I would like to run some aux lighting on the boat like red white and blue twinkle lights attached to the railings(holiday stuff). I would like to do this while underway. Is it going to be ok to run the gen set tied into the shore power and run the engine at the same time? I dont want to take a chance on messing up the charger or refrigerator or any of the other electrical stuff. The gen set is a Honda 2000ie which sets on the swim platform.

Bills2855 wrote:
    I would like to run some aux lighting on the boat like red white and blue twinkle lights attached to the railings(holiday stuff). I would like to do this while underway. Is it going to be ok to run the gen set tied into the shore power and run the engine at the same time? I dont want to take a chance on messing up the charger or refrigerator or any of the other electrical stuff. The gen set is a Honda 2000ie which sets on the swim platform.
    I run my honda 2000 while underway, during the holiday season. Been doing this for 9 years, no problems. My boat is a Christmas ship.

One thing to pay attention to. Don't have the on board battery charger switched on while the genny AND the engine(s) running.

Comment

I did just that on my 38- ran all the Christmas lights on the genny while in the Christmas parade. No problems at all.

Comment

I run my built-in generator while under way all the time. I've wondered if the water movement can reduce the water flow into the generator, but have never seen anything to suggest it's a problem. Anyone have an opinion on that?

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
          I run my built-in generator while under way all the time. I've wondered if the water movement can reduce the water flow into the generator, but have never seen anything to suggest it's a problem. Anyone have an opinion on that?
          It depends on the through hull you have. I know some a/c through hulls do not work underway.

These work while under way, its what my a/c system has and it works fine while moving. Others have had loss of water when moving with other designs.

Comment

Many boats use their generators while under way. I think any build in genny would work that way.

Why not an inverter to run lights while underway?

Doug
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned
            Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
              Most generator through hole seem to be the non-clam shell style. At the relatively slower planing speeds of the 4788 it hasn't been a problem. I'm not sure of the logic of not using a clam shell. Most boats don't. I have had the standard hole style temporarily blocked by plastic bags and seaweed while not moving. By the time the temperature alarm shuts down the genny, the pump impeller is usually toast.

Comment

When you get into the bigger boats, many of them run their gensets 100% of the time they are away from a dock. Owners arrive at the boat, start the genny, sometimes more than 1 genny, disconnect shorepower and leave. The genny runs 24/7 until they return to the dock.

I will do this on occasion, like when I'm transiting some St. Lawrence Seaway locks. My fridge, freezer and icemaker are all 110VAC. They will run off the inverter but if I'm idling a lot or travelling slowly I will run the genny.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
                  It depends on the through hull you have. I know some a/c through hulls do not work underway.
                  The OP is asking about the Honda 2000 ie.

dmcb wrote:
                  Many boats use their generators while under way. I think any build in genny would work that way.

Why not an inverter to run lights while underway?

Doug
                  My thoughts exactly. Use LED lights, and operate them from your inverter.
                  Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                  2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                  Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                  Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                  Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                    The OP is asking about the Honda 2000 ie.

My thoughts exactly. Use LED lights, and operate them from your inverter.
                    I was refering to carlos or anything else using a built in gen.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
                      I was refering to carlos or anything else using a built in gen.
                      Ah, I stand corrected! :surr

In which case I agree that the thru hull would be scooping forward in order to run while under way at above hull speed.
                      Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                        Ah, I stand corrected! :surr

In which case I agree that the thru hull would be scooping forward in order to run while under way at above hull speed.

I was hoping you would bold half my words and give me 10 pics, I am disapointed! :surr

Comment

Bills2855 wrote:
                          . The gen set is a Honda 2000ie which sets on the swim platform.
                          sticking with the OP's question and not the other BS that is ever present on here anymore ..

I saved a whole trip when my Alternator took a dump ,, fired up the Honda and it took over all the charging chores

Comment

2651 got fun? wrote:
                            sticking with the OP's question and not the other BS that is ever present on here anymore ..

I saved a whole trip when my Alternator took a dump ,, fired up the Honda and it took over all the charging chores
                            I made the mistake of leaving my on board battery charger ON while my honda genny was running, And the engine running. After about a 1/2 hour my alternator fried. Just FYI.

Comment

interesting ,, ya think it would have been happy to have the help and not been the wiser ?

Comment

Working...
                              X