Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the Root of all my questions!!!-gctid368128

Okay guys, I am going to keep an entire progress log of this project,

1991 Bayliner Capri 21ft cuddy cabin 120hp L-Drive!

As you can see from below, this boat needs ALOT of cosmetic help;

Cusions

Dash

Captains Helm

Upholstery

Hull Paint Job

Carpet

Crome Trim

Rotten Wood Replacement

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/671508=26109-2012-04-05 17.59.20.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/671508=26113-2012-04-05 17.59.48.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/671508=26112-2012-04-05 17.59.55.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/671508=26111-2012-04-05 18.00.00.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/671508=26110-2012-04-05 18.00.04.jpg[/img]

And final set for this time around...

I also have a walk thru video before I removed everything and after

but I am not sure how to post for everyone to view,

All ideas and thoughts on any part of this prject are urged also please.

Like I was saying we are going to redo the vinyl in artic white and accented in bright orange. I am going to do just the passanger front facing seat in pink for my girl cause thats her favorite color

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/671510=26120-2012-04-05 18.00.13.jpg[/img] [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/671510=26119-2012-04-05 18.00.20.jpg[/img]

Comment

The L Drive seems to be an evolutionary dead end.....worse than OMC's! :thumb

Comment

mainecoast wrote:
        The L Drive seems to be an evolutionary dead end.....worse than OMC's! :thumb
        Yeah, thats what I hear. Ultimate worse case is I get it looking new again and sell it for something else or possibly modify the back end and put something else there or just run it till it dies. Either way, I am going to put the time and effort into making this a sharp looking boat for the experience and fun of it!

Comment

Welcome to BOC.

I'm not trying to discourage you but do not look at this as a project to flip and make money on. You are looking at $1,000's of dollars in materials and a ton of your time. The chances of getting that investment back to put into another boat is small. Do it for the experience and because you love the boat and plan to keep it for awhile.
          Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
          1998 3055 Ciera
          (yes, a 1998)
          Previous boat: 1993 3055
          Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
          Sea Doo XP
          Sea Doo GTI SE
          Life is short. Boats are cool.
          The family that plays together stays together.
          Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

Look, there is no nice or polite way of putting this, so I'll step up here and say what others may only be thinking about saying.
            • You have allowed yourself to fall in love with the idea of this initially inexpensive boat project.
            • You were a very rare purchaser.
            • An educated boat buyer would not have made this purchase.
            • The seller was very lucky to have found you.... very lucky!
            • You will be spending good money after bad if you attempt to restore this L-drive boat!
            • Once an L-drive boat..... always an L-drive boat.... there is no changing to a stern drive with this hull. At least not cost effectively.
            • All of your uphol$tery effort$ will remain with thi$ L-drive boat long after you determine that the L-drive po$e$ too many i$$ue$.
            • You will be as lucky as the previous seller if you were to find a buyer when you decide to cut your losses and sell it.

Add to this the needed:
            • Cusions
            • Dash
            • Captains Helm
            • Upholstery
            • Hull Paint Job
            • Carpet
            • Crome Trim
            • Rotten Wood Replacement

You have been given all of the Negative aspects of the L-drive, but you are turning a blind eye to all of them.

Instead of taking these warnings as per in your best interest, it appears that you have taken them as "Nay-Sayer" doom and gloom suggestions.

This does NOT mean that we are not willing to help you if you still wish to forge foward.

Just don't expect any of us to be all excited over an L-drive boat.

Fair Nuff?

Edit:

Even those of us with favorable stern drive boats.... perhaps beginning as project boats...., know full well that boats are not investments in terms of financial recovery.

Boats are always expenses.

We just simply use it up in the form of family enjoyment..... costing us $xxx per outing, of which we just chalk up to the cost of boat ownership.

That's boating!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
            2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
            Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
            Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
            Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I completely agree. This project has absolutely no monetary value. The money you will throw away on this will be far more than trashing this and buying a decent boat to start with. There is nothing special about this boat in a positive way, but lots of "special" in a negative way.

I've rebuilt a lot of boats in my life. Some worth it, some stupid. This makes my worst rebuild look like a good one. You're in for heartache and wasted money.

Comment

2850Bounty wrote:
                Look, there is no nice or polite way of putting this, so I'll step up here and say what others may only be thinking about saying.
                • You have allowed yourself to fall in love with the idea of this initially inexpensive boat project.
                • You were a very rare purchaser.
                • An educated boat buyer would not have made this purchase.
                • The seller was very lucky to have found you.... very lucky!
                • You will be spending good money after bad if you attempt to restore this L-drive boat!
                • Once an L-drive boat..... always an L-drive boat.... there is no changing to a stern drive with this hull. At least not cost effectively.
                • All of your uphol$tery effort$ will remain with thi$ L-drive boat long after you determine that the L-drive po$e$ too many i$$ue$.
                • You will be as lucky as the previous seller if you were to find a buyer when you decide to cut your losses and sell it.

Add to this the needed:
                • Cusions
                • Dash
                • Captains Helm
                • Upholstery
                • Hull Paint Job
                • Carpet
                • Crome Trim
                • Rotten Wood Replacement

You have been given all of the Negative aspects of the L-drive, but you are turning a blind eye to all of them.

Instead of taking these warnings as per in your best interest, it appears that you have taken them as "Nay-Sayer" doom and gloom suggestions.

This does NOT mean that we are not willing to help you if you still wish to forge foward.

Just don't expect any of us to be all excited over an L-drive boat.

Fair Nuff?

Edit:

Even those of us with favorable stern drive boats.... perhaps beginning as project boats...., know full well that boats are not investments in terms of financial recovery.

Boats are always expenses.

We just simply use it up in the form of family enjoyment..... costing us $xxx per outing, of which we just chalk up to the cost of boat ownership.

That's boating!

Lighten up Rick. He posted 10 hours ago and has replied once, to one commenthttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.p....gif[/img] You're off the Welcoming Committee.

Yes, what you wrote is true. Even if it wasn't an L Drive, this is not a good project.

gustoph0, good luck on the restoration. Like Rick wrote, have no illusions about it's cost and your return. Monster project.

Upside, if the L Drive is good, you have a rare engine/drive, but limited resale market. so you've got that going for you...

Welcome to the club....Club Hole in the Water......

Comment

DAAANG DUDE...that is one FUGLY boat....but I've seen people take a rusty ole car and turn it into a jewel....gorgeously, meticulously and lovingly restored.....so....if this is what you want to do...I'd say go for it...put your heart and soul into it knowing you won't get hardly any of the money and energy back out cept for the shear joy of know you did a job well done......

Best of luck with your project....it's not impossible..just not going to be easy!!...nor cheap...

:arr arrrrrrrrrop

Comment

tbear wrote:
                    Lighten up Rick. He posted 10 hours ago and has replied once, to one commenthttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.p....gif[/img] You're off the Welcoming Committee.
                    Ted, you are absolutely right..... that certainly is not a warm welcome in this thread.... but this is not his first thread on this topic!

I just felt that somewhere in the mix here, someone needed to offer Tuff Love!

Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
                    2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                    Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                    Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                    Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I will be the one to pour cold water on his campfire.

Dude, stop now.

1. Its an L drive. If the rest of the boat were fine, I would say continue, but...

2. The interior needs to be REPLACED. As in, down to the foundation. You're talking thousands JUST to do that.

3. Looks like the boat sat out, and you alluded to rotten wood. Thats another 2 - 3 thousand dollar job assuming that its just the floor.

I am assuming the transom and stringers are solid - they may well NOT be.

Usually with a project boat, there is some underlying foundation or good point about it - electricals are sound, good engine and drive, a desirable model - but based on what I see, this boat is just done.

Strip it for parts and sell them, and we can help you buy something else. I see no redeeming value in this boat whatsoever.
                      Matt Train
                      BOC Site Team
                      Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I am not trying to flip this boat.

I am simply using it to be a starter boat.

I do not intend on never buying another boat in my life;

I do not intend on making it just pretty and if I choose sell to some unexpecting person;

I do not intend on sailing to the Catalina Wine Mixer;

I do not intendo on entering any boat races;

The engine, electrical, flooring, and hull are all sound. I posted these pictures in hopes to get feedback on the project. I did not post asking anything about the engine. No where did I say the engine was bad, didnt start, needed repair. What I did say however, is that I wanted to tear it down and rebuild it, that was until I got some sound advise, not that the engine is a horrible piece of garbage, but that if the engine runs well no need to tear it down. All I needed to do was a tune up and carb cleaning and decarb.

That is the kind of info I was lokking for. I completely understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I am greatful for everyones infop pertaining to the engine. My focus on this thread was about what I had to work with and what I am going to do.

Comment

If you want to give it a shot GO FOR IT!.......The way I see it is...IF YOUR FLOATIN YOUR BOATIN....The experience you will get redoing the boat...will help you understand what you need to look for when searching for the NEXT ONE!

Comment

tbear wrote:

Yes, what you wrote is true. Even if it wasn't an L Drive, this is not a good project.

gustoph0, good luck on the restoration. Like Rick wrote, have no illusions about it's cost and your return. Monster project.

Upside, if the L Drive is good, you have a rare engine/drive, but limited resale market. so you've got that going for you...

Welcome to the club....Club Hole in the Water......
                            Thanks for the encouraging words!!

Comment

Working...
                            X