What engine and outdrive?????-gctid368765

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What engine and outdrive?????-gctid368765

I recently purchased a 1978 22ft bayliner minus the motor and outdrive, the cutout in the stern is for a volvo the guy told me but what volvo?how many HP? how many pistons? What number outdrive? Bayliner sent me the owners manual for my serial # but so many models covered I really dont know what I have, HELP PLEASE?

Since everything is removed you can do what you wish. I would set a budget first, then begin looking at the options from there.
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Dwight wrote:
      • 1 wrote:
      • I recently purchased a 1978 22ft bayliner minus the motor and outdrive,
      • the cutout in the stern is for a volvo the guy told me but what volvo?
      • how many HP?
      • how many pistons?
      • What number outdrive?
      • Bayliner sent me the owners manual for my serial # but so many models covered I really dont know what I have

• 1 wrote:
      • At 22 foot, this is very likely a planing hull. Could be a Liberty, Skagit, Nisqually (Nisqually was 23 foot).

However, some of these boats were semi-displacement hulls that are not intended to plane.

What this means (if this is a semi-displacement hull) is that there will be a maximum horse power..... and anything above this will not benefit you because the boat will not plane without getting very squirrely and uncontrolable.

So we really need more info... such as the HIN (hull identification number) from the stern......., or some good photos of the boat.
      • OK.... that's the easy part. I can help you will this part when the time comes.
      • See # 1 above.
      • See # 1 above.
      • In 1978, and depending on what engine, this could be a 270 or 280 Volvo Penta drive. Actually, you're wide open to just about any AQ series Volvo Penta.
      • Yep.... very typical and understandable!

One manual covers some of the similar features that each model shares with one another.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
      2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
      Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
      Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
      Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

What Rick said. FInd out what was in there originally by taking the HIN and calling Bayliner. Then go shopping and try to replicate it as best you can.

I am willing to bet that any small block V8 and any Volvo AQ series drive with a V8 ratio should suit you just fine.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

Working...
        X