Purchased a Used Bayliner - Recommended Maintenance?-gctid569269

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchased a Used Bayliner - Recommended Maintenance?-gctid569269

Just purchased a 1999 Capri Cuddy with the 3.0 liter Alpha 1 engine/power drive. Some maintenance records but nothing done during last three years. However everything appears to be in good condition. Any recommendations on where to start in terms of checks or preventative/routine maintenance?

Raw water impeller replacement possibly, at least inspect it.

Remove the outdrive to inspect bellows, gimbal bearing, ujoint crosses...also to lube them+check engine alignment.

Drain drive oil to inspect & replace.

Basic tune up.
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
    93 3058 sold
    92 2855 (day boat)
    91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

+ 1 to what Joon suggested...

and welcome on board and congrats to the new boat.

Comment

"flsandow" post=569269 wrote:
        Any recommendations on where to start in terms of checks or preventative/routine maintenance?

Yes, be somewhat reluctant to believe the PO when it comes to any previously replaced items.

His/her intentions may very well be good... but people tend to exaggerate a bit, thinking that their stuff is in excellent condition.
        Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
        2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
        Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
        Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
        Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

After three years, all of the following must be done:

Replace bellows on outdrive (get a whole "transom kit" that has all of the bellows with it).

Check and lube gimbal bearing.

Change engine and outdrive oil.

Replace water pump impeller.

If it were my boat, I'd also replace the spark plugs.

Comment

Thanks folks for the quick replies.

So I've looked over the service receipts that the PO provided.

Three years ago (March 2011) the following work was accomplished at the local boat dealer/shop:

1. Changed engine oil & filter

2. Replaced all guages @ helm

3. Changed outdrive oil

4. Removed outdrive to inspect u-joints and bellows, inspect shift cavity, inspect propeller and grease shaft, inspect and grease gimble bearing, inspect anodes, check engine alignment

Boat was used very little over the last three years.

So I was thinking of accomplishing the following as a minimum:

1. Change engine oil & filter

2. Change outdrive oil

3. Replace plugs & plug wires

4. Probably need to also replace the water pump impeller

Regarding the water pump impeller, from my quick research on YouTube, it looks like there is one on the engine and one within the outdrive unit.......is that correct?

Also, since the outdrive was removed in 2011 and all the internal workings inspected (and lubed as necessary), should this be done again? What is the recommended service interval for this?

This is my first boat so this is all new to me! (I do a lot of basic work on my vehicles myself so I'm fairly handy with a set of wrenches).

Thanks!

Comment

You have a A1G2...there is only 1 raw water impeller on the lower unit.

I see back in 2011, not even one transom part was replaced...everything pretty much INSPECTED/CHECKED B) . Once that drive bellows start leaking, we're talking a lot more $$$
              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
              93 3058 sold
              92 2855 (day boat)
              Longbranch WA
              Life is Good

Comment

Forgot to mention.......the engine has the fresh water cooling upgrade. Any issues here to look out for?

Comment

The water pump impeller, drive oil, and bellows should be changed every two years. Those parts are rubber and go bad when used or not (often worse when the boat is not used). I just lost an impeller that was 2 years and 3 months old.

Losing a drive bellows is the leading cause of sinkings. Do you really want to risk that for a $40 part? Losing the shift cable bellows leads to shifting problems and a cable replacement.

Water in the oil or bad oil will destroy the drive. $1100-2k just for parts.

Comment

Closed cooling on a 3.0 is good, very good! Keep an eye on for any coolant loss. Since it is easily done on that engine, inspect manifold/riser.

Yes $40 part, but +$400 labor...with a few special tools it can be done in your driveway...
                    Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                    93 3058 sold
                    92 2855 (day boat)
                    Longbranch WA
                    Life is Good

Comment

Just noticed exhaust manifold was also replaced back in March 2011. It was a $411.00 part and by far the most expensive part replaced back then.

Comment

Sorry for the long list of questions but one more?

Is changing the main engine oil & filter and spark plugs a DYI project? As easy as on an automobile?

So far the responses have been very helpful!

Comment

in theory yes but the oil filter is a bit difficult to get off without draining oil into the bilge (unless a remote kit was installed). Put a plastic bag over the filter after you got it lose and a big rag in the bilge to catch what will drip (and it will).

If you have the oil drain hose in the oil pan pull it out through the drain plug hole, warm up the engine (with water supply through muffs) and open the valve. If not you can use an oil extractor through the dip stick but then some dirt may remain in the pan.

Comment

Yes, DIYable all day... look for a drain valve at the oil pan if not it will need to be pumped out
                            Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                            93 3058 sold
                            92 2855 (day boat)
                            Longbranch WA
                            Life is Good

Comment

Order a tune up kit...

http://m.marinediscounters.com/site/...t-3.0%2FDetail
                              Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                              93 3058 sold
                              92 2855 (day boat)
                              Longbranch WA
                              Life is Good

Comment

Working...
                              X