1986 2860 Trophy questions-gctid368695

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1986 2860 Trophy questions-gctid368695

I'm looking at am 86 Trophy soft top on a trailer. Its got a 350 with a volvo Dp on it. What sort of performance and handling should I expect with this set up? The boat is on a dual axle trailer thats a little too small, what is the weight of the boat? The outdrive is fixed and does not tilt up, is that common for this size boat? Is there anything in particular to watch out for in this size/modelof Bayliner?

Thanks in advance.
    Lance A.
    1986 2860 Trophy soft top
    5.7 gm replacment motor, freshwater cooled.
    Volvo 280 or 275 with Douprop added.

The tilt on the old style VP drive is cheezy at best, some of the parts are sort of hard to come by but there are a variety of things that could be wrong with it.

I had the contessa flybridge (same hull) with that same setup - cruise 20-21kn ~3300RPM, WOT would get to 28-29kn with light load. The trophy with soft top should be considerably lighter and do a bit better than what my boat did.

Boat is probably somewhere around 6000#with a very light load onboard Depending on the trailer a tandem could be fine. I had a tridem under mine and tires scrubbed terribly - I had mixed opinion on which was the best way to go and some of that depends on how much you will trailer it.

There aren't a lot of the 2860's out there but there are a couple people on the board with them that might know where the weak spots are to watch for.
    1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
    1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Was the volvo dp an option for that year? I'm not even sure what the first year of the duoprop is. The boat has been sitting in the california sun for a few years with no use, so the uphosltery is shot and the boat is faded, but overall it seems pretty solid.

-Lance
      Lance A.

Comment

Bayliner had a "if its on the line, slap it into place" strategy back then. I basically grew up around a Bayliner dealer, and between there and here on the BOC, I have seen a few purported "factory" combinations that were not in theory available.

If you just have a power tilt drive, the drive should move up and down on its own. if it doesn't, you need to diagnose the tilt motor. If it has a 290, it should be power trim and tilt, and that should be diagnosed as well. In short, it should not be "fixed" into place.

Now, was the DP standard? No. Was it offered as an option? Possibly, but I don't remember seeing it in the Salesman Handbook. There is someone on this board who has a supposedly factory-optioned 1984 2750 Ciera with a power trim Volvo DP. He is currently One of One - my point is ANYTHING could have happened on the assembly line. Heck, your boat was available with twin 225 hp INBOARDS - a $10,000 option in 1986.

That said, the DP is so easy to swap on to these boats, and the Contessa hull (that also supplied the basis for the 2860 such a popular hull, that a lot of these boats swapped to DP to improve performance.
        Matt Train
        BOC Site Team
        Chicagoland, IL

Comment

lallan wrote:
          Thanks for the reply. Was the volvo dp an option for that year? I'm not even sure what the first year of the duoprop is. The boat has been sitting in the california sun for a few years with no use, so the uphosltery is shot and the boat is faded, but overall it seems pretty solid.
          Lance, the Volvo Penta Duo Prop was available in 1983. When the Bayliner Company started using it, I can't say.

In this year range, you likely have the 280.... and it may have been a single prop drive later converted to the DP.

It may be rare, but you may also have the 280 PT drive.

If you'll post a few photos, I can tell you which drive it is.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
          2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
          Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
          Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
          Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Was it this 2860??

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/boa/2898750318.html

Tried contacting the poster a few times but no reply, sure is a great deal if the same one

I bought my 2860 hard top for quite a lot more, I love my boat & still lots to do, like a labor of empty pockets!!!!

Check out Ofishal's boat, now that's one macked out 2860

Best of luck on the purchase

Comment

Thats the one.
              Lance A.

Comment

Looks like I now own a 1986 2860 Trophy. I've been lucky enough to grow up with a twin diesel, shaft drive Californian, but a gasser with out drive and trailer are a new experience.

To begin with, how do I identify the model of duo pro on this boat?

-Lance

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/679734=27057-IMAG0622-1-1-1-1.jpg[/img]
                Lance A.

Comment

lallan wrote:

Looks like I now own a 1986 2860 Trophy. I've been lucky enough to grow up with a twin diesel, shaft drive Californian, but a gasser with out drive and trailer are a new experience.

-Lance
                  Congrats on the purchase

To find the ID tag on the DP for me is easy, but to type it in description may take some time. may be easier if ya do a search in this tread

I know Bounty 2850 aka Rick has an illustration on the location

Ps if ya want to unload her one day PM me, would love to undertake another 2860 resto

Len

Comment

lallan wrote:

Congrats! :coo-

Lance, at this point, many things may have been changed over the years, so you begin by posting several photos of the engine and out drive.

There is a vast interchangeability with the Volvo Penta drives in this AQ series, so photos will actually tell us quite a bit more than perhaps numbers would.

As for performance, the 5.7L and the Duo Prop should be great. The Duo Prop uses a rather unique propeller arrangement in that the FWD prop is large and mildly aggressive..... AFT prop is smaller, but much more aggressive.

Thrust from this drive can be up to 25-35% more than the single prop drive, according to Volvo Penta.

Post photos of the drive, and if I see any red flags, I'll make note.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The boat was slipped most of its life, then sitting on a trailer for the last 3 years or so. The out drive needs a good cleaning of the old marine life, and hopefully the corrosion isn't too bad. The was still some of the zincs left. Here are some pics.

Is this a good enough pic to ID the drive? I found the ID plate, but couldn't read it.

I am not sure what this is and its not hooked up to anything. I'm guessing that its some sort of steering mechanism for the auto pilot.

Lance A.

Comment

From what I can see, that would be a 280 or 275 that has the Duo Prop addition to it.

You'd best try to remove the props. They don't look like they've been removed for quite some time.

They may be stuck in place. When these are stuck/corroded in place, it leaves us with the only option of cutting them off. These need to come off so that they can be inspected, splines cleaned, re-greased, etc,.... and you need to replace the ring anode. It is completely missing from the drive.

Unfortunately, it would appear to be a GM truck engine replacement. The valve covers give this away.

This is likely why they installed the closed cooling system.... of which is excellent to see there!

The intake manifold appears to be a single plane style. Perhaps the Edelbrock Torquer I or II intake.

The Marine intake should be a dual plane manifold.

But I can't confirm that from the photos. You'd need to look down the throat of the carburetor in order to tell.

You'd get better Marine performance with the dual plane manifold, such as the Performer intake.

No issues with it being aluminum since you have the closed cooling system.

The exhaust risers to Y-pipe rubber couplers are too short, and look like the band clamps may be compressing the rubber into the scalloped areas of the riser outlets. This can cause over-heating.

Sierra or Volvo Penta replacements are always too short, which leaves us with buying this 95mm hose by the foot, and making darn sure that each is about 2" longer, so that these clamps can be moved further up the riser necks. Now the scalloped areas can flow sea water without the rubber restricting flow.

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

Thanks for the info. The GM engine does fit the owners story that engine was replaced around 2009. Why is it unfortunate to have the GM engine?

It looks like the drive is going to be the first thing we tear into. Is there any difference between the 280 and 275 drive that we should be concerned with, and what would be a good manual for this drive.

Thanks,

-Lance
                          Lance A.

Comment

Not unfortunate to have a gm engine. Unfortunate to have a truck engine.... its not the best engine for a marine application. A marine built engine is much more efficient and economical. Also if that is a torker manifold i would be looking to change it out. It may work but pretty much worthless in a boat like that. They are built to have i high rpm power. If you troll or slow cruise aand lot it will suffer. Of it says edelbrock or torker its a torker and its like o said not good. Use a factory chevy manifold or a edelbrock performer .

If its a truck engine the cam shaft is most likely not one that is optimum although it will work unless it was changed out it probably not a great cam.
                            1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
                            twin 454's
                            MV Mar-Y-Sol
                            1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
                            Twin chevy 350's inboard
                            Ben- Jamin
                            spokane Washington

Comment

Unless the cam was changed, I don't see that being a great combo. The cam will be pretty flat in that motor as supplied....designed to drag a load down the highway at 2200 rpm. You'll want something with peak torque around 3500rpm or so.

Then that single plane manifold is for high rpm use, so if you'll check/replace the cam and want t run it hard...then use a kicker to fish/troll maybe you can keep the intake, but the performer or performer RPM would be a better choice.

Comment

Working...
                              X