Tony, Cape Cod, MA
    Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
    1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
    454 Merc Cruisers inboards
    "HOLODECK"
    2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
    www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

Bah, tossing $1800 on a small-display plotter and then integrating it with an iPad so you get a nice big plotter? Seems like flawed logic, no?

The plotter companies must be running scared, since it's just a small matter of time before everyone goes away from $2000 plotters and goes with an iPad.

Comment

Dunno, Carlos- if the wireless interface is not just a repeater, but also give the ability to manipulate the head unit, I see usefulness with this unit. I could install the E-7 head unit at the lower helm, and have total wireless connectivity and control from the flybridge.

I plan on drilling the Raymarine rep at the Seattle Boat show for details.....

Comment

They certainly have to keep up with consumer electronics, but should provide more features specific to marine. That's a nice unit with some thinking. Looks like wired networking on boats will see it's end coming like it has in other industries.

Comment

Pete,

Not in the market yet, but I too will look at it at Boot Dusseldorf in Germany at the end of the month. Mostly I go twice, the Germans they claimed it to be the biggest boat show in the World for what it's worth. But a lot of manufactories use it to show their new stuff here. Indeed it's big very big but not only boats. Also diving gears, diving and sailing vacations , Fishing gear, clothing, Cities, provinces, countries and marinas promoting their boating possibilities and all that has to do with water sports in general is present here. So maybe it's worth to come over and see!

Comment

Looks like wired networking on boats will see it's end coming like it has in other industries.
              Just like in computer networking, it will become a mix of wired and wireless. There's no advantage in making all your engine and bilge-area sensors wireless, but their main feed will likely become wireless. Put a box by the batteries, connect all your NMEA 2000 sensors, and then all the displays are wireless. This box already exists but is $500+ and not very well-supported by other devices. It's just a matter of time. There's an NMEA 2000 to wi-fi box that lets the iPad (and other things) connect to the network, which is pretty awesome, but again, just kind of spotty support at this time.

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
                Just like in computer networking, it will become a mix of wired and wireless. There's no advantage in making all your engine and bilge-area sensors wireless, but their main feed will likely become wireless. Put a box by the batteries, connect all your NMEA 2000 sensors, and then all the displays are wireless. This box already exists but is $500+ and not very well-supported by other devices. It's just a matter of time. There's an NMEA 2000 to wi-fi box that lets the iPad (and other things) connect to the network, which is pretty awesome, but again, just kind of spotty support at this time.
                Oh for sure those critical system will stay hard wired and probably should be. I wander how long before marine devices switch to or introduce Ethernet for networking? Looks like Raymarine is using it.

Comment

onthelake wrote:
                  Oh for sure those critical system will stay hard wired and probably should be. I wander how long before marine devices switch to or introduce Ethernet for networking? Looks like Raymarine is using it.
                  Maretron, Lowrance, Furuno and others have used ethernet for some time now. Long enough that it's not "new". Lowrance in particular offers good comms between ethernet and NMEA2000 devices.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                    Maretron, Lowrance, Furuno and others have used ethernet for some time now. Long enough that it's not "new". Lowrance in particular offers good comms between ethernet and NMEA2000 devices.
                    I guess my stuff is to old. Or is this trend in the higher priced products?

Comment

Both, and also for where it is most applicable. For example a RADAR signal can easily travel on Ethernet, but the other networks, even NMEA 2000, aren't fast enough. But Ethernet is too expensive to implement for low-speed sensors like fuel flow, tab position, pressure/temp, etc, so those are likely to stay NMEA 2000.

Comment

Went back and forth for quite awhile on this one, and after this came out http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...ight=raymarine the decision was easy.

Will be installing it this week, and will report on how the interface works.....

FYI- the E7D has the sounder module built in, while the E7 needs a DSM module to have depth capability.

Comment

Working...