Advice on eisenglass please....-gctid370528

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on eisenglass please....-gctid370528

Put on new canvas and glass from Leta's about 2 years back, and the eisenglass is already badly clouded. Seems like my last plastic lasted a lot longer. Are there different qualities or brands to look for? What really causes the cloudiness? Seems like some panels are affected much worse than others--Thanks! Mike

MikeMag wrote:
    Put on new canvas and glass from Leta's about 2 years back, and the eisenglass is already badly clouded. Seems like my last plastic lasted a lot longer. Are there different qualities or brands to look for? What really causes the cloudiness? Seems like some panels are affected much worse than others--Thanks! Mike
    Yes, there are different thicknesses, brands and qualities. I'm not sure what Leta's uses and she's about 10 minutes from my house, but I use another canvas guy in Seattle, who's never steered me wrong and I've found his work much higher quality.

Comment

MikeMag wrote:
      What were you cleaning it with? Did you protect the glass when you applied sealer or cleaner to the canvas ?

Comment

Mike, try Serious Shine made by Yachtbrite. It is an aerosol can and was recommended to me by my very good friend at Basas Marine , he said it is all they are using at the boat shows now. I tried it , i love it. It is not the same as a magic wand and may not restore your iesenglass from its cloudiness but it will be by far your best product to use . It seems more times i apply it the better the glass gets. hope this helps

Comment

I've used Meguire's Mirror Glaze in the past and it really brought back my last set, but these panels seem dead---feel really rough on the exterior even after cleaning. Will look at options in replacing I guess, wonder if it would be cheaper to have new eisenglass sewn into the existing canvas frames?

Comment

My experience over a lot of years with canvas tops has been that I don't clean the eisenglass with anything other than clean water & hose. I never rub them with anything. Also - I never roll them up. As the panes always have a fine layer of dust or salt on them, rolling them puts fine scratches that subsequently looks like ''cloud'', as you rub each 'roll' across each other. I loop them up.

I'm not sure about different qualities of Eisenglass & I'm not sure how the thickness matters given that the issue is on the outside face of the glass. There are, however different products that substitute but I think they are much more expensive.

My Flybridge top is now about 8 yrs old & is starting to show some signs of deterioration.

For me, I would always just get new glass sewn in, Much cheaper.
            Bay Seeker
            1994 3288

Comment

It all depends on what you put in. Polycarbonate is the best but only lasts for 2-3 years

Comment

MikeMag wrote:
                That's odd I think I remember that you and I ordered right around the same time. I've never been crazy about the fit of the work, but I can't say that my eisenglass has clouded up. Same stuff I'm sure.

Comment

Sometimes when they are cloudy you can lay them out in the hot sun (pick a hot sunny day of 80-90 degrees f) and that will clear them.

Cloudy does not always mean scratched, especially if this happened over the winter. Water absorbs into the plastic making a cloudy appearance.

Not saying this is the case but try it.

Comment

Meguiars clear plastic cleaner (17) followed by Meguiars clear plastic polish (10) sure got mine looking good again.

3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA
                    1998 3587 Bayliner, Port Orchard, WA

Comment

Would using something like Strataglass (instead of regular Vinyl), keep problems like this from happening?

Comment

jeff h wrote:
                        sometimes when they are cloudy you can lay them out in the hot sun (pick a hot sunny day of 80-90 degrees f) and that will clear them.

Cloudy does not always mean scratched, especially if this happened over the winter. Water absorbs into the plastic making a cloudy appearance.

Not saying this is the case but try it.
                        x2 !

Comment

My experience over a lot of years with canvas tops has been that I don't clean the eisenglass with anything other than clean water & hose. I never rub them with anything. Also - I never roll them up.
                          I completely agree on the cleaning. However I do roll mine up and don't seem to have any issue because of it.

Comment

I used Plexus, it worked well.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/674188=26381-plexus.jpg[/img]

Comment

I use Plexus as well for quicker cleaning, the Mirror glaze for off-the -boat buffing sessions. Funny, I have noticed the panels that are regularly rolled up (front center and rears) look worst--perhaps there's my clue right there! Will try some of these other cleaning ideas. Ah well, Summer's coming, and there's a lot of days I take all the glass off anyway--thanks for the tips!

Comment

Working...
                              X