PA boat titles-gctid567712

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PA boat titles-gctid567712

So my friend is buying a used boat (1988 Raven). According the the PA rules, a boat older than a 97 doesn't require a title. But, if it was ever titled, it needs to stay titled. So, the seller of my friends boat has the registration and it's on the up and up. But he doesn't have a title, and he's "pretty sure" the boat was never titled. If that's true, then no problem, we transfer the registration and away we go. But if the seller is wrong and it was titled, I imagine we end up in some sort of beauracratic nightmare when he tries to transfer the registration. PA's official policy is everything is a nightmare. It's just how they roll.

So I guess my question is, does anyone know of a way to find out if a boat was ever titled? Let me emphasize that I have no question about the legality of the boats ownership. I know who the registered owner is, and it is the guy selling it. Nothing funny is going on. He just can't remember if he transferred a title when he bought it or just a registration.

I've tried searching and haven't come up with an answer.

I may be wrong and PA is different but if something had a title the agency which issues these titles has to have a record and a title search request with the HIN will reveal it....... Well, that gets you into the official policy channel.... If they can't, how should they be able to tell you that it had a title?????

Comment

PA is different, bought my sons Colorado there used, owner and myself went to a local tag place, i drove it home, my friend drove my car, all was legal.

I bought a few cars from Reedman. But they were new, and i had a Certificate of Origin.

I would think when you go into the MV in PA, bring the seller and the paper work he has, they run the numbers on the boat, ether way the buyer walks out with the boat in his name one way or the other the seller then gets paid then. Not before.
      Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Boats in PA are titled and or registered thru the PA Fish and Boat Commission. http://fishandboat.com/mpag1.htm Your going to have to contact the Commission with the hull number and/or registration number and they will tell you if it is titled.
        John Rupp
        1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
        5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
        Starshine

Comment

in PA - on the registration card - there is a place for "Title Number"

if this has ******** in it - then the boat was never titled

if this has a number - then it has a title - and will require said title during the transfer process

Comment

Justin

I agree that dealing with PA goverment quickly turns into a nightmare. PennDOT being about the worst. I have to say that dealing with both the PA Fish and Boat Commission abd the PA Game Commission are usually positive. Call at 866-262-8734 or email the HIN and they will be able to tell you if boat is titled.
            John Rupp
            1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
            5.8 OMC Cobra

1989 3288
            Starshine

Comment

The seller has to get his signature notarized in PA.

That means he has to be there. And if the seller has to get a tittle in the sellers name, and then sign it over to the buyer who then can have it tittle in his name, or move it to a different state.

The seller should be with the buyer at the Agency they must go to.

The seller shouldn't mind, all is on the up, and up.No funny business going on.

My newest baby, i sailed right thru it was a NJ tittle, and i'm registering in NJ.

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys! I called the number John supplied, and also called the closest local office, just to make sure. Here's what I learned. The boat has never been titled, and doesn't need to be. According to the fish and boat commission, all I need to do is have the owner sign a bill of sale and submit that with the application for registration. I don't need a notary since there is no title. I can choose to go to a notary if I want, but that's only if I want them to process the registration to give me a temporary sticker so my friend can use the boat immediately.

Comment

Good to go, ain't life grand.

Manalapan N.J

Comment

"Chief Alen" post=567979 wrote:
                    It is in this case! I have to tell you, I'm still shocked and amazed by how easy it is to deal with the fish and boat people in PA. It's as if they aren't even a government office! I was never on hold more than a few seconds, and everyone I spoke with was friendly, helpful and knew what they were talking about. That is the exact opposite of what you'll get when you try to call any other government agency in PA.

Comment

"nitsuj" post=568102 wrote:
                      "Chief Alen" post=567979 wrote:
                      It is in this case! I have to tell you, I'm still shocked and amazed by how easy it is to deal with the fish and boat people in PA. It's as if they aren't even a government office! I was never on hold more than a few seconds, and everyone I spoke with was friendly, helpful and knew what they were talking about. That is the exact opposite of what you'll get when you try to call any other government agency in PA.
                      Give NY a try if you want to feel the pain. You do realize don't you that you didn't get hassled because there wasn't a hassle to have? That's how it goes with boat titles, if no title then just sign the back of the registration. Personally I would have made it's being able to be registered easily part of the deal and in writing. That way you don't get stuck when the guy before the guy or some such situation makes some other guys problem yours.

You really have to watch those registration situations. Around here in NY it's scrap titled Vermont cars. You can pick one up and register it fine in Vermont but just buy one and bring it to NY. You need the special inspection at the special place and by the time you are done it' s a nightmare of regulatory crazy if you manage to do it at all. It's one of those things like.

Another little stunt to dodge is liens. You can't get the registration changed till the liens are cleared. Even if they were paid off a decade ago your lovely DMV won't remove it from the title. Thus when you go to buy / sell it you nave to go to some lien service to have it looked up and documented. Of course for this 30 second effort you have to pay $35 up front and get your pockets dumped. What a bureaucratic rip off. The worst part is that after that last bit of loving you don't even rate a kiss.........................................Remem ber, its just business. :evil:

Comment

I left my home state of PA in 2002.

I had a 1987 Bayliner and sold it in 1989. No Title.

Evidently, the law has changed there since we left.

I now live in Tenn.

NO boat Titles here to-date.

Every state is different regarding boat titles.

Some, like Tenn, just require a Bill Of Sale to be registered in this state.

Comment

Apparently boats newer than 97 are required to be titled, boats before that, it's optional. You can have a boat built in the 80's that was never titled, and you still don't have to title it. You don't even have to notarize transfer of ownership. You just have the seller sign a bill of sale, then you apply for new registration. Which you can do instantly if you go to an authorized notary. The seller doesn't have to be present.

While I'm very pleased with how easy this makes it, I'm a little shocked that it hasn't lead to any problems. In theory, one could forge a bill of sale for any old boat they want, assuming it isn't titled, then go get it registered in their name, then go steal it from the rightful owner. All you'd have is his word against the thief's. Eventually you may get it sorted out and get your boat back, but until then, it could be a huge headache.

For instance, in this case, my friend gave the owner of the boat x amount of money, and the owner signed a bill of sale that my friend then takes to a notary, without the seller present, and gets the boat registered in his name, and he can legally drive that boat on the water. That notary has no way of knowing if the bill of sale is legit, of if my friend paid for the boat.

Comment

Working...
                          X