Considering a Generator - Is the Honda 2000 a good one?-gctid368285

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Considering a Generator - Is the Honda 2000 a good one?-gctid368285

I have my 2855 that i am looking to get an external generator that I can place an adapter and plug my shore power line into while I am beached. Is the Honda 2000 a good one? will it provide enough power to run the lights and equipment in the boat? I heard its a nice one while being very quiet as well.

thoughts?

http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu2000i

The search box is your friend.....

Comment

Yup you will get lots of discussion on this. I have had a honda for about 3 or so years now, love it. Runs everything on my boat just fine and quiet with low fuel burn.

Comment

I use the same thing your looking at. It will run everything except the AC which draws to much current on start up for the gen set to handle. Coffee makers, toasters, electric skillet, no sweat. Make up a shore power cord to use with the gen set, I had an old one that I just cut to length, but make sure the ends/connectors are good and tight when you plug into the gen side and the shorepower side. Loose connections cause excess heat and will burn up the cord ends.

Comment

Honda 2000 is the gold standard others are compared against.
          Jim McNeely
          New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
          Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
          Brighton, Michigan USA
          MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Where do you keep the generator? on the swim platform?

Comment

majoma wrote:

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
                The search box is your friend.....
                That was helpfull ..........

Comment

majoma wrote:
                  Does the swim platform happen to be located in the engine compartment?

op

Comment

As said above... the Honda 2000 is the standard by which the others are measured. Best money you'll spend on the boat. Great for the peace of mind and utility it provides.
                    Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

The Honda is an awesome machine. I had one for many years and it didn't miss a beat.
                      Mike P
                      The Bahamas
                      Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

I have a Honda 2000 that I bought about 4 years ago for a boat with no genset. Even though my current boat and RV have a genset, I won't part with the Honda. It's so easy to store and carry that we take it on long trips as a backup. Also, I carry an air compressor, so I can run that if needed as well. Great item to have...
                        Jeff & Tara
                        (And Ginger too)
                        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
                        "GetAway"
                        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
                          Does the swim platform happen to be located in the engine compartment?

op
                          I am not trying to be funny. I have seen Honda generators on the bow of many boats.

Comment

majoma,

When I saw the title to this thread, I thought it was a joke. Some of us forget that there are folks who haven't been here for very long and haven't already read the answer to your question 100 times or more.

The reason for the suggestion to do a search is that the questions you are asking have been asked and answered repeatedly since Honda came out with its inverter generators.

1. Yes, they are the gold standard of portable generators, lightweight, quiet, dependable.

2. Some folks store them on the swimstep when cruising, some on the bow and some in the cockpit. do what works best for you, Do Not store in the engine compartment.

3. Make sure your carbon monoxide detector is working.

4. do not sleep with the genset running.

5. Buy one, you will like it and in the event you don't you will get most of your money back when you sell it.

Fair winds

Comment

Thanks to all and sorry if this has been a common question here. Sounds like the Honda 2000 makes the want list.

Comment

Working...
                              X