Wi-Fi at the dock advice-gctid367936

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wi-Fi at the dock advice-gctid367936

Our Marina is behind a hotel and we have been able to access the hotel Wi-fi for the last few years while docked. We are near the end of the our particular dock and the Wi fi drifts in and out making it difficult to use for any length of time. Does anyone have a booster or antenna that they can recommend?

Thanks

I have heard good things about this one from Island Time.

Comment

• Don9
      Founding Member
      • Jun 2003

I use the Wave Magnum from Radiolabs... works great!

Comment

Anything less expensive that works well.

Comment

Here's the problem- any booster will have to be at the source, not at your end.

Comment

• iceclimber
            Cleaning the Bilge
            • Jan 2011

You can extend the range of any wired or wireless network using a wireless bridge, but you would need admin access to the host network, probably requiring some serious bribery of the owner of that network. I originally stopped caring about internet on my boat (I'm there to relax, not surf the web) but I like Pandora too much. I ended up with a Verizon 4g phone that I can make a wireless hotspot with an application called FoxFi freely available on the Google play store. Then everyone desiring a connection on the boat can just connect to my phone like it's any other wireless router. Of course, you need an unlimited data plan and 3 or 4g coverage to take advantage of this scheme. Just my way of skinning the cat.

Comment

• iceclimber
              Cleaning the Bilge
              • Jan 2011

Don9 wrote:
              I use the Wave Magnum from Radiolabs... works great!
              Don, two questions.

1) How do you get to be an old member?

2) That range extender looks to be pretty cool - but what is it doing? Does that boost the receiving power of the host computer that it is plugged into - as in boosting the wireless adapter? If so that would solve or at least improve the OP's issue. I just like my deal as it's not tied to any network, as long as I have coverage as mentioned.

Comment

Try this works fantastic, however it is a little pricey. It can grab a weak signal, boast it and give 5 bars. I use it with a netgear router so the whole boat is covered. Laptop, iPad, two iPhones and apple tv

Comment

I just grab my Nexus, go to apps, hit Wi-Fi tether, and share it out at full 4g speeds for all the kids, laptops, net books, tablets, etc. If you have a smartphone, Apple or Android there are options available, and you will be able to use those options at the dock or anywhere there is cell service. Relying on a free wi-fi hot spot is usually unreliable, and also adds a risk of malware, viruses, and of course the possibility of being just plain hacked.

Comment

I had a good experience with Alfa WiFi adapter:

Plus, Amazon has a great return policy in case it doesn't work well enough.

Comment

• Don9
                      Founding Member
                      • Jun 2003

iceclimber wrote:
                      Don, two questions.

1) How do you get to be an old member?
                      Being a survivor ... and typing in old member on the profile page

iceclimber wrote:
                      2) That range extender looks to be pretty cool - but what is it doing? Does that boost the receiving power of the host computer that it is plugged into - as in boosting the wireless adapter? If so that would solve or at least improve the OP's issue. I just like my deal as it's not tied to any network, as long as I have coverage as mentioned.
                      The Wave Magnum is a USB adapter not an antenna booster. The receiver is more sensitive and the transmitter is more powerful than the standard adapters. I can connect to an AP much further away compared to my built in adapter

Comment

• CaptTom
                        Frequent Contributor
                        • Mar 2007

Ditto on the Alpha. It WILL pull in all kinds of signals you otherwise couldn't get. Use mine all the time.

I've never gotten a repeater to work, and others have reported the same thing. I know they CAN work, just lots of problems and compatibility issues.

Comment

I found this wireless USB adapter to pull in about twice or more the signals that I could get with a regular wireless. Besides, I sometimes used it with my laptop, in my van, in a parking lot where I could extend the short cable and set it on my roof. Height, and no obstruction will help a bit on the boat as well. S/B about $30

Comment

• iceclimber
                            Cleaning the Bilge
                            • Jan 2011

Don9 wrote:
                            Being a survivor ... and typing in old member on the profile page

The Wave Magnum is a USB adapter not an antenna booster. The receiver is more sensitive and the transmitter is more powerful than the standard adapters. I can connect to an AP much further away compared to my built in adapter
                            Ah, thanks. It's a super strong external wireless adapter. I note it's got N which is the highest speed available. Well, if you want to :arr someone's internet for free that will get the job done.

Comment

We finally have the boat launched and hope the wi fi will be okay. I might have to check out some of your suggestions.

Comment

Working...