Future of Boating-gctid369168

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Future of Boating-gctid369168

With gas prices going ballistic what do yo all think will happen to our gas guzzlers and boating in general. If memory serves me right I was paying $1.35 a gallon about 10 years ago and now it is 3 times plus the cost. Not exactly following inflation of a few % a year is it?

Point is many of the larger twin screws have got me thinking. My boat does not have much room but take a 305/3055. The space between the engines will accommodate a large built-in genny. Thinking it would be nice to install a dual purpose genny with output shaft or a simply a third engine direct drive right out through the centre in the transom. Smaller engine of lets say 20-30 hp for cruising at low speed/hull speed. Could even put in a small diesel however the separate tank and fuelling makes it a little less convenient. Would work best on outdrive boats where you would simply lift the drives and fire up the "HSP" (Hull Speed Engine) would also need to deploy a small rudder which would need to be linked to the steering or better yet the unit could be a miniature simplified version of an outdrive as we know them which would incorporate steering into the unit. I am sure boat builders are starting to look at alternatives which would put them ahead of the competition and this idea may just be one of them.

Diesel has always been an argument as we know they consume less however in the smaller cruiser category of 35' and less they just do not make sense IMHO as payback can never be had except maybe in resale and I even question that. Diesel was once cheaper than gas but that is history and will continue to rise above gas prices according to the experts. Electric/Hybrid, heck they at the limit making this work in cars which have almost no rolling resistance compared to a boat so I really don't think we will see this in our lifetime although it would be really nice.

Comment or thoughts on what the future may hold?
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Well it sounds like most of these older "Gas Hoggs" may have to go up for "sail"?

Yep Sail not Sale. It might be just as easy to rig a mast and sail than to add an additional engine?

Just a thought? :arr

Comment

People with the means will always enjoy boating. But perhaps in a different way. I cruise ofter single engine to save fuel, but fuel prices have not restricted my boat use, just how I use it. Beside the cost of fuel is no where near the largest cost of boat ownership.

Comment

Now more than ever i try plan my trips according to the wind and tide. tides are a gas killer so with a little planning you would be suprised what you save.adding a kicker moter in a 24-26 ft might make sense but the initial cost is also quite expensive.if i am not in a rush and the tide is pushing me in the right direction i usually just shut her down and enjoy the free propulsion and rember in six hours it will push you back

Comment

timjet wrote:
          People with the means will always enjoy boating. But perhaps in a different way. I cruise ofter single engine to save fuel, but fuel prices have not restricted my boat use, just how I use it. Beside the cost of fuel is no where near the largest cost of boat ownership.
          +1

Comment

I do not consume all that much gas, maybe $2000 for the season and that would be a rather long season to boot. I did started using the single engine hull speed route last year after experimentation with both single and dual engines at hull speed I found out it was half the cost running single. Most of my boating is to destination and then the pleasure of dropping anchor and relaxing takes over for usually a couple of days. When on vacation for 2-3 weeks during the summer I really could not give a hoot how much gas or how far we go. Sail? Maybe when I retire and have all the time in the world to get from point a to point b but for now, forget it.
            Cheers, Hans
            2007 Carver 41 CMY
            Twin Volvo D6-370
            Montreal, Canada
            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

timjet wrote:
              I do that also Tim and it works well on a boat with a diesel. I tried it on my twin gassers and there wasn't that much difference.

I think two words will describe boating if the fuel prices continue.

Sail and trawler.

And even then the average person is going to be squeezed by overall prices.

I am very lucky boating in an area of natural beauty, yet not large in size. We spend the season on our boat and run at trawler speeds on one engine for the most part. We average about 400/450 miles a season and burn about 150/160 gallons of diesel. A good share of that is for the genny. I am increasing my solar this season and likely will cut the genny use a lot.

I burn more fuel in my 90hp Sea Nymph than I do in the Bay.

Going slow you still get a lot of time on the water and I have come to really enjoy these speeds.

Fuel prices where I boat are over $6.00/gal US. I know I can get over 4 mpg going slow and I have more time than money.

To save money going slow means going slow. Not 10 mph. Or even 8. You can double your fuel burn quickly. Under hull speed is the best economy.

Doug
              Started boating 1955
              Number of boats owned 32
              Bayliners
              3870 presently owned
              Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

dmcb wrote:
                I do that also Tim and it works well on a boat with a diesel. I tried it on my twin gassers and there wasn't that much difference.

I think two words will describe boating if the fuel prices continue.

Sail and trawler.

And even then the average person is going to be squeezed by overall prices.

I am very lucky boating in an area of natural beauty, yet not large in size. We spend the season on our boat and run at trawler speeds on one engine for the most part. We average about 400/450 miles a season and burn about 150/160 gallons of diesel. A good share of that is for the genny. I am increasing my solar this season and likely will cut the genny use a lot.

I burn more fuel in my 90hp Sea Nymph than I do in the Bay.

Going slow you still get a lot of time on the water and I have come to really enjoy these speeds.

Fuel prices where I boat are over $6.00/gal US. I know I can get over 4 mpg going slow and I have more time than money.

To save money going slow means going slow. Not 10 mph. Or even 8. You can double your fuel burn quickly. Under hull speed is the best economy.

Doug
                Surprising Doug as my experimentation actually doubled my mileage not exactly but almost. Straight off the fuel computer. Kinda makes sense since the second V8 is just turning to keep it turning. Was getting almost 5MPG on a single engine, 2.7 on a twins and best cruise is 1.25 at 30 mph.
                Cheers, Hans
                2007 Carver 41 CMY
                Twin Volvo D6-370
                Montreal, Canada
                Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Haha! This discussion is making me chuckle. For all the times I got ridiculed in this forum for advocating hull speed cruising and getting my head bitten off for saying these big gas engines are foolish choices for powerboats. Its quite the opposite when it is felt in the wallet, right? I'll be listening to these discussions very carefully. There will be many many many more to follow.

Comment

I guess it comes down to, if you wana play your guna pay. Big toys come with a big price tag in about everything thats involved. Just means we hang out at the marina more, use our dinghy more.

Comment

Bring back Viking longboats!

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
                        Haha! This discussion is making me chuckle. For all the times I got ridiculed in this forum for advocating hull speed cruising and getting my head bitten off for saying these big gas engines are foolish choices for powerboats. Its quite the opposite when it is felt in the wallet, right? I'll be listening to these discussions very carefully. There will be many many many more to follow.
                        They are not a foolish choice as these are [SIZE]4 wrote:
                        express[/SIZE]
                        cruisers. if you want low powered hull speed boats then you need to look at trawlers and not Bayliners as there is more to it than engine alone. You do want the appropriate hull maximized for slow speed along with the smaller engine in the perfect trawler. When I want to go from point A to point B in a hurry I can do so and at 50mph for that matter. Would not have it any other way. However, there are plenty of times where hull speed is perfect and hence the discussion for additional or modified alternatives. Maybe merc should look into those 8cyl that work only on 4cyl at low demand such as the Northstar in the cadillac?
                        Cheers, Hans
                        2007 Carver 41 CMY
                        Twin Volvo D6-370
                        Montreal, Canada
                        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

dtwilson wrote:
                          Bring back Viking longboats!
                          Forget it, with todays labour rates and having to pay all those guys, gas is cheaper.
                          Cheers, Hans
                          2007 Carver 41 CMY
                          Twin Volvo D6-370
                          Montreal, Canada
                          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

You people just don't realise how good you have it.I'm not sure what salaries are paid over there but the prices of every thing from housing to vihihhcles[yes i watch you're cop shows] and fuel ETC ETC are 10 years old to every one else.We pay over $1.50 a liter for fuel that is so crap it goes off in 6 weeks and other people are WAY worse off.

What are you're diesel prices like ?

Comment

OZDAVE wrote:
                              You people just don't realise how good you have it.I'm not sure what salaries are paid over there but the prices of every thing from housing to vihihhcles[yes i watch you're cop shows] and fuel ETC ETC are 10 years old to every one else.We pay over $1.50 a liter for fuel that is so crap it goes off in 6 weeks and other people are WAY worse off.

What are you're diesel prices like ?
                              Hear, hear!

£1.45 Sterling per liter Petrol (approx $2 US)

£1.49 per liter Diesel

Average Salary £21k Sterling (Gross)

Comment

Working...
                              X