Jabsco Manual Head back flowing-gctid367896

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jabsco Manual Head back flowing-gctid367896

Hi guys, I have a stinky situation. Last season my manual Jabsco head started to back-fill. The problem starts if the holding tank more than 1/2 filled after pumping head out the water level in the bowl fills back up 2 or 3". If underway in bumpy sea conditions I have had incidents of stinky water splashing in the head compartment.

The discharge hose is connected to the top of the tank, so I don't believe its siphoning black water back. However I imagine this water is whats left in the discharge hose after the bowl runs dry. How can I stop this from happening?

It sounds like the joker valve is not closing. It is a flapper valve the opens to allow discharge and should then shut to prevent backflow. You can buy a rebuild kit of just replace entire head. The rebuild kits are about half the cost on a new head.

Wear rubber gloves as it's a sh$$$y job.
    John Rupp
    1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
    5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
    Starshine
    Hino 135

Comment

Trace down your vent line- I'll bet its clogged. Based on your description, the tank gets emptied, and starts shooting feces when half full because the air in the tank has compressed to the point that it needs relief.

Comment

Pau Hana wrote:
        Trace down your vent line- I'll bet its clogged. Based on your description, the tank gets emptied, and starts shooting feces when half full because the air in the tank has compressed to the point that it needs relief.
        +1

Comment

Pete brings up a good point, I'd check the vent before starting to tear things apart.
          John Rupp
          1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
          5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
          Starshine
          Hino 135

Comment

Working...
          X