Bayliner 2655: Powered with 5.0...Underpowered?-gctid343164

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

summerbreeze wrote:
    If it is a 2bbl. Would there be alot of other engine modifications necessary to accomodatw a 4 bbl. Carb?
    not really, new intake, air filter, and carb and some tuning.

Comment

$15K is a very good deal for a 2000 265.

Comment

If it is a 2bbl. Would there be alot of other engine modifications necessary to accomodatw a 4 bbl. Carb?
        I did this on the 2455. You need:

Carb (Holley 650 marine)

Manifold (Edelbrock Marine Performer)

New fuel line

New mount for the throttle cable

Larger spark arrestor

Misc small parts

The carb and manifold cost me around $900 and the mount was custom-made in trade for my old carb. The same shop traded spark arrestors with me. This of course includes no labor, and it's a few hours for an experienced mechanic.

$15K is a very good deal for a 2000 265.
        That's why I'm betting it has the low-end motor, 2bbl, and Alpha One. It will handle horribly with the A1 drive (I've driven it), and perform poorly with that drive and small motor.

Comment

We run the same boat as eyeman, with the same engine and drive. As he explained this is the preferred combination for that size of boat. When we decided to shop for a late 90's 2655 I learned pretty quick on this forum that the 5.0/alpha set-up was barely adequate unless you always operate with light loads. The B3 drive also make a huge difference around the docks.

Thats why I only looked at boats with the upgraded engine and drive. I HATE being underpowered! "Winding Down" has been a terrific boat.

Comment

I had a '96 with the 5.0/Alpha1. Loved it. Never thought it felt underpowered at all. The only time an "issue" came up? - when we went to sell it in '98. At that time, about 90% of the buyers were turned off by the "small engine". And that was without even doing a sea trial! We ended up really taking it in the shorts simply because of the perception on the "small" engine.... So when we bought our '28 in 98, we went with the 5.7. When we sold it, no issues with "small motor" syndrome from the buyers. When we bought our 305 in '05, we went back to 5.0/B2. But that was x2... We sold it to the first person who viewed it/trialed it; same day it was put up for sale!

Comment

The twin 5.0 and B2 drive just can't be compared to the single A1. The B2 swings a 19" prop IIRC, with huge surface area. This makes it more like a B3 than an A1 for traction. Prop surface area is what makes all the difference in handling and performance, while the counter-rotation is important for a single to prevent prop walk.

I understand your point on the small motor and drive, I was fine with them until I drove the better option too. Then I saw what I was missing and decided our new boat *must* have it.

Comment

It depends on whether you want to pass other boats or the gas dock.

Having lots of power is fun, burning $100 of fuel cruising for a few hours isn't.

Comment

Unless you're running flat out all day, or have seriously overloaded the boat, the burn rate won't be that much different.

Comment

I had a 1997 2655 w/ the 5.7 and a second generation Alpha 1. For me I wouldn't have been happy with a smaller motor. If your use is limited to day trips with light loads you would probably be fine. Load it up with a dinghy, gear and provisions for a family of five headed out for a two week trip and you won't regret the extra power. Remember that a boat usually gets heavier the longer you own it as "stuff" is accumulated. Good luck.
                    Rick
                    1994, 3288

Comment

It depends on whether you want to pass other boats or the gas dock.

Having lots of power is fun, burning $100 of fuel cruising for a few hours isn't.
                      Fallacy. An under-powered boat uses MORE fuel than one that is properly powered or even slightly over. It's only when you go way over that you burn more. For any given horsepower you will burn the same amount of fuel at cruise RPM, but a too-small motor will need more RPM to make the same speed and become inefficient when it gets out of cruise range for RPM. The hull has its cruise speed, so you end up either out of cruise for the hull or out of cruise for the engine. A typical boat in this size range wants to run around 28-31 MPH and the engine at 3800 RPM.

Comment

I'd recommend an mpi BIII combo for that size of boat.

Not so much for extra top speed, but rather for ease of planing with a heavy load, or keeping the boat at "mush" speed (say 15mph) in a heavy sea.
                        2007 Discovery 246
                        300mpi BIII
                        Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

I completely agree with that, except that the MPI was not available in that year range, I believe. I think the B3 is the most important factor for happiness with a boat that large and a single drive.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                            Fallacy. An under-powered boat uses MORE fuel than one that is properly powered or even slightly over. It's only when you go way over that you burn more. For any given horsepower you will burn the same amount of fuel at cruise RPM, but a too-small motor will need more RPM to make the same speed and become inefficient when it gets out of cruise range for RPM. The hull has its cruise speed, so you end up either out of cruise for the hull or out of cruise for the engine. A typical boat in this size range wants to run around 28-31 MPH and the engine at 3800 RPM.
                            You might be right. I related it to my boat with my stingy 4 cylinder. It cruises at 20 mph all day on fumes. I usually spend more on bait than gas.

Comment

It cruises at 20 mph all day on fumes.
                              I've never heard of a planing hull with a 20 MPH cruise speed. Is this like a 14-footer or something?

Comment

I have a 19' Citation cuddy and a 140 hp 4 banger, i do 20 all day long. Burns about 4 gallons a hour. The rpm are around 3000.
                                Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
                                X