Marine thief caught-gctid367435

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marine thief caught-gctid367435

Read this in the paper today. Anyone have things stolen from their boat while tied up in the marina ?

http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/3...tro-vancouver/
    1992 4588
    Sea Nile

Seadoo Wake 170

joe440 wrote:
    Read this in the paper today. Anyone have things stolen from their boat while tied up in the marina ?

Hang em High

Comment

I once had a brand new dinghy stolen in False Creek (Vancouver).

I had just blown it up and locked it to my swimstep, I was going to put the Weaver davits on the next day. Next day came and it was gone. Padlock cut with bolt cutters.

Claimed it on insurance, had to pay the deductible...but the nice thing was, the next larger model was on sale for the same price I had paid a month before.
      Mike P
      The Bahamas
      Formerly Vancouver BC, Bermuda and The Grenadine Islands.

Click here to hear my original music, FREE to download to your computer or iPod.

Comment

Last year while staying on the boat one nite at the marina I awoke to the noise of some one taking our mooring lines off :livid:. I grabbed my fighting knife and skivies and slipped out the back on to the dock and chased the man down the marina to a dead end on the dock. I told him if he wanted to leave he had to swim the river or come to me. He chose to swim the river:rif-. In the meantime the wife got some other lines to tie the boat up. Police came and he was id'd by another person who saw him ealier and knew him as a mechanic. He was seen walking the docks early in the morning looking at boats and told another he was a mechanic looking for a boat to work on but forgot the slip number and boat name. He had a wheel barrow some basic tools including large bolt cutters and a blanket which the police seized. I remember the name Frank from talking with the witness and police. The marina lost a lot of down riggers and three outboards last year.

Comment

I really never had any issues in all my years of boating nor do I know of anyone at any of the marinas I have stayed at however it does remind me of a single incident way back when I had my 2355. I was docked in a very popular canal area just before the locks for the evening. This is sort of like a get together area and it is even difficult to squeeze in on the weekends. Here it is http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/qc/anned...it/Visit7.aspx

We were tied to the wall and fast asleep for the night when I was awakened by somebody getting onto my boat. I sprang out of the aft, grabbed a kitchen knife and yelled to get the F off my boat. Heard 2 splashes as they dove to the water. I took out the spotlight and lit them up only to be arrested on the other side trying to get up the wall by local police. Turns out it was 2 young drunk kids going for the contents of the cooler on the platform as they know these are is normally stocked with beer.

Moral of the story, nothing changed as this was probably a once in a lifetime event.

Strangest thing is when I spoke to the better half the next morning she did not believe me. I could not believe she slept through all of the commotion!!
          Cheers, Hans
          2007 Carver 41 CMY
          Twin Volvo D6-370
          Montreal, Canada
          Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Beer theft is a problem on my boat. I don't know who's doing it and it isn't affecting me too much, so I haven't reported it yet.

Each time I pick a beer up, it always seems to be empty and I have to go get another.

Comment

There was a "pirate" boat steeling transient moorage and power last year in the San Juan's & Gulf Islands.

He repeatedly hit a number of private club moorages, plus regular moorage at Roche, Friday, Deer, Anacortes and many others.

Typically he would arrive after 6:00pm when many marinas were closed for the night. I'm with Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club out of Bellevue WA and he hit our private outstations numerous times.

He got reported to Sheriff of Friday Harbor and other places, but not sure he was ever caught. Even when confronted by marina staff, he wouldn't always leave.

FYI it was a Bayliner 4087 (same as mine!) with a Russian family on board. Skipper claimed not to speak English, but his two daughters were fluent. Boat's home port was somewhere in Bellingham.

Machog
              1996 4087 Lazy Days
              2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
              2011 Porsche Cayman
              2010 Lexus IS 250C
              2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
                Beer theft is a problem on my boat. I don't know who's doing it and it isn't affecting me too much, so I haven't reported it yet.

Each time I pick a beer up, it always seems to be empty and I have to go get another.
                Same happens on my boat too. I will have to investigate.

Comment

Saintjon wrote:
                  I concur. And I have also noticed that the next morning my black water tank is filled more than usual, I wonder why that is?

Comment

Saintjon wrote:
                    Sorry it was me, but in my defense you offered!

Comment

joe440 wrote:

yup, had my dinghy stolen last year - luckily BUD was found a few days later.

for this guy? off w/his nads op-

Comment

There's been a guy on Seattle Craigs List selling his uncle / grandpa / dad's kicker, he can't start it because the cables and fuel lines were cut, he'll give you a real good deal on it.......

Comment

[

{Typically he would arrive after 6:00pm when many marinas were closed for the night. I'm with Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club out of Bellevue WA and he hit our private outstations numerous times. }"

Hey there, this is unrelated but I noticed you were with the Meydenbauer Yacht Club.... this where the 3988 we are buying is moored, boat name "Bodacious"

Cheers, Gary

Machog[/QUOTE]

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:

I did not realise, that evaporation can occur in cooler temteratures as well. That a common problem here.

Cheers

Comment

Peter W wrote:
                              I did not realise, that evaporation can occur in cooler temteratures as well. That a common problem here.

Cheers
                              So it can happen with bad beer too?

Comment

Working...
                              X