Towing a boat with 9.5 ft beam. Am I goin to Jail?-gctid368738

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towing a boat with 9.5 ft beam. Am I goin to Jail?-gctid368738

OK, as much as I like advice like; 'I can do it, but you shouldn't cause you are a pissant', let's leave that advice on the dock. I would very much like to hear from you if you have towed a 9.5 ft boat without the requisite CDL, oversize load stickers, fees, etc that some or most states mandate. I'm talking about the guy that keeps his boat on a trailer at home, or in storage and tows it to the lake/bay from time to time.

Have you been stopped and questioned? Did they let you go? Any idea what the fine is in your state? ideas to make the boat look smaller than it really is?

I would be towing in TX, NM, CO, AZ on lonely roads from Texoma to Powell and back twice per year. I will not be getting a CDL, I will not be getting permits, paying fees, and stickers. If I have a crack up the insurance owns the boat, but I'll be sited for an oversize violation. Now, after that feel free to attack, ridicule, and belittle! :beer-

First off - no need for a CDL you are well under 26K and non-commercial.

I always said I would play dumb but never was stopped, not without being passed by state patrol and other on a regular basis. My boat was 10'2" and my plea was when I bought it and read the paperwork on the boat I thought it said 102" (max legal). To go along with my feign of ignorance (ignorance of law is not a valid defense in court) I made sure that every light worked, brakes were in good shape, I was sticking to right lanes, and dotting all the other I's and crossing the T's.

I did not put oversized banners on - I always figured that if I did that then my ignorance plea was not going to work.

Next approach is to get banners look the part of being completely legit and hope that you aren't stopped for something else that then has the request for the overwidth permit.
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

That's about what I was expecting. I was gonna cheat and take the '2855' sticker off and put '2655' on. ahhahhahahhaaa! Magically make it 102" beam. DOH.

Comment

I towed a 10'2" wide Contessa all over Michigan, from Michigan to Florida and back and in Florida while I had it here over a 10 year period without permits.

Never a problem except being questioned crossing the Big Mac Bridge between upper and Lower Michigan. Only once and the guy just let me go with a warning to be careful.

I was followed by a Georgia truck cop for a while and he didn't even look at me when he passed. This was a twin screw boat also which made it look wider.

You are only wider high off the trailer so remember not to watch your trailer wheels as related to the centerline of the road. You will be in the oncoming traffic lane if you have the wheels close to the centerline. I think something like that could attract the attention of the cops who otherwise wouldn't bother you.

I suspect that is why the truck cop followed me for a while. I am quite sure he knew I was overwidth. It is his job to police things like that.

Doug
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned
        Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

(I will preface my remarks by stating that nothing here applies to Canada, Mexico, Kalifornia, or any other foreign country.) I was a commercial trucker in a former life, and as far as I know, your boat does not require a CDL. As a resident of Arizona and owner of three overwide boats in a row (all Bayliner; 289=9'9", 305=11'0", and current 2858=10'0") I have yet to buy a permit. I bought the 289 in Portland, OR, towed it here, then to S. Carolina, where I traded it in on the 305, which I towed back here to Havasu. Then I towed the 305 to Lake Pleasant near Phoenix (all 2 lane road) and back, then to Las Vegas and back, then sold it. I bought the 2858 locally, but I've towed it to Southern Calif. ocean areas and back. I've towed all three to and from the local ramp and service facilities with no banners. I never used banners on the 289, 3 inches wider than your 2855/285. The 305 and 2858 I used banners, to look the part. (Remember, I WAS a commercial trucker, so I do have a bit more knowledge than Joe Average.) I skirt the scales (not required to stop, but DOT cops live there) and the Cali fruit check stations. It can be done, but YOU KNOW YOU'RE BREAKING THE LAW. Insurance coverage may or may not be valid, subject to claims adjuster and your company and policy. Living on the edge of Cali in AZ, and planning to take the 2858 back to SoCal and the Delta, I'll more than likely get a Cali permit. YMMV...
          Jeff & Tara (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ
          |
          Current: 2008 Playcraft 2400 MCM 350 Mag B3
          2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
          2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
          2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
          2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
          And 12 others...
          In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. 7-2-10

Comment

Nice to know that the law can be,,,,,ignored in many/most places, but here in NY they're stop happy.

Probably looking at 10-12 yrs in the slammer here

But I'd be doing it anyway

Good Luck,,,,Think Slim while you're doing it

Sarah

Comment

No CDL required. Not commercial, under the 26k weight rule.

If you want to play it safe, pull the permits. There are companies that do this for you and also make sure you are on legal roads.
              Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
              1998 3055 Ciera
              (yes, a 1998)
              Previous boat: 1993 3055
              Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
              Sea Doo XP
              Sea Doo GTI SE
              Life is short. Boats are cool.
              The family that plays together stays together.
              Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

There are some requirements you are supposed to follow as the combined weight of the unit is over 10,000 lbs making you a CMV. The medical card would be the main one.

Having said that, I was on the side of the road putting the wheel back on the trailer of my bran new to me '25 flybridge 9.5 beam. Overweight, overwidth, no tags, no lights. Up pulls one of Va's finest, all he said was, looks like you got it under control. DOT enforcement officers have bigger fish to fry and not many officers at the local level understand all the requirements.

Comment

The best thing to do when breaking the law is to post every detail on-line because everyone knows the anonymity of a screen name is absolute and those details can never be held against you.

Comment

Wingman wrote:
                    There are some requirements you are supposed to follow as the combined weight of the unit is over 10,000 lbs making you a CMV. The medical card would be the main one
                    Nope - just like a giant a$$ed motorcoach with a 80+ yr old guy behind the wheel you do not need a CDL for this (former CDL holder).
                    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

wingless wrote:
                      The best thing to do when breaking the law is to post every detail on-line because everyone knows the anonymity of a screen name is absolute and those details can never be held against you.
                      It was long ago and all those toys are gone - I am not too concerned that I will have a WSP trooper coming to the house this morning to give me a ticket.
                      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

As long as you are pulling the boat for non commercial purposes you have NOTHING to worry about. A CDL is required for vehicle with a GVW of 26001 or more,used for commercial purposes. I am a CDL holder with around 3 million miles behind me. You might want to get a overwith banner to affix to the back of the boat to let others be aware of you. In my travels..I've NEVER seen a recreactional boater pulled over, unless they were showing their behind. I see many boats 25-35 feet in length being pulled down the highways here in the south. Stay in the right lane,except to pass and use common sense,

Comment

I did not say a CDL was required, I said a DOT medical card (current Fleet Manager).

Comment

I am not from the US but the way I read this link from Texas DOT unless you are a commercial carrier you do not require one

https://www.txdot.gov/business/motor...t/30_60_90.htm

But I have been wrong before

I have in the past transported a 10 foot wide 30 foot long, 1200 pound Mahogany yawl from Toronto to Ottawa. No permits no problems. Not advisable with the F150 I used to pull it but that is a different story :hypnotysed:

Comment

Wingman wrote:
                              I did not say a CDL was required, I said a DOT medical card (current Fleet Manager).
                              Maybe in VA....check out section 395 in the federal regs. If that was a requirement, EVERY tourist pulling a camper,large boat or driving a big motorhome would need one.

Comment

Working...
                              X