Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To BBQ Or Not To BBQ on your boat???-gctid367587

Hi All,

My wife is suggesting we put a BBQ on our 2655. I love a good BBQ and I'm a proud owner of a Weber at home, but I just don't see the need for one on a boat.

First off - We have a full size BBQ dockside at our slip.

Secondly - I don't see my-self firing up a BBQ, while trying to balance a valuable tray of meat and at the same time trying to keep the smoke away from the cockpit & cabin so it doesn't smell like a restaurant for weeks.

Third - I think the BBQ would mess up the deck and possibly be a safety issue with kids.

If we did a lot of overnight traveling to different areas I could maybe see the benefits but we mostly just cruise, anchor and chill and then return to our dock in the evening.

I'm curious to know others experience in this area, maybe I'm over analyzing this but its a fairly big purchase, if you want a good unit.

You do not know what your missing, you could get a small propane BBQ and eliminate the charcoal smoke.

They have brackets to keep the BBQ over the side.
    Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
    Twin 350 GM power
    Located in Seward, AK
    Retired marine surveyor

Comment

BBQ on the water is great. No mess, no smell. Worth every penny.

Comment

A grill on a boat around here is almost mandatory. We don't grill every time we go out, but when we do, it can't be beat!:arr
        Jeff & Tara
        (And Ginger too)
        Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
        "GetAway"
        Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

Mandatory. We grill as often as we can- crab, fish, meat, veggies, etc.

There are grills that mount on the rail, gunnel, etc. You can fabricate your own or get on at your favorite retailer.

Comment

No need to break the bank. $40 at lowes for a compact propane grill and some small bottles of propane. I built a table that attaches to the transom hand rail. Set the grill up there, fire it up, add meat/veg of your choice, and enjoy the view! If you are at anchor, the wind will be blowing from your bow towards stern. If the grill is at the back of the boat, the wind will carry any smoke away from the boat. No worries about smoking out the cabin.

Comment

I too am the master of the "man-fire" cooking at home and enjoy it year around. However there is nothing sweeter than a quiet evening BBQ enjoyed with a glass of wine with my wife on the boat. Our magna is pedestal mounted on the swim platform. I have learned to stock up on cheap tongs and flippers in case of an accidental slip. Mess is minimal if you do it right! (Stay away from really greasy chicken!).

Grilling on the boat can't be beat!

Comment

To Grill Or Not To Grill

GRILL MAN,,,,,grill all summer long!

Only things like spare ribs or pork chops ar cheap hamburger will make a mess.

Think a burger is good on teh dock? Try one while you're drifting the day away!

Steak & shrimp on teh grill, while on your boat, is pretty close to FANTASTIC

Comment

We have had a BBQ on all of our boat's ... I think it's part of boating. We go down river find a sand bar, let the dog off to run and do her thing... Sip on some wine and cook a burger or T-Bone....

Get a BBQ thats cheap.. then after you see what you like about it or dont like about it.. then you will know what to buy next year or keep what you have.... OH! I found a batt. powered spit for $10.00 at Menards a few years back and use that from time to time.... Even did a Prime Rib...

Life is good on a boat..........

BUCKANEER

:arr

Comment

Man. I don't even know what to say: Steak, Fish, Burgers, Nachos, Veggies, Chicken, Brats, Quesadillas, Bacon, Pork Tenderloin, etc

I guess if you like soup, you wouldn't need a grill.

Your call, though
                    Tally and Vicki
                    "Wickus" Meridian 341
                    MMSI 338014939

Comment

Oysters, Prawns, and Grilled breads.

Man, I wish I had my grill fired up right now.
                      Tally and Vicki
                      "Wickus" Meridian 341
                      MMSI 338014939

Comment

Definitely must grill. Here is a picture of the bracket that attaches to the stern rail by KUUMA.

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/671019=26062-Everything 341.jpg[/img]

Comment

I don't know where to start but if I had to choose between a boat or a bbq the bbq would win. Definitely a BBQ on board however do make sure you go propane. The old fashion charcoal style are outright dangerous on a boat, make a mess and where do you put all the ashes once they cool down 12hrs later. Here is a picture of mine. Wanna Race????

[img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/671029=26063-houseboat-bbq-choosing-a-barbeque-or-gas-cooking-grills-for-house-boats-21291081.jpg[/img]
                          Cheers, Hans
                          2007 Carver 41 CMY
                          Twin Volvo D6-370
                          Montreal, Canada
                          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

I couldnt live without my bbq.

My 2355 had it installed on a pole that mounted to the swim platform.

Here is my 3055 installed on the back hand rail.

Comment

245_Tom wrote:
                              Definitely must grill. Here is a picture of the bracket that attaches to the stern rail by KUUMA.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]
                              Either Lowes or home depot sometimes has in stock a grill like this, I have one, it is better than my Dickenson grill.
                              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                              Twin 350 GM power
                              Located in Seward, AK
                              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                              X