Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Windshield Wiper Help-gctid365245

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Windshield Wiper Help-gctid365245

    Hi All,

    I threw this out on BOC a little while ago and got no response. I tried some research on my own and got nowhere. So I am hoping someone here might be able to help me this time.

    I want to add a windshield wiper to my 2010 245SB. I tried to find out what manufacturer Bayliner uses for their wiper motor but no luck. I can find wiper kits from quite a few online marine stores but I am not sure what would be the right one to buy. The 245SB already has a wiper switch on the dashboard.

    Does anybody have any help on this?

    Thanks - Tom

    #2
    I don't know if Bayliner was still using this brand in your model year, but they match up well with older Bayliners.

    http://store.amequipment.com/
    John Rupp
    1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
    5.8 OMC Cobra

    1989 3288
    Starshine
    Hino 135

    Comment


      #3
      Thanks johnrupp for that link. Interesting site. I think I might give them a call and see if they can do any cross-referencing.

      Comment


        #4
        Personally I wouldn't worry too much about what Bayliner has used. My last two Bayliners both came with a starboard wiper but they were far from great. Maybe you should focus more on what would fit and look for better quality. Just a thought.

        Comment


          #5
          here is an online part catalog for bayliner parts... good luck

          http://www.baylinercustomercare.com/catalogs_index.html

          Comment


            #6
            IF it was up to me I would invest in a bottle of rain-x and treat the windshield to a couple of coats and call it a day. Think about how many rainy days you plan on being out on the water driving around or even on your boat at all.... JMHO

            Comment


              #7
              Abigayle III wrote:
              IF it was up to me I would invest in a bottle of rain-x and treat the windshield to a couple of coats and call it a day. Think about how many rainy days you plan on being out on the water driving around or even on your boat at all.... JMHO
              I had to look twice and see if my wife wrote that response. :kidding

              That is a good point Abigayle III. It was more for precautionary reasons in case we do get caught out in the rain. But it sure could buy a lot of bottles of Rain-X with that savings of money.

              Comment


                #8
                If you use RainX watch the overspray. Don't get it on the vinyl windows on your enclosure.
                John Rupp
                1989 2455 Ciera Sunbridge
                5.8 OMC Cobra

                1989 3288
                Starshine
                Hino 135

                Comment


                  #9
                  Windshield wipers are also used if you are getting wind blown spray on the windshield, not just for rain.

                  There are lots of times we use ours with no rain coming down.

                  Measure the shaft length / diameter needed and the degrees of sweep and buy the one that fits. Pretty easy to do and it will be there when / if needed. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Jeff H wrote:
                    Measure the shaft length / diameter needed and the degrees of sweep and buy the one that fits. Pretty easy to do and it will be there when / if needed. Better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it!
                    Jeff - this is the issue. I currently don't have a wiper to check what I need. When you go to Bayliner.com and check the parts catalog, the info for the 2010 245 SB wiper motor is vague. Unless I am missing something. There are 4 items listed for the wiper.This is what is listed in the parts catalog:

                    wiper arm, pantograph 26" adjustable (#1692855)

                    wiper motor assy, adj dg 2" shaft cw (#1702776)

                    wiper arm, adapter pantagraph heavy duty (#1702777)

                    wiper blade, 18" flex black (am) (#1748550)

                    Maybe someone can interpret that so I can cross reference another brand like maybe am equipment.

                    Thanks - Tom

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I find those "marine" wipers to be of basically the worst quality and highest priced wipers on the market. Personally I was able to purchase those hinge less type car wipers and the adaptor was compatible with the boat arm. Bought the Michelin brand but guess most will fit. http://www.pylonhq.com/ They have been on the boat for several years and still work and look great.
                      Cheers, Hans
                      2007 Carver 41 CMY
                      Twin Volvo D6-370
                      Montreal, Canada
                      Midnight Sun I Photos

                      Comment


                        #12
                        245_Tom wrote:
                        Jeff - this is the issue. I currently don't have a wiper to check what I need. When you go to Bayliner.com and check the parts catalog, the info for the 2010 245 SB wiper motor is vague. Unless I am missing something. There are 4 items listed for the wiper.This is what is listed in the parts catalog:

                        wiper arm, pantograph 26" adjustable (#1692855)

                        wiper motor assy, adj dg 2" shaft cw (#1702776)

                        wiper arm, adapter pantagraph heavy duty (#1702777)

                        wiper blade, 18" flex black (am) (#1748550)

                        Maybe someone can interpret that so I can cross reference another brand like maybe am equipment.

                        Thanks - Tom
                        Hey Tom,

                        I was thinking there already was a hole punched for the old motor -

                        So it sounds like none was installed originally?.

                        Based on the above info, looks like you have listed what you need ie:

                        wiper arm that is a 26" and is adjustable (in length, it will say example 24" to 28" or 22" to 26" or any combo of these)

                        wiper motor with adjustable degree motion with 2" long shaft motor runs clockwise

                        pantograph arm adapter (this will adapt the arm to the motor shaft)

                        and an 18" wiper blade (most these are standard marine) that fits the arm.

                        West marine carries a wide selection or look on the internet for suppliers.

                        If I get time I will look also.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Hi Jeff,

                          Thanks for your help. I got the list of parts needed from Bayliner's parts catalog. Apparently the wiper was an option with the preferred package. My boat does have the wiper switch. It must have power to it because when you toggle it, the indicator light comes on.

                          The reason I am trying to search for a wiper kit other than ordering from Bayliner is cost. It seems like the Bayliner price is very high. But I am having a hard time taking the Bayliner numbers and cross referencing them to another manufacturer. Great Lakes Skipper sells a lot of wiper motors but I can not figure out what I need. - Tom

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I called AM Equipment and talked to Butch and I want to say, if all customer service was as good as these folks, we wouldn't have anything to complain about anymore. He was able to set me up with all the part numbers I need and gave me excellent pricing. All I need now is to pull the trigger. Thanks all for your help and advice.

                            One thing I have to decide is whether this is an install I can do or do I pay the extra $$ and have our marina do it.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X