Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ten comandments of boating with wife and family. What should they be?-gctid343410

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I usually run through a bit of a routine, when we have "new to boating" people on the boat, and try to make it a bit of fun, and similar to the airplane saftey talk. When it come to doing a demonstration on how to put on a safety vest, I had a "newbe" the dogs vest. We all get a bit of a laugh watching them try to put it on before they realise they are being had.

Back to the original thread, I agree that if the admiral is not enjoying it, and is not happy with the weather or how you are handling/approaching things, you are setting yourself up for trouble.

Cheers

Comment

Sarah,

I don't know you yet but I've enjoyed your posts, this one was the best I've read. Everything you said is RIGHT ON THE MONEY!1

THANX

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
        Oh yea, somebody mentioned how others in teh marina pitch in and help others dock as they come in.

Seemingly, nobody in my marina does this, altho I have seen it done at others. I'm not sure if maybe it is because our slips are not really tight.

Either way, it just seems like a common sense, community way of thinking to me.

I walked over and waited for someone coming in on a windy evening and helped them into their slip. I figured I'd like help if it were me coming in under those conditions. The guy was thankful cuz he was alone, but surprised too,,,,,,"nobody has ever done that here before, at least not for me" So I asked him to kinda 'pay it forward'
        Somebody needs to train them!!

Looks like you started

Comment

Many, Many good points here. Agree completely that the comandments should all centre around safety and an enjoyable time being had by all. Mind your temper. Some guys are way to quick to lash out at their wives. I can be the captain of my ship, but it wouldn't be half as enjoyable by myself. My wife and I have become comfortable boaters by working together on our boats over the last 25 years. GRADUALLY raising her comfort level over the years by making sure we didn't "push the limits" too far. Our boating time is precious to us. We work together in our buisness all week, and escape together on our boat on the weekend.

Gentlemen, we can have all kinds of fun with our boats with our freinds. But there is nothing better than a private quiet evening spent with a lady who enjoys the boat as much as we do!

Comment

Good thread!

Comment

LazyCrusr wrote:
              If I may add a couple thoughts from the feminine point of view

- We are wired differently than you guys are, so we don't always immediately connect the dots when we need to. This means that we sometimes look stupid even when we are not - even tho we're trying. We are intimidated by the many systems on a boat. If we're driving while you drop the anchor, we don't always figure the wind & drift right, so maybe our angle is wrong or we just don't get it as well as you would have.

- Docking and stuff, don't forget: we are weak so don't give us a task that we cannot handle. I hurt myself many times this summer, just trying to do everything and struggling with much of it.

- DO NOT let anyone jump from the boat onto teh dock unless it is tied. During one of my early docking misadventures I stupidly jumped from teh boat to the dock, had one leg nearly crushed between the dock and teh boat. Had I fallen in,,,,,,I guess we're talkin' Crushed Sarah.

- Expect a dumb question now & then and undue caution when it is not needed! That's who we are.

- When we're yelled at & insulted in public, despite what you may think, we will never completely forgive you. Never EVER, so remember that.

- If you have kids, PLEASE use the utmost caution with them concerning falling overboard. The absolute cutest, most heart-warming thing I see on the water is a sailboat with little kids, in little life-vests, on a boat deck with that safety, play-pen kind of netting. I'd be the happiest boater on the planet if I had children of my own. Keep the little critters safe.

- Limit your drinking while driving, it makes us nervous even tho you 'know you're just fine'. Get sloshed while you;re at a safe anchorage!

- We look up to you guys ya know,,,,,we really do. So don't let us down, cuz we can make your nights very, very pleasant,,,,,if ya know what I mean. I hear that sex on a boat is terrific! ;-)
              Sarah,

Thanks for the ground breaking news you listed in #5...lol

As if we haven't learnt that yet.

Comment

Danny wrote:
                Sarah,

Thanks for the ground breaking news you listed in #5...lol

As if we haven't learnt that yet.
                Apparently not all of you have figured that out just yet!

Hey, enjoy your summer 'down there'

Comment

Great thread. Work toward each other's strengths. It's your responsibility to have the boat properly prepped and equipped prior to arriving at the dock. Have a plan for the day and share it, even if the plan calls for some pre-trip servicing. Nothing increases the anxiety level for the un-initiated more than when the captain starts pulling wrenches prior to departure.
                  Mike & Dixi
                  2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
                  Closed Cooling

Comment

These may be eleventh or twelfth on the commandment list, but:

Thou shalt have ALL keys attached to a floating key ring.

Thou shalt have cell phone safe from accidental swimming lesson.

Haven't been there/haven't done that YET, just say'n.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I grew up on boats, it's second nature to me. My wife, not so much, but she does love the boat and boating.

I would say the most important rule is, Never, ever, under any circumstance, lose you cool and start yelling at people. Wife and kids most of all.

Speak clearly and with a little volume if you need it to be heard, but don't yell and scream at them. It's a hobby, and like all hobbies, it's meant to be fun and enjoyable. Nobody enjoys being yelled at.

Comment

Patrevan wrote:
                        Nothing increases the anxiety level for the un-initiated more than when the captain starts pulling wrenches prior to departure.
                        I use to do this to my dad before leaving the dock. It would sure get a rise out of him. Sick sense of humour I know, but the entertainment value was worth it. Besides, my dad knows how to dish it out when it's his turn.

Comment

Thou shall buy a larger boat if given the green light by thy admiral.
                          Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                          1998 3055 Ciera
                          (yes, a 1998)
                          Previous boat: 1993 3055
                          Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                          Sea Doo XP
                          Sea Doo GTI SE
                          Life is short. Boats are cool.
                          The family that plays together stays together.
                          Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

itsabowtime2 wrote:
                            Thou shall buy a larger boat if given the green light by thy admiral.
                            That's a good one!

Comment

One more thing...encourage!

I wasn't always as comfy driving a boat or backing up a trailer as I am now. Show the admiral that your are PROUD of her and compliment her when she docks the boat or does something really well. A little sugar goes a LONG way.

It works. My husband likes to stretch out and just relax when I bring the boat up to the dock. For some reason, people are still surprised to see a woman who can handle a boat or back in a trailer perfectly with one try. He loves it.

Like I said, I wasn't always comfy. I grew up on boats, but there was a long spell where I was out of boating. He helped me get my skills back and my confidence. I drive 95% of the time and LOVE it.

I think any lady loves to be appreciated and having said that, it works both ways. How folks act on the boat is a good peek into their relationship. It's the golden rule, treat others as you want to be treated.

Oh yeah, Sarah is spot on on the yelling/insulting in public part. That hurts, plain and simple and it's pretty hard to forget that.

Comment

If you think you need fuel BUY FUEL.

Dont rush and do stupid things.

We have our docking routine and strategy worked out in advance.

Calm and relaxed is the way to keep peace.

Sheet happens just bring everyone home. Everything else is just stuff.

!
                                Jim McNeely
                                New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                                Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                                Brighton, Michigan USA
                                MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Working...
                                X