Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple (34)falls off boat...(34)-gctid571034

This one was on MSN news.

" A couple was rescued by 3 off-duty officers near after falling off their boat offshore of Key Largo. It was said the boat was in gear and sailed away from them. They treaded water (?) for 14 hours before being found"

Ft Lauderdale is about 70 miles from Key Largo, and they were obviouosly in the Gulf Stream which runs 3-4 knots in that direction. I think they were in the water longer than that.

This is an example of boaters leaving common sense back at the dock. Not wearing life jackets, or using the tether cord for engine shutoff, or having anything to help/notify of a rescue. The rescuers found them by dumb luck as they were offshore far enough because of fishing in the stream.

And, what the h*ll were they doing where BOTH of them fell overboard at the same time?

We used to go offshore 20-30 miles. We had our type IIIs on when transporting, and when trolling/playing a fish one of us was at the helm the other doing teh fishing thing. Wife knew how to come get me if I fell overboard. Our life jackets have a strobe, mirror and whistle in the pockets.

Now, if they were not rescued, and "missing" this would have been listed as "Boaters missing in Bermuda Triangle incident..."

Excuse me if I am coming on a bit strong, but I have spent a lot of time looking for such Einstiens who were "lost" when I was operational in the CG auxiliary.

A boating safety officer protects people from themselves.
    Captharv 2001 2452
    "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

"captharv" post=571034 wrote:
    This one was on MSN news.

" A couple was rescued by 3 off-duty officers near after falling off their boat offshore of Key Largo. It was said the boat was in gear and sailed away from them. They treaded water (?) for 14 hours before being found"

Ft Lauderdale is about 70 miles from Key Largo, and they were obviouosly in the Gulf Stream which runs 3-4 knots in that direction. I think they were in the water longer than that.

This is an example of boaters leaving common sense back at the dock. Not wearing life jackets, or using the tether cord for engine shutoff, or having anything to help/notify of a rescue. The rescuers found them by dumb luck as they were offshore far enough because of fishing in the stream.

And, what the h*ll were they doing where BOTH of them fell overboard at the same time?

We used to go offshore 20-30 miles. We had our type IIIs on when transporting, and when trolling/playing a fish one of us was at the helm the other doing teh fishing thing. Wife knew how to come get me if I fell overboard. Our life jackets have a strobe, mirror and whistle in the pockets.

Now, if they were not rescued, and "missing" this would have been listed as "Boaters missing in Bermuda Triangle incident..."

Excuse me if I am coming on a bit strong, but I have spent a lot of time looking for such Einstiens who were "lost" when I was operational in the CG auxiliary.

A boating safety officer protects people from themselves.
    Coitus
    Watching crow being slowly eaten in the PNW.
    The village idiot strikes again.

Comment

The one article I found had no useful info, but I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often. I cringe all the time as I see people standing on the transom or platform during a docking maneuver, or just slowly driving through an anchorage, or trying to raft up. Yesterday I was helping a large boat back in, and his wife was on the platform. Since she wasn't holding on to anything, she almost went in when we suggested he pull off and make a second attempt due to being at a poor angle to the dock. He can't see her from the helm, and she can't really do anything for a boat that large (40-ish flybridge sedan). People just do silly things and then are surprised when the sea does something predictable but that they weren't prepared for.

Comment

Luck was definitely on their side. Hopefully they learned the necessary lesson from the incident. Happy endings are the best ones.
        Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
        West River Yacht & Cruising Club
        www.wrycc.com

Comment

Hope the boat enjoyed the run to wherever... 14 hours is a looooong time to be treading water...
          Doug ;}
          MMSI: 338068776
          "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

"Go Aweigh2452" post=571215 wrote:
            Hope the boat enjoyed the run to wherever... 14 hours is a looooong time to be treading water...
            Yeah, I do wonder just where the boat ended up.
            Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
            West River Yacht & Cruising Club
            www.wrycc.com

Comment

Then local news had an "Interview" with them,. The 5 words the male spoke, leads me to think there is much more to the story.
              1986 Bayliner Contessa 2850
              In over my head for sure!!
              M/V SKUA refit
              https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...ak-gctid499442

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...contessa-refit

Comment

"SKUA 28 Contessa" post=571348 wrote:
                Then local news had an "Interview" with them,. The 5 words the male spoke, leads me to think there is much more to the story.

Oh man..... you're going to leave us hanging with THAT? :dry:

[CENTER] Rick E. Portland, Oregon
                2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
                Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
                Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
                Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

The reporter asked about falling off the boat, the guy responded " yeah something like that"
                  1986 Bayliner Contessa 2850
                  In over my head for sure!!
                  M/V SKUA refit
                  https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...ak-gctid499442

https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...contessa-refit

Comment

Working...
                  X