My first boat story-gctid570631

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first boat story-gctid570631

This is a great forum and extremely helpful. I don't exactly have a world of knowledge to contribute, but I thought it might be fun to post about my humble first boat. I wanted to share my story, and see what you guys thought as well as open it up to share for the rest of the forum too.

My first boat was a 1985 2150 Capri Cuddy. I had been searching for an affordable small cruiser for a couple years. I looked at everything from 22 to 28 feet that was under $8k, but the cheaper the better so to speak.

I came across the 85 2150 CC on Craigslist. When I went to see it, I figured it was going to be a project. It was sitting on a nice EZ roller trailer. The interior carpeting was pretty much shot. All the wood was sun beaten and cracked. An aftermarket Captains chair was bolted to a home made wooden box and there was a big empty space behind it where the back to back seat and underseat storage used to reside. A big wooden plank had been roughly cut to match the curve of the stern and bolted down with lag bolts. A home made doghouse had been crudely finished with red vinyl and just rested over the engine. A Bimini top and camper enclosure were shoved in the cuddy. The starter was out in a bucket and the transmission thingy that bolts to the top rear of the engine and handles the throttle and shift cables was laying in the engine compartment with the throttle cable disconnected. I had no idea what I was looking at.

The kid who owned it had purchased it from his grandfather, who apparently kept it down in the Florida Keys and regularly fished with it. He swore that his grandfather took good care of it and that it ran great. It had the OMC 5.0 Chevy and Stringer 800 outdrive, with solid motor mounts (no trim). I didn't know it at the time, but the 800 Stringer is the only outdrive that is more reviled than the OMC King Cobra I have now lol. He told me that he had only run it a couple of times, and had replaced the intermediate shaft and bearings after experiencing a failure.

The big attraction to this boat was price. It was a little small for what I wanted, but would still do days and weekends camping on inland lakes. The kid owed $1400 on the rig and if I paid in cash, he would meet me at the bank to sign off the lein and transfer the now-clear title to me. I went ahead with the deal.

$80 on Ebay got me a new starter. Another $80 got me a new battery. I installed that, figured out how the throttle and shift arrangement worked, and reassembled that. Put fresh gas in it, and put it on muffs. I'll be damned if it didn't fire right up and run perfectly.

I recarpeted some of the interior, put in a storage bin and countertop behind the helm seat, new lights and a new stereo. Cut new wood for the gunwale steps, the drinkholder shelf on the doghouse, finished them and refinished the cuddy doors with stain and varnish. LED lights, fixed some wiring, installed a depth finder, and redid the stern shelf so you could open it and stash the bimini and camper tops in there like Bayliner intended.

After two months of fixing it up, I splashed it for the first time with a buddy to help. It was a BLAST. On one trip, a 3' roller came in on the bow. and was with the same buddy who was following me with his jet ski. He motioned for me to giddy up and make a wake for him. I mashed the gas as I nosed into the roller and the boat jumped OUT of the water.....the engine revving out briefly when the prop came out of the water.

When I came to Arizona, I had quite a few days and weekends on this boat with my friends and family. I changed out the gear oil in the outdrive twice a year, and the motor oil once a year. The boat never let me down.

What really gets me is that 2150 was a great performer. Nosed up, nosed over, and you were on plane THAT quickly! It went 43mph on my GPS all day long, turned well. It was a little racehorse! And it was super thrifty on fuel......I could put $40 in it, run it all around the lake, camp overnight, take a spin the next morning and pull it without using it all.

I sold that boat last year, after I acquired by 2655. Needed cash more than I needed two boats. I wish I still had it. The 2655 is a super comfy and roomy boat, but performance wise its like a battleship. If I could do it all over again, I would take the 2655 and store it up at Lake Powell, keep the 2150 and do a serious refurb on the interior, and keep it here in Phoenix for days and weekends on local lakes.

That boat was kind of ratty, but what sticks out to me today is what a performer it was.

That started a love affair for me with boats. Strangely enough, I really enjoy working on them, just like I enjoy working on cars, trucks, bikes, and everything else lol. And of course, being out on the water enjoying the sun and the lake.......

Hope you enjoyed the story!

Pics....

Attached files

Comment

Great story!! That reminds me of one of our first boats. A 18 or 19 foot Aquastar. It had a 350 with the OMC stringer outdrive as well.

Those old OMCs were fast!! It did leave us stranded though when the outdrive wouldn't shift anymore.

Had to get towed back 20 miles to the launch ramp.

I sure miss going fast.

Joel
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Wonderful story. Sounds like you had a lot of fun with that boat so, bottom line, that is all that really mattered. How it looked was secondary.
        Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
        West River Yacht & Cruising Club
        www.wrycc.com

Comment

Geoff, great story and I agree, it is not about how nice the boat is but about how much fun you have....

Comment

I agree with everyone else in that it doesn't matter what the boat looks like...Only that you're enjoying yourself. One of my favorite boats was my first one also, it was a 1978 Bayliner something or other with a straight 6 and 280 outdrive and I would work on it and work on it but without fail as soon as it touched water stuff just started going wrong so it was a power/paddle boat in that we would power out and paddle in but I've never had so much fun in my life...lol

A ton of great memories good and bad will come from boating...lol

Comment

What a great story, those are the kinds of stories that remind me every day why I am a boater! Brought back so many memories of my first boat. Very similar to your story! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Regardless of what boat I ever get, it would be pretty tough to top the fun of my first boat. It was a 1970 Glastron 16' Tri hull, with a Johnson 115 outboard. My dad bought it new when we had a camp on the river. He sold the camp in the 80's, and the boat sat until I got my drivers license. When I did, I took dad's Toyota truck out to his brothers house where the boat was sitting, and drug it out and yanked the cover off. Looking at pictures of the same boat now, it was sort of an ugly boat. But at the time, it was the most awesome thing I ever saw. Thanks to the tight fitting cover the boat was in pretty good shape. And thanks to a simple engine, I got it running pretty quickly. My friends and I used that boat every weekend. One year I had summer school, and I'd tow the boat to school with me, then head straight to the river after school. 3 or 4 of us could chip in a few bucks and come up with a whole days worth of gas. Then we'd ski, kneeboard and tube all day. We knew nothing about boating really, and were probably breaking 100 safety rules. But we survived somehow.

My friends dad had a new Four Winns. It was so much nicer looking than my old trihull. But the big heavy Winns was no match for that little boat being pushed by a 115. He used to get so mad that my junky old boat was way faster than his high dollar baby! He'd make me race him over and over again so he could make sure I wasn't getting a head start or knew some trick. There was me and several of my jackass friends, all laughing in my boat, while he made everyone get out of his at the dock so he could try to beat me along. His face was beet red when he finally docked his boat and stormed off. He never came close. I'd love to know the top speed of that old boat, but the speedo never worked and this was before GPS. It was pretty fast though.

That boat didn't have a head. Or a galley. I didn't know my port from my starboard, or how to properly anchor or tie a bowline. I was just a teenager with a boat. A pretty fast boat. Those few summers, I just did odd jobs, no responsibilities. Spending my days just goofing off at the river. The sad fact is, my life will never be that awesome again!

Eventually, the Johnson's electric shift started acting up and parts were getting hard to find. Then the pulse pack went and cost more than the whole boat was worth so I had to scrap her. :-(

Next time you're enjoying an adult beverage, drink a toast to first boats. I know I will.

Comment

Working...
                X