Things I(39)ve learned from buffing boats-gctid371220

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Did mine this weekend. Washed it down with 3m boat wash then I use meguires cleaner wax. I did the top side yesterday took about four hours. Today the fishing buds who are a few years younger than I am did the hull from the rub rail down. Took two of them about 3 hours, all by hand. I do it twice a year. We will take it fishing for the month of May and then do it again the first part of June as part of the clean up after fishing. After that I use the wash and wax soap during the season. I did the 3m oxidation restorer a few years ago and now I find this routine works well. I will admit I am very, very sore and there will be some Advil in my future.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I usually spend 8-10 hrs just buffing out the lower hull on 32-35' boat. Polish and wax is another 6-8 hrs but it does look great and will last for a year....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    MidnightSun wrote:
    Obviously she finishes before me and helps by waxing the arch and upper area while I continue on the top side.
    Thats because she does not take as many beer breaks as you

Leave a comment:

• MidnightSun
    replied
    5hrs??? My boat is 1 1/2 hrs drive from home. Usually go up with my wife and we start prepping. She gets things on board in order and I start buffing the hull. Obviously she finishes before me and helps by waxing the arch and upper area while I continue on the top side. We sleep at a nearby hotel and start again in the morning. Takes about a day and a half although when we splash we are 99% ready for the season.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Nehalennia wrote:
    Go back and do it again. You went too fast if it only took 5 hours. This time show us some pics :-)
    Lol I agree 5 hrs would be a blessing for me. It took me 3 weekends to get mine I first did 2 coats of oxidation remover with meguiars ( learned you need to remove right after application ) then a coat of polish to clean and final a coat of wax to seal.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Go back and do it again. You went too fast if it only took 5 hours. This time show us some pics :-)

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    ...take two Advil 1 hour BEFORE you start buffing! You will be to sore afterwards to get your hands to your mouth!!!

Leave a comment:

• itsabowtime2
    replied
    kwb wrote:
    5hrs isn't bad to rub & wax the hull of 30' boat
    I agree.

Mine tends to be an all day event.

Leave a comment:

• kwb
    replied
    carguy wrote:
    Annual torture session is done. Buffed the Krab yesterday. The lesson would be never arm wrestle someone who details for a living.

My forearms are so sore, I can't scratch my nose. Boat looks good though. Due to a spring flood forced early launch last year, it had been two years since I did the hull below the rubrail and it took about 5 hours to get it right.
    5hrs isn't bad to rub & wax the hull of 30' boat

Leave a comment:

• Things I(39)ve learned from buffing boats-gctid371220

Annual torture session is done. Buffed the Krab yesterday. The lesson would be never arm wrestle someone who details for a living.

My forearms are so sore, I can't scratch my nose. Boat looks good though. Due to a spring flood forced early launch last year, it had been two years since I did the hull below the rubrail and it took about 5 hours to get it right.
Working...
X