How to change dash gauges?-gctid567665

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change dash gauges?-gctid567665

I want to update the dash gauges on my 89 cuddy with something like new autometer gauges possibly. I have access to a cnc router so I can route the panel itself so that isn't my concern what I am wondering is can you unhook the stock gauges and wire in the same type you would use for a car or are there gauges built just for boats.

Has anyone done this or something similar?

if you would use the search function we have you would see a lot of examples.............

Yes, it can be done IF you can find automotive gauges for all these functions. Haven't seen one for the trim level of the outdrive in my car yet....... You also have to make sure that they are designed for the resistor values used in our boats (most are unless you buy the Autometer ones they sell in Europe). I would buy marine ones as you get all the "functions" you need in one single style.

It's simply taking the old ones out and hooking the wires back to the new instruments.

Comment

There can be a disparity between engines and tachometers, though. The tach on my '89 does not play well with my '98 engine because of changes in the tach output signal. That is unless I'm getting 60kph at WOT with only 2400 rpm (engine rated for 5200), which would be AWESOME....but not very likely.

Comment

Speed is measured with pilot tube assembly (water flow velocity). I do not believe you will find an automotive equivalent.
        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
        1998 3055 Ciera
        (yes, a 1998)
        Previous boat: 1993 3055
        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
        Sea Doo XP
        Sea Doo GTI SE
        Life is short. Boats are cool.
        The family that plays together stays together.
        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

[sarcasm]Phil, you could use a hall based paddle wheel and an electronic speedo which can be adjusted electronically :side: [/sarcasm]

Edit: added tags for green650.........

Comment

Or just use a speedo that uses a new technology called gps.

I wouldn't waste my time with a cnc unless you plan on making hundreds. Get your panel, cut it with a jig saw, sand it or file it to make the edges pretty, and use a hole saw for the gauges. You could go high tech and do digital gauges.

Here is a gps based speedo

http://autoplicity.com/products/3454...3ssyvWfBDw_wcB

Comment

I believe that your '89 cuddy falls into the boat catagory. If so... use Marine parts. :whistle:
              Rick E. Gresham, Oregon
              2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
              Twin 280 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
              Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
              Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Comment

I use these all the time. You can get a whole set for $150 (includes a new pickup tube for speedo). They are Faria and available in all sorts of colors and layouts.

Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Saw this new set on Ebay for $139, free shipping. Great deal! I guess with an outboard, I can't use half of these though, right?

Comment

you would even have a problem with the RPM/tach gauge it isn't one for outboards. You need a set for outboard engines which won't contain the temp and oil gauge. There are sensors available for outboards to measure the exit water flow temperature or even the block temp but they usually aren't installed.

Comment

I bought that set but got the GPS speedometer. Faria makes one to match. The cost of the individual gauges was enough that I could buy the set and the GPS speedometer for about the cost of buying them separately. And now I can sell the pitot speedometer.

Haven't installed them yet. Work is interfering with the important fun stuff.

Comment

SomeSailor, This is the same set I used on my 1988 2655. Easy to replace. Used 1/4 inch black Plexiglas, cut holes. Some wires required new fasteners and others original worked fine . Mine looks great and I am very pleased. Gary

Comment

Working...
                        X