Rookie question.. boarding while in storage-gctid367088

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rookie question.. boarding while in storage-gctid367088

Quick question... heading down to the boat tmrw and was curious if while blocked, does the marina allow you to board your boat while in storage? Do they provide a means to do so- ladder, staircase, etc.. or do i need to bring one? Or do they prohibit it until its in the water? Would like to have a game plan so as not not to be high and dry... thanks again.

You probably need to check with your marina regarding their policy.

Comment

If they are like most, they don't provide much of anything. We have water and electricity available. I have stayed on mine overnight a couple times this year already.

Comment

ak- thanks, itll all work out i suppose.

stjohn- im assuming your boat is on a trailer right? If on blocks... the marina's ok? What if it were to somehow tip, would the marina put the blame on you for being on it?

Comment

apexaro1 wrote:
          ak- thanks, itll all work out i suppose.

stjohn- im assuming your boat is on a trailer right? If on blocks... the marina's ok? What if it were to somehow tip, would the marina put the blame on you for being on it?
          A properly blocked boat is extremely stable. You will have no issues climbing on, moving around, working on it, etc. If the weight of a person can tip a blocked boat, the wind through the winter would have done it by now.

I'd like to say we *all* do it. I do, and everybody I know does too.

Comment

Our Marina allows you to board while blocked on land but not if it's in a rack. Lots of people wait to unload their boats for the winter until after it's blocked. It makes it a lot easier to just pull the car/truck up next to the boat and skip all the trips up and down the docks hauling all the stuff.

I don't winterize my engines until it's blocked so access is a must. A good many people use the winter to do projects while the boat is out. We even stay on it over night so we can avoid the long trip to and from it while doing projects.

Take a ladder, a long hose, shore power adapter and some extension cords.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:
              A properly blocked boat is extremely stable. You will have no issues climbing on, moving around, working on it, etc. If the weight of a person can tip a blocked boat, the wind through the winter would have done it by now.I'd like to say we *all* do it. I do, and everybody I know does too.
              Its on blocks and very stable.

http://baylinerownersclub.org/media/....jpg[/img]

Comment

I use the regular swim ladder to get on it while it's out of the water. If it's not long enough, bring a step ladder, crate, whatever.

As far as "allowed," in cases like this always ask for forgiveness, not permission.

Comment

Saintjon wrote:
                  If they are like most, they don't provide much of anything. We have water and electricity available. I have stayed on mine overnight a couple times this year already.
                  +1

bring your own ladder. Staying on her already eh john

Comment

Our Marina is fine with getting on a blocked boat. It is very stable. If it wasn't i certainly wouldn't be painting under one.

Comment

btw, when I was a kid, my dad had a 1979 Saratoga Sunbridge, and his best friend had a 79 Victoria Sunbridge. Love his boat! I am a fan of the Victoria SB.

Comment

biohazard wrote:
                        +1

bring your own ladder. Staying on her already eh john
                        Got a little chilly one night. Didn't have enough power for two heaters. I did last weekend. Waxed below the rub rail, but only got 1/2 done. Too frekin cold. So much for the nice weekend. Finished today. Bottom is painted. Need to fix an intake that got move while being extracted for the (long sea). Wait for the new batteries to get installed and get the DC going and should be ready for splash the 13th.

Have to go to New York this weekend. Needed to make sure I am ready because who knows what the weather will be like next week. Plus, still looking for a new employee, so I may have to WORK. Yuck. Oh well.

Comment

I have been on mine for weeks. Shore power is on, water is hooked up and we have been just sort of putzing around doing small things. Shrink wrap is off, and the camper top is on. Most of the "gear" is loaded, and with the weather starting to cooperate we are planning om staying om it at least one night this coming weekend.

As most said, if it is blocked up properly, there is pretty much nothing that will cause it to come off the blocks. I have been on mine every season so far while on the blocks or the trailer with no issues.

Comment

Solid as a rock i might add! Showed the kids for the first time (surprise!), they shared in my joy! Super stoked and wishing we were out there right now!!! Bottom paint is good for this year, just needs a lil spit shine! oh, [email protected]!! Almost an anxiety attack- welcoming the season with arms wide open!!! Can ya tell im excited? Thanks again to you all for all the time spent w me!

Comment

CandyO wrote:
                              Our Marina is fine with getting on a blocked boat. It is very stable. If it wasn't i certainly wouldn't be painting under one.
                              I could never do that. Not ever.

Goosebumps to even think about going underneath one. No way.

Nope,,,,,I would maybe pick up a snake first! Anybody recall that story?

SwampNut wrote:
                              I use the regular swim ladder to get on it while it's out of the water. If it's not long enough, bring a step ladder, crate, whatever.

As far as "allowed," in cases like this always ask for forgiveness, not permission.
                              Sage advice here, I use it almost every time.

Better results

Comment

Working...
                              X