Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

246 5.0 MPI Underpowered?-gctid371566

Hi

I have been looking at buying either a used 242 or 246. A lot of people feel that the 242 is underpowered with the 5.0 carb. The 246 is a heavier boat. Is the 5.0 MPI considered adequate in this boat? I was thinking about getting the 5.7 carb in the 246. I know the two engines have similar HP but I would have thought the 5.7 would have more torque. Not really sure about this and looking for some advice.

I don't know where you get this information, but 5.0/Alpha 1 is not under-powered on 242.

This is not how undepowerd boats gets out of the hole...

Comment

Sorry, not trying to start an issue here. But, the 246 is heavier again than the 242 so I thought there could be an issue, despite the fact that the 5.0 MPI has more horsepower.

Comment

These boats are similar as in they have evolved from 2452>242>246 in Bayliner marketing with only slight modifications with each generation. I do not believe there is a dramatic weight difference between them all.

Edit: I just dug up more info

246 Dry Weight, 6354

242 Dry Weight: 5497

So it appears 246 is 857lbs heavier. Based on my experience with the 242 and 220Hp 5.0 the 260HP MPI version would be more than adequate IMHO.

Comment

I know its subjective, but I have no problem with my 5.0L MPI on my 246.

Only time it strains is when Im loaded for the day, the gas and water tanks are full and I have about 4-6 adults on board, but with the trim tabs down, it gets to plane after a few seconds.

I try to keep the gas tank between 1/2 and 3/4 full...great boat!

Joey
          2007 Discovery 246
          5.0L MPI BRAVO III
          The "BAY-BEA"

Comment

It depends upon what you consider underpowered/what performance you are expecting.
            Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
            1998 3055 Ciera
            (yes, a 1998)
            Previous boat: 1993 3055
            Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
            Sea Doo XP
            Sea Doo GTI SE
            Life is short. Boats are cool.
            The family that plays together stays together.
            Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
              It depends upon what you consider underpowered/what performance you are expecting.
              Not looking for a speedboat. Just moving the family around Long Island Sound and possibly venturing out to Block Island.

Comment

I had a 1994 2655 with the 5.7 but I believe the HP was 260.

I don't know if the hulls are the same but that HP was more than enough. It was a 40 mph boat with 4 in it.

Best thing is not buy anything without a survey and a sea trial. When doing a sea trial take several adults with you.

The reason is the boats for sale usually are empty, low on fuel, no water, no gear and supplies.

You can add over 1000# quickly after you equip and provision it.

Weight does make a difference. A big difference. An empty boat can jump on plane while the same boat as you will use it will struggle.

And as always, no one complains of to much horsepower. Many complain of not having enough.

Doug
                Started boating 1955
                Number of boats owned 32
                Bayliners
                3870 presently owned
                Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

i have the 5.7 mpi and i love it planes with a full load with no problem , but as joeydiver says so does his and he probaly burns less fuel. we dont use it to go fast we bought this style boat to cruise in any weather.

Comment

GrindKore wrote:
                    I don't know where you get this information, but 5.0/Alpha 1 is not under-powered on 242.

This is not how undepowerd boats gets out of the hole...

Wish mine did that! She gets up!

Comment

dmcb wrote:
                      I had a 1994 2655 with the 5.7 but I believe the HP was 260.

I don't know if the hulls are the same but that HP was more than enough. It was a 40 mph boat with 4 in it.

Best thing is not buy anything without a survey and a sea trial. When doing a sea trial take several adults with you.

The reason is the boats for sale usually are empty, low on fuel, no water, no gear and supplies.

You can add over 1000# quickly after you equip and provision it.

Weight does make a difference. A big difference. An empty boat can jump on plane while the same boat as you will use it will struggle.

And as always, no one complains of to much horsepower. Many complain of not having enough.

Doug
                      I'll second Doug's post regarding power - you can never have too much. I have had boats with 5.0,5.7 and 7.4 engines. The 5.0 was in a 2455 and at 230hp was adeqaute but with more than 2 adults and 2 children on board, I wished I had had the 5.7. Yes the 5.0 was 'adequate', but more power - the 5.7 @ 260hp and more torque would have been nice. But bottom line, I wouldn't make the final decision on the boats you're looking at based on the engine size but rather on the overall surveyed condition. If the best one has 5,7 - great, if a 5.0, I think that would be fine too IMO.

Comment

My $0.02...

Our 2001 2455 has the 5.0l, alpha I.

I have been told it is underpowered. Ignorance is bliss!

I have not had the pleasure of owning/operating nything more powerful.

Trim tabs are a definite help. I have run her around without using them and I definitely notice a difference without the tabs when under load. I have no problem getting on plane with 4 adults. I can even get on plane with 6 other big dudes (7 total), however that does go easier with some rearranging of bodies while getting out of the hole. Then they all sit back on their arses and do as little as possible.

Anyhow - like I say. I don't know what I am missing so I don't miss what I am missing. I also don't miss the bite and maneuverability that many tell me I would get with a duoprop.

I agree with, and am a prime example of one of the previous posts: the best value based on a proper sea-test, good survey and research is simply the best value. Once I narrowed down my search to the 2455 model, I had numerous choices between horsepower and lower units. Hindsight being as good as it is, I am sure happy I sea-tested with knowledgable and experienced people I trusted, and followed up with a thorough survey before buying.

Good luck! and have a great summer out ther on the water!

Comment

Working...
                        X