No announcement yet.

New guy - introduction, questions-gctid365124

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be sure to ask if the conversion will handle the big block Ford you have.
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Bob,

Before you get her on the water, take your time to know the systems and how they work.

When you do get her on the water, HAVE someone with you that knows how to handle a cruiser (not a small boater) and show you how to take her out of the slip and back. As others have stated, you will need practice and a sense of timing.

If it's windy, don't bother taking her out. An experienced captain won't worry about wind so its hard for you to understand the decisions they are making, and you need to practice without wind first.

Don't take the family until you have spent time on the boat and build your confidence in handling.

Make sure all the required safety equipment is installed and working and know how to use it. First Aid kit is a must. Others will suggest items they found are very important to cruising life.

Know and understand how the battery system works.

Hope this helps and ask lots of questions, we're all happy to provide advise and our experiences.

Comment

This has all been very helpful and informative - very glad I stumbled into this forum.

Yes, it will be a strictly freshwater boat, and as far as I know, has always been (but something I now to verify - thank you)

I will get a survey done before I get much further - sounds like a prudent thing to do.

Assuming there are no major problems aside from the missing stern drive, my best estimate is that by the time it it's the water I'd be in about $5-7K depending on the cost of the drive. PLUS a lot of elbow grease, but that ok. From what I've in classifieds, it seems to me that as long as I'm in that range I'm not too far in as far as $ are concerned.

The running debate has been power vrs sail. Based on what I expect we would use the boat for, power makes more sense to me. I had been going back and forth with the "but wind is free" thing, until I started talking to some sailing guys about sail costs. Ouch. I guess now matter how you look at it, if you're going to go boating, you're going to spend $ - it's just a matter of where!

Bob

Comment

I love my 85 2850 contessa sunbridge. This is the perfect sized boat for me and my kids and/or fishing buddies. The layout is great, and equivalent to a modern 30 footer.

I have twin 5.0 VP V-8s (Chevy 305 ci) and get 1 mpg when on plane. I am messing with trim, etc, and i think i can get to 1.5 mpg. The 460 is a gas guzzler in for trucks, might be in boats too.

Comment

rstackjd wrote:
            This has all been very helpful and informative - very glad I stumbled into this forum.

Yes, it will be a strictly freshwater boat, and as far as I know, has always been (but something I now to verify - thank you)

I will get a survey done before I get much further - sounds like a prudent thing to do.

Assuming there are no major problems aside from the missing stern drive, my best estimate is that by the time it it's the water I'd be in about $5-7K depending on the cost of the drive. PLUS a lot of elbow grease, but that ok. From what I've in classifieds, it seems to me that as long as I'm in that range I'm not too far in as far as $ are concerned.

The running debate has been power vrs sail. Based on what I expect we would use the boat for, power makes more sense to me. I had been going back and forth with the "but wind is free" thing, until I started talking to some sailing guys about sail costs. Ouch. I guess now matter how you look at it, if you're going to go boating, you're going to spend $ - it's just a matter of where!

Bob
            Sailboats are expensive too. Need new sails? A new Chevy 350 is cheaper.

Source the drive FIRST. Once you source one, everything else can be fixed.
            Matt Train
            BOC Site Team
            Chicagoland, IL

Comment

I agree with the statement - find the drive first, then proceed.

this boat will not sell fast, so I would first try and find a working KC drive (since you want to be in the water for $7 grand that eliminates buying a new VP drive etc). Depending on that outcome, negotiate the price of the boat.

I am a bit of cynic, but if I really loved the boat, I would convert to new/used mercruiser or volvo powertrain from the start. But that wouldnt happen for 7 grand, even if the boat were free. I think the top price for the boat as is should be like $3 grand.

Comment

We were sailors for about 13 years, loved it. Had small powerboats before the sailboats. Now we very much love our 2850 Contessa Command Bridge. Way less work, awesome layout etc. Some weekends we don't even take her out, just hang at the dock and use her for a cabin. Our marina is a mix of sail and power and we all have a great time together, no issues of what boat you have (sail vs power) we are all just boating and having fun! Hope it all works out for you.

Comment

Working...
                X