Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I am going to go insane!!! Please help-gctid367403

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I am going to go insane!!! Please help-gctid367403

    I was watching a youtube video on upholstery. In the video the guys didnt need to replace the whole foam cusion. Instead they applied a patch piece of some kind then used an electric carving knife to shape the contour. The piece was probly only 6" by 8". They used many different pieces, mainly on the outer side of the seat and top corners of the back rest. I have been spending hours trying to find out what this stuff is called and where to get it.

    PLEASE HELP IF YOU KNOW LOL

    #2
    gustoph0 wrote:
    I was watching a youtube video on upholstery. In the video the guys didnt need to replace the whole foam cusion. Instead they applied a patch piece of some kind then used an electric carving knife to shape the contour. The piece was probly only 6" by 8". They used many different pieces, mainly on the outer side of the seat and top corners of the back rest. I have been spending hours trying to find out what this stuff is called and where to get it.

    PLEASE HELP IF YOU KNOW LOL
    What type of cusion, where is it used. There are many types of foam with different densitys and thicknesses I would think and it is just my opinion that both old and new would need to match so as to wear evenly. Can you post the video's

    Comment


      #3
      bump
      ..........

      Comment


        #4
        crowder.dr wrote:
        What type of cusion, where is it used. There are many types of foam with different densitys and thicknesses I would think and it is just my opinion that both old and new would need to match so as to wear evenly. Can you post the video's
        This is the video... Watch @ 52 seconds. This is the material I am looking for so as not to have to replace the whole seat!

        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3DEtfYraYQ

        Comment


          #5
          gustoph0 wrote:
          This is the video... Watch @ 52 seconds. This is the material I am looking for so as not to have to replace the whole seat!

          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3DEtfYraYQ
          Well I would suggest contacting the maker of the video via the email that is supplied in the text below the video. However I would note that you can still see the indent in the finished product in the video and it is not a marine application

          Comment


            #6
            So what do you suggest. Would I be better off buying new foam for the seats. My seats are the ones that extend out to make a bed. Are these something I can make myself or are they machine made.

            Also, is marine vinyl the only fabric that I can use for the reupholstery project, or is there any othere material that can be used. We would like to go with a pure white and orange color montoge.

            One last thing, when sewing the new material, can one of those hand sewing machines work or would you reco that I use a full size machine?

            Comment


              #7
              gustoph0 wrote:
              So what do you suggest. Would I be better off buying new foam for the seats. My seats are the ones that extend out to make a bed. Are these something I can make myself or are they machine made.

              Also, is marine vinyl the only fabric that I can use for the reupholstery project, or is there any othere material that can be used. We would like to go with a pure white and orange color montoge.

              One last thing, when sewing the new material, can one of those hand sewing machines work or would you reco that I use a full size machine?
              Are you talking about the cusions in your cabin or cusion above on your deck?

              Comment


                #8
                I sent an email to the video producer.

                I am talking about the seats above my deck. The cuddy cabin seats are just fine, hidden form the elements.

                Comment


                  #9
                  gustoph0 wrote:
                  I sent an email to the video producer.

                  I am talking about the seats above my deck. The cuddy cabin seats are just fine, hidden form the elements.
                  Then IMHO you need to use either (MARINE) vinyl and or a foam that allows water to flow through and dry with an outdoor grade material like sunbrella.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    alright tht is what i will do then.

                    Whwere can I find the sticky on "trim tabs"

                    Comment


                      #11
                      gustoph0 wrote:
                      alright tht is what i will do then.

                      Whwere can I find the sticky on "trim tabs"
                      try doing a seach on the forum

                      Comment


                        #12
                        gustoph0 wrote:
                        This is the video... Watch @ 52 seconds. This is the material I am looking for so as not to have to replace the whole seat!

                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3DEtfYraYQ
                        First off, what that guy did in the video was somewhat half azz'd . What typically happens is next year you have a nice cover but the foundation is sagging making it look like crap.

                        If you don't have the skills/time/money to do it right, I would suggest seat covers from Overtons or West Marine. Cheap easy and will be good enough for a season or 2.

                        But to answer your question what he used was just some scraps of urethane foam and then shaped it with a Bosch foam cutter with the "foot" plate taken off. Yes you can use an electric carving knife but the results will be somewhat sloppier.

                        Then he topped it off with what looked like 1/2" poly urethane sheet to smooth things out.It's available it various width rolls.

                        I did not notice what glue he used but it's available in brush or spray.

                        You can buy that stuff at any place that sells fabric or upholstery supplies or if all you needed was a small amount, your local upholster might just give it to you. Then you buy him a coffee so you can go back for advice.

                        By the way, make sure your using UV rated thread for any sewing.

                        Good luck

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Along with Overton's, Cabela's also has a decent small boat section and has some nice back to back lounge seats for a good price.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            gustoph0 wrote:
                            So what do you suggest. Would I be better off buying new foam for the seats. My seats are the ones that extend out to make a bed. Are these something I can make myself or are they machine made.

                            Also, is marine vinyl the only fabric that I can use for the reupholstery project, or is there any othere material that can be used. We would like to go with a pure white and orange color montoge.

                            One last thing, when sewing the new material, can one of those hand sewing machines work or would you reco that I use a full size machine?
                            I would go with a full size machine as you are going to need to sew through 4 layers of vinyl at the seams,adding zippers etc.Im going to sew in velcro instead of zippers.I just purchased a singer for $88.00 new and watched dvd included and in an hour I was sewing away.You dont need a large machine to do the job unless you plan on many projects in the future.You need open cell foam for boat seats just cut to fit spray with 3m glue to secure the pieces. I cant remember the exact name of the stuff but I used it before and it works great.Use marine vinyl only its uv treated and upholstery thread #16-18 needle.Fist pic was 4 layers,breezed through it like it wasnt even there.

                            Attached files http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img] http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Thanks so much you 3 for all that info. I would have necer been able to find all that info. I am going to do exactly what you have advised. I am going to put up a before thread so everyone can see what I am starting out with...

                              Let me warn you, its going to most likely make everyone sick and think I might be a little outta my mind for taking it on though LOL

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X