No announcement yet.

Things I(39)ve learned from buffing boats-gctid371220

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice job on the boat Patrick, that is they way they should look in the spring. I have done 6 boats so far this spring and just got back to mine today... One more day on the topside and I'll be in the show and shine contest with you......

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
      YES, it is a lot of work and I only have a 24 footer (Thankfully )

I cannot imagine doing it to a 40' yacht
      Not a yacht. A highbread 46'. Top left to do.

Comment

Thanks for all the kuddo's! The boat feels so small with crew aboard,:arr Feels like the Queen Mary when buffing and waxing.

Comment

Patrick53 wrote:
          All weekend, and several advil later. Looks great after it's done. Just add water.

I hope my boat look as great as urs one day..... OMG I love your boat....

Comment

I stopped by another marina to pay my mechanic. He had a 54' SeaRay Express with a hard top in the well. It looked huge.

My first thought was what a PITA it would be to maintain such a big boat.
            Jim McNeely
            New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
            Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
            Brighton, Michigan USA
            MMSI # 367393410

Comment

I don't know about anyone else but what I've found it that it's best NOT to let it dry much if at all before buffing out. Just did mine today. Took two of us a little less than 4 hours. Used 3M compound in certain areas and then 3M color restore (mild compound with wax combined)

BTW there are two instances when I'm thankful I don't have a bigger boat. This was one of them. The other is when pulling up to the gas dock.

Comment

Alexirocz28 wrote:
                I hope my boat look as great as urs one day..... OMG I love your boat....
                Me TOO

Tell ya what, he has got one huge advantage that I can see: NO TREES!

Man but they make a mess of a boat

Sarah

Comment

Wow, nice boat! I now have a new standard to shoot for. If you think polishing one out is bad, try sanding one out! Due to a bad decision of applying a polymer coating a few years ago that didn't live up to it's hype for durability, I've had to sand out my 2455. Started with 220, then 400, 600 wet, 800 wet and finally 1000 wet...THEN hit her with rubbing compound and finally waxed her. I got the foredeck and starboard side done last summer and finally finished the port side a few days ago. Not all I have to do it go back over the deck and starboard side real quick with polishing compound to make everything even, wax her and I'll be ready for the water.

Comment

Seaquel wrote:
                    I don't know about anyone else but what I've found it that it's best NOT to let it dry much if at all before buffing out. Just did mine today. Took two of us a little less than 4 hours. Used 3M compound in certain areas and then 3M color restore (mild compound with wax combined)

BTW there are two instances when I'm thankful I don't have a bigger boat. This was one of them. The other is when pulling up to the gas dock.
                    I agree. I was using a Meguiars oxidation remover for marine and when I let it dry and then buff out - my results were terrible. However when I switched to removing it before it dried, things looked amazing.

Comment

I had very little oxidation and only did from the rub rail down (I do the top when it's in the water). Also, I took out the dock rash last fall with compound before I wrapped it.
                      Doug
                      Hanging Loose
                      98 Carver 350 Mariner
                      2013-
                      KRUSTY KRAB
                      2001 305
                      5.7 BII
                      2006-2013

Comment

Working...
                      X